CNC for 6th to 8th graders

Thread: CNC for 6th to 8th graders

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC for 6th to 8th graders

I am new to forums and to cnc. I just got a grant to put a cnc router (either 2d or 3D) in my math/technology classroom and I am looking for a relatively inexpensive desktop solution for both hardware and software. I would prefer a minimum working area of 12 x 15 x 3" but am flexible. The total grant if for nearly $5,000 but I would need about $1000 for misc items including supplies in the classroom.

Are there any specific threads I should look at or any advice would be welcome.

Shane

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Maybe look into something like a Microcarve CNC. It's a little smaller than what you want, but you can probably get 2 of them. I'd suggest 2 because having 20+ kids fighting for time with one machine will be painful. Splitting the classroom up will be way more efficient and allow the kids actually time on the machine.

As for costs, figure another $550 per machine on electronics. $200 on a router and mount. Assuming you get the heavier duty machine (probably wise for a bunch of students) you're talking about roughly $1500 per machine. That leaves $2000 for software, bits, ect ect ect.

For software, you're going to want to look into Mach3 to run the CNC machines. I'd dedicate a PC for each router, so you're looking at 2 copies of Mach 3 ($350). After that, you need design software. The cheap way is to get something like Vectric's Cut 2D and design all of your work in something like Inkscape, Illustrator, Corel Draw, Sketchup ect ect ect. It all depends on what your school has licenses for. Inkscape for example is free and legal to use in a school environment. It compares well to Corel Draw and Illustrator. Draftsite is another free piece of software that is legal to use in schools. It compares well to AutoCAD. I'd personally suggest sticking with 2D and 2.5D carving at the moment and work your way up to 3D stuff. 3D stuff is very time consuming and will be hard to run in a 30-40 minute period. Many 3D carvings take hours and hours if not days.

Budget:

Microcarve MV1 = $599+shipping
    Nema 23 Electronics Kit = $520+shipping (cncrouterparts)
    Bosch Colt Router = $100 (Amazon.com)
    Bosch Colt Mount = $55 (K2cnc)
    Switches & Misc = $50
    Mach3 = $175
    Vectric Cut2D = $150
    Inkscape = Free
    Draftsite = Free

Total = ~$1800 (including shipping). $3600 if you buy two machines which leaves you a healthy budget for materials and bits.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree MicroCarve machine is a good way to train furture CNCers. If you want you can save another $100 and use DraftSight and CNC Programming Software Tools to make your G-code.
    Cheers
    Bob A
    CNC Projects

Downloads
    Uploads

Thirded for MicroCarve. And/or John's original design, the Fireball V90:

FireBall V90 CNC Router -

CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining...

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneteacher View Post
    I am new to forums and to cnc. I just got a grant to put a cnc router (either 2d or 3D) in my math/technology classroom and I am looking for a relatively inexpensive desktop solution for both hardware and software. I would prefer a minimum working area of 12 x 15 x 3" but am flexible. The total grant if for nearly $5,000 but I would need about $1000 for misc items including supplies in the classroom.

Are there any specific threads I should look at or any advice would be welcome.

Shane
    normally i prefer the larger machines like the camaster stinger

CAMaster CNC - CNC Routers, Plasma Cutters, & Lasers - Home of the Cobra CNC Router

yet i would look into the carvewright, it is safe and fairly easy to implement. as well they have truly got the machine in a good way, it will do a larger footprint for your money and you will have some left over

James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Downloads
    Uploads

that little microcarve is pretty cool !

James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

Downloads
    Uploads

you should be able to get autocad inventor for free (educational licenses are free) , it would be overkill as far as what you'd probably need for cad but it will give the kids a lot of power at their finger tips . also a low cost cad/cam program is cambam , at $150 it offers a good number of features , I'm sure if you talk with them then they may be able to come up with a deal to setup the whole classroom .

And another vote for the microcarve I've been dealing and talking with John for a few years now and I know how much work and effort that he puts into each of those machines , they are solid and well designed and made to last for years , they are a heck of a buy at the price that he sells them for .

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Thank you all!!

Wow, what a great first experience with forums! The information you guys supplied is great! I will look into all of the ideas carefully. Thanks for all your help!