3 phase outlet into Hy VFD?

Thread: 3 phase outlet into Hy VFD?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 3 phase outlet into Hy VFD?

I'm wiring up a VFD in a workshop where there is a 4-prong 3 phase 220 V outlet. I know the Hy VFD is designed to convert single phase into 3 phase power for the spindle. But will I destroy the VFD if I use the three phase outlet power (Hot, hot & ground wires as I've read elsewhere here)?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 3 phase outlet into Hy VFD?

Are you sure it's a 3-phase outlet? "Hot, hot & ground" is not 3-phase, it sounds more like single-phase 220 with a center tap (common in US).

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by chzdanish View Post
    I'm wiring up a VFD in a workshop where there is a 4-prong 3 phase 220 V outlet. I know the Hy VFD is designed to convert single phase into 3 phase power for the spindle. But will I destroy the VFD if I use the three phase outlet power (Hot, hot & ground wires as I've read elsewhere here)?
    If you only have ( 2 ) Hot wires, at that outlet it is only 220 Single Phase, for 3phase it would have 3 Hot wires, if you do have 3phase ( 3 Hot wires ) then yes you can use ( 2 ) of the wires and the Ground

If you only have ( 2 Hot wires ) then connect them to terminal R and T and Ground to the Ground Terminal, and that is all there is to the input supply

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the Hy not accept a 3 phase input?

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    If you only have ( 2 ) Hot wires, at that outlet it is only 220 Single Phase, for 3phase it would have 3 Hot wires, if you do have 3phase ( 3 Hot wires ) then yes you can use ( 2 ) of the wires and the Ground

If you only have ( 2 Hot wires ) then connect them to terminal R and T and Ground to the Ground Terminal, and that is all there is to the input supply
    Yeah, it’s three phase. Anyway we figured it out. The VFD accepts both single and threee phase. Ground to E, black (hot) to R, White (neutral) to S, red (hot) to T. The VFD powered right up.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, it’s three phase. Anyway we figured it out. The VFD accepts both single and threee phase. Ground to E, black (hot) to R, White (neutral) to S, red (hot) to T. The VFD powered right up.
    If you have three phase then there is no neutral used, 3phase is a (live) phase for each R,S,T, some mistakenly connect the neutral of a N.A. style L1, L2 and N. to these units.
    In this case the neutral does absolutely nothing and is superfluous and should NOT be connected.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

You did not figure it out to well

You did not read my post, if you have a Neutral remove it before you damage the VFD, You need to connect as I said in the first post

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It should not incur any damage just that it is not needed.
    There is zero current in the neutral when connected this way.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    It should not incur any damage just that it is not needed.
    There is zero current in the neutral when connected this way.
    Al.
    This is correct, in theory, we have had this discussion before, there have been some on the Zone that have done the same, and have not had that experience, when they have used the Neutral with 240v NA single phase connection

There can be Damage caused by doing this, is if the supply sub Panel is not installed / wired correctly ( Main Power Supply Sub Panel when installed by the home owner, and not buy a qualified Electrician ) connecting the Neutral to the VFD can become a dead short whamo good by IGBT

In theory this should never happen, but it does, without knowing if the Sub Panel has been wired correctly, there is no correct answer, below is a Sub Panel install by a Home Handy man, this will not work, and there are at least 5 code violation's in this install

There are many that install Sub Panels incorrectly, and there are lots of examples on the net with this problem

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 phase outlet into Hy VFD?-electrical-sub-panel-png  
    Mactec54