Spindle drive not ready

Thread: Spindle drive not ready

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Spindle drive not ready

Hi all,

Please take a look at the attached picture!

"The spindle enable signal [M1SPDL_ENBL] is not on but spindle drive ready [M1SPDL_READY] signal is on. It should not be on at this time.

The spindle enable signal [M1SPDL_ENBL] has been set on, but the spindle drive ready signal [M1SPDL_READY] has not been received"

I am getting this alarm during the align procedure!

Does anyone have solution or suggestion what to do!
    I would appreciate any help!

Thank you
    MikeD

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

brand? model no? picture?

Last edited by mike_Kilroy; 05-15-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry,
    Cincinnati Arrow 750 Acramatic 2100
    Trying attachment again!

Thanks
    MikeD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle drive not ready-img_0723-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

At the risk of stating the obvious, in your picture, it says see cause (2).

This is saying the control is outputting the spindle enable signal, and it expects to see a spindle ready signal back from the drive within a specified amount of time. If it is not seeing this, either the spindle drive is not ready (i.e. faulted), or the drive is outputting the signal, but it is not making it to the control.

I'd start by checking the spindle drive for a fault, and if no fault on the drive, check the wiring between the drive and the input to see where it is being lost. Look in your electrical schematics to find the wire numbers and terminals to check. I don't have prints with me, but I think ther is also a relay in this circuit you may need to check.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike9a I sent you a PM the other day offering same idea and ways to trouble shoot this - did you receive it?

Like Maverick says, check for fault - it is identified by a RED lite on the front of the VFS5 drive. When good, you have 2 green lites on, when you enable the drive the 3rd green lite comes on. No red. If red, bad.

If all 3 greens on, no reds on, check drive up contact from drive - it is C2 pins 16&17 (called watchdog on cmi print).

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I sometimes get this fault after a brown out.

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike9a,

Just want to confirm we will repair this for you by replacing the old batt back ram memory chip, reprogram the password program and parameters, and test on a v031 motor.

for others, I will repeat your comments about how/why this happened... you let machine sit for 4-6 weeks w/o power on it and then it would never come back on w/o fault. before that, you did not leave power off so long and you could reset fault by powering up and down a few times and get it to catch and go. these chips were meant to have a 5-6 year life and this is now over 14 years....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

Yes, that is exactly what happened!

Connected MotionLink software and got the codes!
    Sent you list by email.

Last error detected:
    ERR 83 BAD OR OUT OF RANGE

Thank you.
    MikeD

Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like we are on the right track. The only problem is all those OVER CURRENT faults before the bad/out of range.... that is not good. overcurrent usually is for real and is telling you the motor is shorted (25% of the time), the cable to the motor is shorted (24% of the time), or the drive is shorted (50% of the time). You have the remaining 1% chance that it is due to wrong parameters from bad memory chip causing the drive to try to oiutput wrong current out of control. send us the drive and we will let you know which it is.

Default Re: Spindle drive not ready

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this group but have come up on a problem with our Cincinnati Arrow 1000 (A2100 Control) that I cannot seem to get around, but it sounds very similar to this previous thread.

Quick history, recently I had some overcurrent faults on the X-Axis BDS4 drive and found it to be a bad winding in the X-Axis servo. After replacing the X-axis servo I also found a bad cable which has also been replaced, so everything is now in good working order there. The machine had been sitting down for about 6 weeks awaiting parts.

Yesterday, I started it up, and during the align process the spindle did not appear to make it thru alignment (even though it said "axes aligned"). A few seconds later I got an error "Shotbolt release cycle not completed", followed by a "spindle drive not ready" alarm. I believe the "shotbolt" error is just the product of the spindle not completing its cycle during alignment. Checking ProgramWare I found the M1SPDL_READY is ON and the M1SPDL_ENBL is OFF. The M1SPDL_READY should be OFF at this time. All the drives, VFS5 and PSR are showing green lights. (Please see attached photos)

From the previous thread it appears the problem was fixed but did not explain how. (or maybe I just missed something)

Really really appreciate anyone's help at this point.

Thanks,
    Kyle

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spindle drive not ready-spindle-drive-ready-jpg   Spindle drive not ready-m1spdl_ready-jpg   Spindle drive not ready-m1spdl_enable-jpg   Spindle drive not ready-shot-bolt-released-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Solutions to random stuff like this generally are replacing the dead battery in RAM in VFS5. Doing that usually requires cleaning all PCBs,, replacing all BUS capacitors, reprogramming the drive with new BRAM chip installed, testing all io and running for a couple hours under load on motor. We do this almost daily now. I cannot guarantee this is your problem, but good guess after 30 years... we supplied these new, and have supported them every since. email us at sales@KilroyWasHere.com if you want more info on what we can offer, and/or google VFS5 repair and you should find some 3rd party folks who say they repair these.

Hi Mike,

I sent you an email. Thanks for your help!

Kyle