HQD vs HSD Spindles

Thread: HQD vs HSD Spindles

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default HQD vs HSD Spindles

Does anyone have / used both HSD (Italian or USA) spindle(s) and HQD (Chinese copy) spindles?

Any comment on quality, reliability, power, precision?

We're looking to cut aluminium fast - so thinking a 6Kw or 9Kw option.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: HQD vs HSD Spindles

I did have a look at some Chinese ATC spindle specs, I don't recall what brands I was looking at. I noticed that the power specs were completely different in the Chinese ones I looked at, for example, a 6kw spindle meant that it used 6 kw max input power (electricity), not that the spindle output power was 6kw.

Also, if you look at the power curves on the HSD website, many of those spindles will also have momentary or short term power outputs much higher than the continuous rating, so again, when looking at the same "kW" for a Chinese or HSD spindle, they are not comparable. Also, the HSD spindles will tell you the max current draws at different RPMs.

So really you need to dive into the figures and documentation to understand what a comparable HSD spindle would be power rating wise compared to a Chinese one. Again, I don't recall what brands I was looking at, the one you are talking about may not be the same.

As to the quality and reliability differences, I can't comment, as I don't know.

Is this for a machine that you are building yourself?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply - for something we are ordering from China - trying to figure out where it is better to save money and where it is better to spend it. We're looking for speed and accuracy, so an HSD sounds more sensible, but they are quite a bit more expensive and people are talking about Chinese spindles as getting quite good. That makes it tempting to go for the Chinese Spindle if they are comparable. Essentially it sounds like we need to look at the power curves, torque output, power rating. I would guess also the type and number of bearings and run out, but I'm not sure that the HQD's will have reliable stats on run out?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lael View Post
    Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply - for something we are ordering from China - trying to figure out where it is better to save money and where it is better to spend it. We're looking for speed and accuracy, so an HSD sounds more sensible, but they are quite a bit more expensive and people are talking about Chinese spindles as getting quite good. That makes it tempting to go for the Chinese Spindle if they are comparable. Essentially it sounds like we need to look at the power curves, torque output, power rating. I would guess also the type and number of bearings and run out, but I'm not sure that the HQD's will have reliable stats on run out?
    I wouldn't trust any of the stats they give you to be super reliable, better to find out from an end user, it's the whole truth in advertising thing.

Most people here use the cheap Chinese spindles for their DIY builds, so still not in the HQD's price category.

Some people here have bought machines from China with ATC, so some of those might be HQD, so chances are someone with first hand experience may be able to answer, unfortunately I can't.

For the machine that I am building, I am using a spindle from a Biesse Rover that I purchased second hand and am derating to 220V. I have no idea if it was a great or really stupid idea yet.

May I ask what machine you are buying and from what company? So many different Chinese companies out there.......some appear to be just crap, but some could be excellent, I don't know. In your shoes, especially if you want to cut lots of aluminum, I would want to hear some testimonials from other users who use it for that purpose on a regular basis.

Also, do you mind if I ask approximately where you are located, as in state or province?

Downloads
    Uploads

HQD 9kw spindle is enough for wood working, but you want to cut aluminum fast, suggest HSD spindle, at same time, there a special constant water cooling spindle for cutting aluminum.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HQD vs HSD Spindles-hqd-9kw-atc-1-jpg   HQD vs HSD Spindles-hqd-9kw-atc-7-jpg   HQD vs HSD Spindles-business-card-allen-zhang-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Allen,
    What is the constant water cooling spindle?

Downloads
    Uploads

As you know, spindle rpm have a effect on power, when rpm is low, power is small.
    Constant type spindle ,when rpm is low, spindle can keep almost same power.
    when cutting aluminum , spindle rpm is too fast, aluminum will around tool. suggest choose low rpm.
    water cooling ATC spindle cutting aluminum letter

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HQD vs HSD Spindles-bt40-threading-function-atc-spindle-3-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

I have an HQD spindle 4.5kw and so far I have had no issues or no stalls. I'm cutting walnut, mahogany, oak, .50" acrylic and etc. I choose to go that route rather than the HSD or water cooled spindle.