How to turn on spindle via software?

Thread: How to turn on spindle via software?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to turn on spindle via software?

I assembled my new 6040 engraver today and everything works with the exception that I can't get the PlanetCNC software to turn the spindle on/off. I can hear a relay clicking when I try to turn it on/off via software, but the spindle doesn't actually respond.

The spindle works fine using the manual control. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the "local" light is on. I'm able to bring up other PXX displays but have no idea what these are.

Could someone kindly direct me to a reference link? Maybe even give me short explanation as to how to use the local settings?

TIA

Fred

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to turn on spindle via software?-sxcnc-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to turn on spindle via software?

Yes, you need to switch the VFD into remote mode. It looks like the nowforever VFD, but open your box to check.

If it's nowforever you need to set P0-000 to 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have zero documentation (not too surprising for an ebay machine). is there a reference link that explains how the cursor buttons work? Thanks for the info...

Downloads
    Uploads

This is for the E-100, I suspect you will have a D-100. Nonetheless, most seems to be the same, the manual was correct for anything I wanted to do.

Again just take the lid off the black box and check your VFD model number before altering anything.

https://www.docdroid.net/NYibeDM/now...00.pdf#page=52

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's the correct setting. I tried changing it to both 1 and 2 and the local light went off.

0 = keyboard
    1 = analog terminal control
    2 = communications control

Not exactly sure what a analog terminal control is but I'm pretty sure I don't have one hooked up so it probably has to be set to comm control.

Apparently I also have to setup the correct pins for speed and direction before the software will turn on the spindle. The pins are not setup for speed and direction and right now I don't have a clue as to what pins to use for speed and direction. Obviously still need to do a little more reading. Still pretty good progress for day 1. Thanks..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ftherrmann View Post
    Not exactly sure what a analog terminal control is but I'm pretty sure I don't have one hooked up so it probably has to be set to comm control.
    You can control the spindle in one of 3 ways:
    Keyboard: local keypad
    Analog terminal: A voltage supplied by the interface board, typical in the range 0-10 V
    Communications control: Using a RS485 serial connection with ModBus protocol

You really have to look inside the controller box. Is there a connection (other than power supply) between the interface board and the vfd? From the outside of the box you cannot tell what components are used.

What software are you using to control the machine? If you are using Mach3 you should be able to setup the spindle control with ModBus and control speed, direction, on/off and read out the real output frequency, inverter temperature, output current/voltage etc.

Ciao, Udo

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a related question. I'm a newbie so this may have been answered somewhere but I can't find it. I have the standard Chinese 5 axis (blue relay) BOB and I think I understand switching the spindle on/off & speed with Mach3 (in my pic below) but I haven't seen discussion on firing up other things similarly & simultaneously. i.e my spindle is water cooled and the machine will need a vacuum. There is a P17 "relay" pin on the BOB. Could I use this to ground out (say active low) the power coils of a relay board (activate them) for my water cooling etc? If so how would I get that to happen at the same time I fire up the spindle?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to turn on spindle via software?-bob-relay-jpg