Need Help! CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES

Thread: CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES

Hello guys,

I bought a 6040 4 axis CNC router machine on ebay, link here https://www.ebay.com/itm/253057776727

A little resume: everything came well packed, no missing components, well instructed assembling instructions, software, after all perfect.
    After everything was set up to work, I put down a piece of 1/4" plastic to do some engraving, after 15 mins into very light cut the machine stopped, I contacted the supplier and it was the power supply, he was very responsable and sent me another power supply, but this one came burned already (don't even know what happend here), because I waited a full month to get this replaced I just went on my own and bought a brand new power supply on ebay which matches the one that came on the machine link here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Generic-24V...53.m2749.l2649

Here is the issue, even this new power supply aftwer a few cuts, the power supply exploded, really it did. I got in touch with someone who has a few industrial Milling machines nearby, and he told me that 1 power supply is not enough even for light cuts and even if "it says it has the capacity", he said is better a to have 1 power supply with lower Amps of course, per each motor/driver, than 1 power supply to hold the 4 motors and water pump.

what do you guys recommend? anyone had happend this same situation?

Here a few pictures of the control box and components.

I will love your comments and HELP! (almost 2 months with the machine and haven't done anything with it )

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-1-jpg   CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-2-jpg   CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-3-jpg   CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-4-jpg  

CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-5-jpg   CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-6-jpg   CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-7-jpg   CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES-8-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC 6040 4 AXIS POWER SUPPLY ISSUES

Personally I never use SMPS (regulated) powers supplies for steppers or servo's, you are far better with a linear supply, they can be had on line, or they are easy to put together with a mains transformer, bridge rectifier and capacitor.
    They may cost a little more initially but not only are they hardier, but easy to fix Should they fail at all.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Personally I never use SMPS (regulated) powers supplies for steppers or servo's, you are far better with a linear supply, they can be had on line, or they are easy to put together with a mains transformer, bridge rectifier and capacitor.
    They may cost a little more initially but not only are they hardier, but easy to fix Should they fail at all.
    Al.
    I really don't have much knowledge into electronics to build my own, but if you recomend me one, ebay/amazon/any other place links would be great!

Downloads
    Uploads

There is a guy on ebay also had a company that used to sell both the Toroidal transformers and also the complete supplies, IIRC he lists on ebay as jonango and his company is Antek
    The nice thing about building your own with a toroidal transformer you can easily modify a winding if you had to and also add a small supply winding.
    Al..

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

if the power supply was not bought locally its possible the voltage selector was not set for the mains supply voltage in the Dominican Republic

very often switch mode power supplies are instantly destroyed when the voltage selector switch is set to 120V and its connected to a 240V supply !!!

a power supply set to 240V and connected to a 120V supply may fail , depending on its design
    in a poorly designed SMPS the switching device(s) will stay switched on for too long a time as it tries to compensate for the low mains supply voltage

John