Spindle Problem On Arrow2

Thread: Spindle Problem On Arrow2

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle Problem On Arrow2

Well I've just about got this thing going, but now I have an error with the spindle. I believe the machine is fine, but the regenerative braking on the spindle motor may be too much for my phase converter. I need to figure out if I can some how add bleeder resistors, or capacitors to take up this energy. Only other option is to purchase a larger phase converter, but that is a big cost to incur, especially if it ends up being a fault with the machine after all.

Any ideas?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Just another thought.... Is it possible to change some parameters in the spindle drive to slow the breaking down?

Downloads
    Uploads

have you asked the good guys at fives yet seems to me they could tell you where the acc/dec parameters are as well as where and how much DB you can add?

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't asked the guys at 5's yet, but I have messed with parameters with no luck. Everyone I talk to is blaming my phase converter, so I've found a larger one. I should have it early next week to try. I'm hoping it's going to fix my troubles, but I'm skeptical. My Phase Perfect that I have here should give me an error code if I am exceeding the regenerative capabilities, and I am not getting an alarm. Only time will tell.

On the plus side, I ran programs in the air yesterday for about 2 hours on both of my machines simultaneously. If I didn't go over 1000 rpm on the new machine, both machines ran flawlessly on my phase perfect converter. I'm getting close....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coop31 were you able to get your mill straightened out? The reason I ask is I will be running one soon on a rpc. I have owned several of the arrows and Sabres from the 90's but have never tried one on a phase converter.
    Thank you,
    Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have it sorted out yet. Just been too busy to spend any time on it.

I've been working in small shops for the last 10 years and all machines were run off of RPC's. Never been a problem. Ive been running my Arrow 750 here for the last 2 years off of a 10 HP Phase Perfect. Ive actually had both machines (750, & 1250) running off of the 10 hp phase perfect as long as i run the 1250 at 500 rpm so the spindle doesn't error out.

If I were to do it again, I would have bought the next bigger phase converter. Just didn't see myself getting the second machine at the time.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Coop thank you for the quick response. When I first got started with cnc's some 20 years ago I was at home and ran Fadals on rpc's with out problems. I have a 25 hp converter now and have found a 40hp I can buy for a song. I would prefer to run my vmc's off of separate rpc's but I'll take what ever i can get right now.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Downloads
    Uploads

Well after a couple months of not messing with the machine because I've been too busy, I finally got somewhere today. Ive been running it for about 2 hours now with no problems. All I did was make some changes to the control software and bam, she seems to be working fine. I'll have to give Mark at call at Mag after the holidays to confirm what the settings should be, but looks like I've finally got it. Anyone out there with an Arrow 2 that can check parameters for me? System Config, Axis/Servo, Spindle.... What are the settings?

HAPPY NEW YEAR......

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=coop31;1407308]....All I did was make some changes to the control software and bam, she seems to be working fine..../QUOTE]

Pretty dang good 'all you did!.." HA! took more than just guessing! Good thinking! GOOD JOB!

Mike@@@KilroyWasHere.com