VFS5 Drive problems - Switch to Vickers Vector drive? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VFS5 Drive problems - Switch to Vickers Vector drive?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: VFS5 Drive problems - Switch to Vickers Vector drive?

Quote Originally Posted by petesurrey View Post
    Thanks Mike I can understand the frustration sorry I didnt mean to oversimplify. The truth of that matter is with a circuit schematic I might have a chance but without one it is as you say 40-80 hrs of studying.
    Exactly! Well put. Unfortunately some companies stance on releasing schematics is strictly verboten.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mike for the correction as I was misinformed by a tech who clearly has no idea what he's on about as he was that certain it was the VFS5, after some diy troubleshooting from your explanation, we finally have the mill up and running, big props to you and thank you so much for the knowledge!

We pulled the PSR and gave it a clean and changed a fuse + another component I don't know the name of but is a black semi circle with 3 legs soldered to the board and now we can go from 0 to 3000rpm whereas beforehand we had to go by 100~150rpm increments to bring spindle up to desired speed

Would you recommend regreasing the spindle bearings (or any components requiring lubes or replacements) as the mill centre has been collecting dust for more six months and one of the employees has been diagnosing (the same guy that was so sure it was the vfs5) in his own ways running the mill for few hours without checking if the machine has sufficient lube nor realized the cooling fans are not functional?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by exedy View Post
    Would you recommend regreasing the spindle bearings (or any components requiring lubes or replacements).....nor realized the cooling fans are not functional?
    Nope; those are very expensive high speed bearings and get lubed lightly when replaced, then never touched again for years until replaced next time. Take it apart to lube and you will more damage than good. I know of no one who does that to these.

Cooling fans are sorta important, yep! Make sure you have them all running; the ones on the vfs5 are a must; without, you won't machine or even run at high speed for more than a few minutes before overheating, the one in the motor not working will probably let you get by for 30 minutes at load but why hurt the stuff that way, right?

Sounds like you are getting it going nicely. Thanks for the feedback!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12