Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?

Thread: Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lightbulb Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?

Just set up my 6040 router from Ebay and went to change the router bit in the spindle for my first job and it electrocuted me at a very low level. I'm getting a Gecko, VFD, and new power supply in hopes I can wire this up to avoid this, definitely won't be running it again until this is figured out. Any guesses on what is wrong and will this fix it?

I guess my other thought for the voltage was maybe it is set up for the probe even though I don't have one?

Thanks for all in this community, seems like a great place for good info.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?

Is the ground connected at the spindle connector? Most of them are not.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim, I hope it's something as simple as this. Assuming the ground connection would be inside the control box since it's just this 4 pin connectorElectrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-img_1973-jpg?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by fnKase View Post
    Just set up my 6040 router from Ebay and went to change the router bit in the spindle for my first job and it electrocuted me at a very low level. I'm getting a Gecko, VFD, and new power supply in hopes I can wire this up to avoid this, definitely won't be running it again until this is figured out. Any guesses on what is wrong and will this fix it?

I guess my other thought for the voltage was maybe it is set up for the probe even though I don't have one?

Thanks for all in this community, seems like a great place for good info.
    Your spindle does not have a Ground / Earth connection, I guess you where lucky that experience was only low level, on some of these machines the VFD does not have a Ground / Earth wire as well, which needs to be corrected

So your main power supply Ground / Earth wire needs to run to the VFD and from the VFD to the spindle, you most likely don't have either of these correctly wired

The 4th pin is the Ground / Earth connection in the plug, the 4th pin on the spindle needs to be check to see if it is connected, here is a photo of what you most likely have to do to the spindle

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-ground-wire-2-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Jim, I hope it's something as simple as this. Assuming the ground connection would be inside the control box since it's just this 4 pin connectorElectrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-img_1973-jpg?
    Pull the 4 pin connector off of the spindle motor, my guess is that the 4th wire is not connected.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Pull the 4 pin connector off of the spindle motor, my guess is that the 4th wire is not connected.
    Thanks! Definitely seeing what you're saying now. The FG is wide open on the PS, hopefully that's not the ground. Seeing these 3 wires going to the spindle, which would I add for a ground?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-img_1976-jpg   Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-img_1975-jpg   Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-img_1974-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Jim it would be nice if you did not guess with stuff like this, they only need to check the pin with a meter to know if it is Grounded or not, a lot of post you reply to you have no experience what's so ever in the subject and just write what others write

This is not a guessing game

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't look like there is even a provision for a ground wire in the spindle cable. Is there a green or a green/yellow wire in that cable?

I'm not sure what FG means, never seen that label on a terminal before. Maybe someone else can shed some light here.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't look like there is even a provision for a ground wire in the spindle cable. Is there a green or a green/yellow wire in that cable?

I'm not sure what FG means, never seen that label on a terminal before. Maybe someone else can shed some light here.
    Thanks gentlemen. Yeah, just checked and only those 3 are going to the spindle, looks like Im going to wait for the better vfd to arrive before I guess on trying to ground this thing. I feel like I learned a ton about the wiring with just these responses.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! Definitely seeing what you're saying now. The FG is wide open on the PS, hopefully that's not the ground. Seeing these 3 wires going to the spindle, which would I add for a ground?
    The power supply has nothing to do with you spindle, the first photo is the low voltage connection which is correct, you don't have to do anything with that part

The second photo is where the mains power is supplied to the VFD , there is no Ground / Earth wire Connection, the base of the VFD is Ground / Earth which is attached to the case, the problem is the case is anodized or painted which does not conduct very well

So from the main supply where the Ground / Earth wire comes in you need some photos of that

FG on the power supply means frame Ground or chassis Ground and is normally connected to the main power supply Ground, again they are relying on the connection between the power supply and the case, with is not very good

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Jim it would be nice if you did not guess with stuff like this, they only need to check the pin with a meter to know if it is Grounded or not, a lot of post you reply to you have no experience what's so ever in the subject and just write what others write

This is not a guessing game
    Agreed. The reason I suggested doing it that way is that we already know there is a leakage path at least to the armature. Thus it is possible that you would get a false positive reading when checking with a meter. I personally would want to physically look at the connection or lack thereof.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The power supply has nothing to do with you spindle, the first photo is the low voltage connection which is correct, you don't have to do anything with that part

The second photo is where the mains power is supplied to the VFD , there is no Ground / Earth wire Connection, the base of the VFD is Ground / Earth which is attached to the case, the problem is the case is anodized or painted which does not conduct very well

So from the main supply where the Ground / Earth wire comes in you need some photos of that

FG on the power supply means frame Ground or chassis Ground and is normally connected to the main power supply Ground, again they are relying on the connection between the power supply and the case, with is not very good
    Thanks Mac, looks like the main is my only ground and like you said on a painted surface.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-img_1979-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Agreed. The reason I suggested doing it that way is that we already know there is a leakage path at least to the armature. Thus it is possible that you would get a false positive reading when checking with a meter. I personally would want to physically look at the connection or lack thereof.
    No if you understand how a VFD works driving a AC motor the Rotor and shaft is always charged with voltage, when running, it is not leakage, it is normal, ( Common Mode Voltage ) that is why correct Grounding of a VFD and motor of any kind is important

These machines have basically no Grounding at all, they have a input power filter which is as far as the Ground wire goes, so most rewire using a star point Ground, which is easy to do

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Mac, looks like the main is my only ground and like you said on a painted surface.
    That could be your Star point where all your ground wires need to come to, you will need a longer screw, but from there to the VFD base would be fine, and then your spindle would go the base of the VFD

Photo is what you call a Star Point

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Electrified Spindle - Anyone with similar issue?-gounding-post-case-png  
    Mactec54