Newbie Comparing Features vs Need

Thread: Comparing Features vs Need

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Comparing Features vs Need

I am just starting the process of ordering a Chinese made CNC machine and have a few basic questions.

Here is my background / use case:
    • I am currently using a hobby CNC that I built myself (work area 2ft x 2ft)
    • I started it as a hobby, but am now getting paying jobs for cutting hardwood signs.
    • I am now looking to upgrade the size and quality of my machine.

My Requirements
    • I know that I want a 1200mm x 1200mm machine minimum and space would limit me from going above 1300mm x 1300mm
    • 2.2kw spindle (min)
    • Vacuum Table
    • Again, my primary use will be making signs/crafts out of hardwood

Here is where my questions start:
    1. From what I am reading 4 ft starts to by the limit on a Ballscrew axis and at that point your should move to Rack and Pinion. Do people have experience with this? Is it worth the upgrade or would it be more machine then I need?
    2. With motors, is there any reason to pursue upgrades to the base "Chinese Stepper" motors? (Seems to be a steep price bump)
    3. Upgrading the spindle (2.2kw to 3kw) seems to greatly increase the advertised work speed (looks like around 5,000mm/min (2.2kw) up to 20,000mm/min (3kw)), in your experience is that a real improvement or does machine quality negate the 3kw speed.
    4. Do people have experience with packaging a dust collector with their purchase, are they worth it?

Thanks for helping me out on this!
    -Adam