Need Help! Is this a good machine for what i want to do?

Thread: Is this a good machine for what i want to do?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Is this a good machine for what i want to do?

Dear forum members, i am new to the cnc world and would love me a simple cnc machine.
    I want to start engraving lego (from blocks till minifigures till transparent glass)
    I have been looking online and found one within my budget and has a decent size so i can still also do other stuff with it.
    I choose this one cause it is possible to send from Germany so i wont have to pay import tax.
    Is this a good beginner machine?
    And what laser would you recommend 2500mw,5500mw? I want to try photo engraving on wood/metal (aluminum? Have no clue want to try new stuff) not going to cut pieces with the laser so dont need a 5500mw (i guess?)
    The cnc i found is a 3018 (big enough for lego + small wood projects
    http://s.aliexpress.com/NRbUfuye
    (from AliExpress Android)

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Kokkie20; 10-06-2017 at 07:51 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    I have this machine for a month. You can have a look at my posts and see what i learned so far.
    Milling legos is possible, maybe, but won't be easy. What material are you going to use?
    Keep in mind that it is very slow. The spindle is relatively slow and have little power,so you need to go slow.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know

Moshe
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokkie20 View Post
    Dear forum members, i am new to the cnc world and would love me a simple cnc machine.
    I want to start engraving lego (from blocks till minifigures till transparent glass)
    I have been looking online and found one within my budget and has a decent size so i can still also do other stuff with it.
    I choose this one cause it is possible to send from Germany so i wont have to pay import tax.
    Is this a good beginner machine?
    And what laser would you recommend 2500mw,5500mw? I want to try photo engraving on wood/metal (aluminum? Have no clue want to try new stuff) not going to cut pieces with the laser so dont need a 5500mw (i guess?)
    The cnc i found is a 3018 (big enough for lego + small wood projects
    http://s.aliexpress.com/NRbUfuye
    (from AliExpress Android)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mosheliv View Post
    Hi,
    I have this machine for a month. You can have a look at my posts and see what i learned so far.
    Milling legos is possible, maybe, but won't be easy. What material are you going to use?
    Keep in mind that it is very slow. The spindle is relatively slow and have little power,so you need to go slow.

Let me know if there is anything else you want to know

Moshe
    At first thank you for your reply

I will take a look at your posts.
    Lego is abs plastic, and i want to go slow to be honest to be sure i dont break the lego (from blocjs till the thin transparent windows).
    What you mean exactly by the material i am going to use?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh i was thinking you might want to make lego bricks from scratch, from wood or metal. That would be much more complicated as its a double sided work. Working on lego bricks shouldn't pose any problems. Abs is reasonably soft and machines well. I would recommend having a look at f-engrave for the engraving. You might want slot cutters (end mills that can plunge) in addition to the v bits to do surfacing and cutting out windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokkie20 View Post
    At first thank you for your reply

I will take a look at your posts.
    Lego is abs plastic, and i want to go slow to be honest to be sure i dont break the lego (from blocjs till the thin transparent windows).
    What you mean exactly by the material i am going to use?