Cincinatti Sabre/Arrow spindles differences between oil lubed and greased

Thread: Cincinatti Sabre/Arrow spindles differences between oil lubed and greased

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cincinatti Sabre/Arrow spindles differences between oil lubed and greased

Ive got a 94 Cinci Sabre 750. I recently picked up a new old stock spindle with the factory certification papers. My old spindle is still ok but getting a little old in the tooth and this one was cheap. My original spindle was grease lubed and still had a small amount of grease in the bearings. It has 3 grooves on the spindle taper end for a labyrinth seal. No holes in the presetting cap. See photo below. The new spindle has very little grease in the top bearing, maybe 1/2 of a BB size drop at each ball. A little more on the bottom bearing that i can see. Definitely a little less than the old spindle bearings. See photo of new spindle upper bearing below.

The new spindle has a part number on the paperwork of M161233 and is the same in every dimension but has a different configuration on the taper end labyrinth seal. The taper has a cup that fits into a corresponding recess in the presetting cap and there is a small hole drilled into the presetting cap for drainage. See photo below.

My concern is that this is a oil lubed spindle and the hole is for oil drainage only, and the grease is in there for assembly only and just gets washed away in an oil lubed Cinci . Anyone know for sure about the differences between the two types? If it is oil lubed, Im thinking I can just wash it out and relube with Kluber.