with makita rt0701c ?
    and will it be possible to control makita speed if i upgrade

thanks

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: cnc 6040t 4axis

oh i get answer from other forum ,and sound is what ppl dont like ....
    my came with 800 w that they upgrade to 1.5kw spindle ...
    i want to do some small soft-ish iron steel ...
    i get advice to use carbon or diamond 1 flute bit cause 2 + will burn easy on these speeds
    i need water cooling too (which one will be ok with 6040 ? )
    and i need some box to cut sound even more + water/junk from milling ,any tips for that ??

is it ok to just build around wooden box and some wool for sound isolation from outside and inside rubber plastic sheet for water isolation
    or i need something more ?
    how to protect bearings from junk ?

hhuhh

pls can someone help me
    i'm goin crazy .want to start with it but ....... btw still waiting bits from china )

thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL.....a 6040 cutting steel or "softish iron".....forget it.......your best bet is to invest in a milling machine like an SX3, but it will have to be converted to CNC.......a 6040 is best for wood and plastics and maybe some aluminium.

There are no cheap CNC milling machines out there......you need to convert a manual mill to get a CNC machine if your budget is limited or just buy a mill that is already a CNC machine but expect to pay lots of money.

You could design a CNC moving table router using square steel tube with a thick wall and that would mill everything to a degree that the 6040 won't.

Do you have mechanical skills and tools to do a CNC conversion or build one?

Short answer is.....that 6040 machine is totally inadequate for your needs.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i was thinking to get one sx3 or optimum bf20 brushless motor ,but cnc parts cost over 600€ + 2k € for mill
    + colets +big bits+ 4th axis thing ... 3000k minimum

so i was hoping that 6040 will do if i use small bits like 1 flute 3mm carbon + emulsion ,and to slow down a bit maybe to 2-300mm/min and take 0.1mm
    but ....
    my plan is to build steam engines or basic 2 stroke .but in soft steel ..in max 100x50x50mm so to shave 0.1mm will be normal ..prolly will need 0.01 or less
    so slow easy ... what if i use for these small/slow takes monoblock tool and put in diamond inserts ?
    will it work like that ?
    or i need to replace all alu parts (construction) with steel ??

Downloads
    Uploads

I know what you mean.....the outlay for a ready to run machine is quite heavy.

You'll only really know what you can do when you try.....very shallow cuts....many of them and carbide could last a while, but a lot depends on the rigidity of the machine.

For lighter machines HSS cutters with a sharp top rake will work better than blunt force carbide and need to be run slower too.......I get good results with my manual mill using single point HSS fly cutters for many milling ops as they can be re-sharpened and/or re-shaped easily.

If the machine vibrates while the cutter is in the material that means the cutter is vibrating too and making intermittent cuts....it pushes away and as the cutter acts like a spring eventually it digs in and you get random chunks of metal coming off.

With CNC you are normally climb milling....... there is a tendency for the cutter to attempt to climb over the cut.........the gantry flexes and the cutter digs in with twice the chip thickness or more.....that is one of the drawbacks of a moving gantry CNC router.

There is no real solution that is practical for cutting steel on an aluminium extrusion framed CNC router designed for wood or maybe aluminium, but you can get lucky if the gods of CNC smile on you.
    Ian.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hmm now to buy or not to buy .....
    it's not that i have $ for it ,,but rly want one more toy .....

Downloads
    Uploads

LOL....I know what you mean.......big boys toys are more interesting once you get to be oldish but still want to play.

I'm into toy steam engines too and lots of other things that have wheels that go round and round.........it helps to keep the grey matter working.

If you have the ability to work with metals and the equipment why not build a steel tube framed CNC router to whatever size you want.

Attached is a pic of a steel tube moving table design I started building but got put on the back burner after my CNC mill eventually arrived after a long delay.....long story.

It's temporarily held together by some magnets to get the photo.

I wanted to make a small one for small modeling jobs and the table size is only 300mm X 200mm with a height under the Z axis of 100mm so that is plenty big enough for a vice and the small projects I had in mind.

It was designed specifically to mill steel so the frame of all welded 45mm X 90mm steel tube has 3mm thick walls.
    Ian.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cnc 6040t 4axis-dscf1501-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

nice one ..
    but how u stay "flat" after welding ?
    i'm welder ,and welding heat do twist all around metal ....
    maybe mag will do best but ....
    btw how u move that thing without twisting (if welds don't twist it too much ) ??
    ah u move table ...precision ??
    i was thinking to switch to metal some of ox cnc models but welding .... ....

i look at these models
    7050 Sphinx | OpenBuilds
    or something like this
    FARM OX (Four Axis Rotary Machine) | OpenBuilds
    but all in steel
    i wonder will these ebay 4 axis kits with nema 23/ work ?
    like this one
    [DE ship]wantai CNC Kit 4Axis Nema23 Motor 425oz-in dual shaft&Driver 4.2A&Power | eBay
    or
    4 Axis CNC Kit 8.5Nm Nema 34 Stepper Motor & MA860H Driver CNC Router Mill Lathe
    stronger one with leadshine drivers ...
    do i need beside spindle and wires anything more from electronics ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.....you will also need a controller and possibly a breakout board, that is the bit that goes between the stepper drivers and the computer........and they come in various reliabilities according to who makes them and the cost, but the Gecko G540 controller is rated to be the best but expensive.......US$350 approx.

A lot depends on your budget as the electronics are the buy in items you can't DIY make.

If you already have a computer, it's best to keep it for your normal usage and buy a cheap older desktop model running Win XP and dedicated for the machine as Mach 3 will run quite well on that platform.

On the topic of welding.......I've been welding on and off for the last 60 years as I'm a fitter and turner by trade, now retired, and currently use a Multiplaz 3500 plasma welder for all my projects.

The problem with welding is expansion and contraction with the heat input, so you need to keep the heat down.

I practice the method I've used for years of welding cold to keep the distortion factor down.....that is, weld in short runs and cool the work down ....even with water...... or you'll get progressive expansion and the part goes out of shape.......if you weld parts together when they're hot they'll distort when they cool down......law of physics.

The plasma welder is like a super Tig welder and uses water to form the plasma without any Argon gas that you would have normally use with Tig or Mig etc.....it's very powerful with 8,000 deg C to play with..

If you go on UTUBE and browse for Multiplaz 3500 there are videos of the welder working.

I've always preferred working with steel as you can weld it, cut it and re-weld it again and again .....it's very forgiving and quite cheap too, but you have to work with it not against it.

If you want to machine steel parts, even small ones, you will need a machine that can handle it.......size is just an extension of your need.....money does come into that equation too.
    Ian.