Gantry construction: steel vs. aluminum? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gantry construction: steel vs. aluminum?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Gantry construction: steel vs. aluminum?

Hey guys,

I should clarify that approximate pricing is FOB port (not delivered to North America). There is a fair sized charge for that part too. And as we are finding out the amount can vary quite a bit with lots of fees and charges. If we do go this route, I plan on posting more info so that it's more clear.

I had thought of the "bigger door" option too, but I believe it's a non-starter. I don't think the landlord would appreciate it! I would also be a non-starter to intend to patch up a larger opening due to the construction of the building. We are ground floor (concrete), but the door we have now was an opening that was previously a window. It's not to say it couldn't be done (pretty much anything could be...), but it's a balance of cost and benefit. That would be large costs and would take out of the budget for other things.

The on it's side had also crossed my mind, but given the weights involved (for the big machines), again the costs/risks of such a thing made me put it aside quickly. If it was to get a large Chinese machine (like the 1325's) in then it would likely work due to the lower weight, but then that's just a bigger version of what we're looking at here and not a solid machine like that Thermwood.

And to your point Gerry about the older machines and maintenance, it's certainly a factor also. It's a common topic in discussions of lathes for example, get some old iron or a new asian machine. While mass/rigidity is important, it isn't the only factor. I went the Chinese route on that one myself (but a specific, heavy spec one) and I think it was the right decision.

I should also say that I don't see this as the end point but rather a step along the way. The primary use is going to be plastic and not huge volume. The aluminum work is really more R&D and low volume, a few parts a month. Any of these machines will cut aluminum, but it won't be quick in most cases!

We attended the CMTS show last month. Most of the gear there was specific for metal production, and that's what you need if you are going to jam out large numbers of metal parts. There was a DMG VMC there about the size of a car garage with a picture window on the side of it as big as the one in my living room machining a planetary gear about 2' across. Cool for sure, but way more than I need (and I don't have the millions required laying around!). But even the smallest of these are are way more of an investment than we are talking about here and start to come up as limited in terms of capabilities (part size/work area).

Anyway, more to come as we continue on this!

Thanks,

-Gord

Downloads
    Uploads

$10-$12K USD is $12.7K to $15.2K Canadian. That's getting pricey.
    If you source your own electronics and spindle, you can knock close to $3000 off that price.

A 4x8 PRO kit is $5100.

Their plug and play Nema 34 kit is $2600. You could build a comparable or better) control for $1000-$1300.

Their plug and play Spindle kit is $1700. You can get a 2.2Kw spindle and VFD for $300.

Yes, it's still not cheap, but you get a solid machine, with a solid warranty. And you know exactly what you are getting.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    If you source your own electronics and spindle, you can knock close to $3000 off that price.

A 4x8 PRO kit is $5100.

Their plug and play Nema 34 kit is $2600. You could build a comparable or better) control for $1000-$1300.

Their plug and play Spindle kit is $1700. You can get a 2.2Kw spindle and VFD for $300.

Yes, it's still not cheap, but you get a solid machine, with a solid warranty. And you know exactly what you are getting.
    Not quite accurate on the difference in cost to have the plug and play systems or roll your own.
    You are not just getting a spindle/VFD and or electronics. You are getting all the electronics including relays, switches, wiring, connectors, enclosures, drives, power supplies, smooth stepper, fuses, fans, mounts and customer service. Oh and it's plug and play.

I would say around $1500 to 1800 for homemade electronics and $600 to 800 for a spindle ballpark.

Oh and not included was any booze needed to get over the stress caused by having to do all that stuff yourself.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

4 Leadshine AM882's @ $70ea = $280
    UC300ETH + UB1 Breakout Board = $380 (Comparable to ESS, and a better breakout board)
    4 - 906oz Nema 34 Steppers @ $80 each = $320
    Antek 67V 22a power supply = $220

For $1200, this includes speed control and relay for the VFD (on the UB1). All you need to add is an enclosure, and wiring, and this will outperform the CNCRP setup.
    This also allows you to run UCCNC, which is $100 cheaper than Mach3, and better.

Yes, the warranty and plug and play are well worth the money to some people, but if money's tight, you can save a lot, at the expense of a lot of your time.

I'll stand by my cost estimate.

Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html[/URL]

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    [URL]http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html[/URL]

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    [URL]http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html[/URL]

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Downloads
    Uploads

Understood.
    It does not suit everyone's budget and would not have met mine several years ago. I have to pick and choose my battles now since time is one thing I have in very short supply.
    I am also still getting comfortable with Path Pilot and Haas controllers, so I haven't looked too far beyond those and Mach 3 yet.
    I do want to look into UCCNC, acorn and other options just to become familiar with what is currently available.

I have been working on automating my spring machine and think I have all the automation parts to convert it to cnc. The major things left are the wire coiler (easy Part) and the base of the machine itself that all the tooling will mount to.
    It will most likely be a T-track plate. That should give me the versatility I need initially.
    I know Arduino and Raspberry could easily control this, but have only completed a few minor projects with Arduino. It would require more time to learn how to use it. I haven't done anything with raspberry. So looking to use Mach 3 on it to start with simply because it is what I have and know in depth and can manipulate the heck out of it.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Hello, Nic,

I saw your words:
    Also I looked around at a few more threads. I'm convinced that some of the "good" reviews this company has received are fake. Many are from people with 6 posts or less, looked like some created an account for the sole purpose of giving a good review about Acctek, with a command of the English language that is reminiscent of Otto Frederick's coerced confession in North Korea.

Not trying to be negative towards you in any way Gord. Just giving my honest opinion. I realize it does sound harsh. My recommendation is to stay away from this company.

This sounds very funny. Many positive posts are fake. This is s
    hameful fraud.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gord - How did this project work out? Peter

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gord - Al or steel could be the same weight so no diff. If you can do the motion calcs then you can decide for yourself. That size machine uses ballscrews with very large gantries. Comes down to pitch, diameter and bearing specs. If your up for the math's Hiwin publish all the design formulas you need to size the screws and bearings. Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12