Setting up 3040 for aluminum

Thread: Setting up 3040 for aluminum

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Setting up 3040 for aluminum

Hello guys Ive been running my 3040 for about a month or so, finally getting a hang of the cnc controller (mach3) and tool paths (fusion 360). Does anyone have any experience cutting aluminum and that can share some tips for feed rates and depth of cuts.

I have the 800watt water cooled spindle.

Thanks in advance!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Setting up 3040 for aluminum

Have you used the g-wizard free trial up yet? My machine is a bit beefier, but a good starting point would be to get on the g-wizard free trial, dial in the settings for your machine, turn the tortoise/hare slider right the way down to 1% fine finish, then take 25% off the recommended feed rate and slowly start speeding things up and making slight tweaks to the rpm on the fly in mach3 until you find the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Mmpie;2104056]Have you used the g-wizard free trial up yet? My machine is a bit beefier, but a good starting point would be to get on the g-wizard free trial, dial in the settings for your machine, turn the tortoise/hare slider right the way down to 1% fine finish, then take 25% off the recommended feed rate and slowly start speeding things up and making slight tweaks to the rpm on the fly in mach3 until you find the sweet spot....

I'll take a look at that! thanks for the help, I was cutting around 100mm/min with no issues, one day and then went back another day and tried it and the aluminum kept gumming up(same stock and same rates) .

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG502 View Post
    I'll take a look at that! thanks for the help, I was cutting around 100mm/min with no issues, one day and then went back another day and tried it and the aluminum kept gumming up(same stock and same rates) .
    Are you using any coolant / cutting fluid? For aluminum I like WD-40 or kerosene. Doesn't take much but makes a world of difference.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Downloads
    Uploads

on a 3020 my optimum speed is only 200, a plunge rate of 50, I use 70% kerosene 30% cooking oil mix together as a coolant, 1/8 carbide single flute, it`s a bit slow due to the fact it had only 800w watercooled spindle (24K rpm) gun parts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Are you using any coolant / cutting fluid? For aluminum I like WD-40 or kerosene. Doesn't take much but makes a world of difference.
    I was dry milling but blowing chips away with air, it was cutting like a dream. Came back same feed rates and couldn't keep the bit from clogging up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by KH0UJ View Post
    on a 3020 my optimum speed is only 200, a plunge rate of 50, I use 70% kerosene 30% cooking oil mix together as a coolant, 1/8 carbide single flute, it`s a bit slow due to the fact it had only 800w watercooled spindle (24K rpm) gun parts?
    I'm running the same spindle, I'm actually milling brackets to hold my mister and brackets to hold a larger stepper on 4th axis. Also milling custom molds.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JoshG502 View Post
    I'm running the same spindle, I'm actually milling brackets to hold my mister and brackets to hold a larger stepper on 4th axis. Also milling custom molds.
    Thats awesome!
    but what feeds & speeds are you using?