So, I bought a big cnc router.... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So, I bought a big cnc router....

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: So, I bought a big cnc router....

It sounds like you have some other options available. Have you seen the spindle working under power before you bought it? I just didn't want to hear that you had gone out and spent a ton of cash only to discover that the spindle was in fact, in need of repair.

I don't know why I said I might be interested in the VFD. I forgot that I have a 4 pole motor.

I think I found an add for your VFD

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7-5K...900234584.html

They don't give a number for maximum output amps, and say that it's only suitable for a 4kW motor. Well, a motor with 4kW output takes alot more than 4kW input, so I assume what they are really saying is that the drive is only suitable for 4kW output.

I hate when the Chinese do this. It's so dishonest. They advertise at a much higher power output than is actually delivered and you need to read the fine print (if it's available) to see what the real deal is. I've seen the same thing with spindles. That's why I look for current ratings.

Still, your current draw should be well within this range just to get it running and make sure it works.

It would be nice if you could simply borrow the stuff you need to try the vfd that came with it, or take the spindle somewhere where it could be tested. That way you'd know where you stand before dishing out the cash. I'm in a bit of the same boat myself. I bought a spindle and I was assured that it's in great working order, but I won't actually be able to test it myself until I buy some expensive parts.

Good luck to you. If you'd get it resolved, I'd certainly like to hear about it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't order the router, I didn't spec it out or get to see it run ever. The company that I bought it from hadn't ever seen it run either. It was a new router table that they had imported for another customer who backed out on the deal. So, they needed to sell it quick and cut a pretty good deal on it. I first got to see it a week after I paid for it. It isn't a major part of my business, it is a nice to have around machine (if it was all up and running). I pulled the original vfd out, after seeing the youtube video with the guy running his 380vac router on 220. Thinking that it would be a fairly straight forward somewhat easy/cheap way to get this machine usable. I made the mistake of not double checking the specs on the spindle before ordering, and didn't think about the wiring in the cabinet being to small to run on 220 single phase So, since it is going to take more than a couple of afternoons to get it to a point where I can use it, I will just order up the stuff I was originally going to get for it and have it up and running. I have projects that come up every so often that I could start getting this thing paying for itself, but I have to keep turning that work away.

Downloads
    Uploads

Did you get this going ok?

UCCNC powered uk machine sales
    https://cncrouter.uk/atc-cnc-routers.htm

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by battwell View Post
    Did you get this going ok?
    Unfortunately no. I made myself an auxiliary spindle mount and have just been running it with that. Which for what I do with the machine in fine for now.... I have just been so busy with the other side of my business that this thing has really just been sitting there. Every once and again I will have a friend come by and need to cut something out on it and it is just fine for that. I was thinking that I may end up ordering one of these:

15KW single phase 220V to 3 phase 380V converter Manufacturer, Supplier & Exporter

Which should allow me to hook this entire thing up and just plug it in a standard 220 outlet in the shop. We are also going to be moving the shop in January to a larger space, that will have 3 phase available. So, I could just wait until then and pick up whatever transformer is required to get the voltage I need from whatever is available. Though I like the idea of buying the 220 to 380 phase converter so that I don't have to worry about making sure I have 3 phase in the next shop when I move again in a few years.

But, yeah for now that thing gets turned on every couple of weeks used for a half an hour then it just sits.... In fact I probably spend more time cleaning it than actually using it. I should probably make a dust shoe...

Downloads
    Uploads

annoying that your spindle is 6 pole!

some facts on here that were wrong- just to clear up

the hsd 9hp spindle is max speed 24000 rpm 400hz . ( the lable does show 12000 at 200hz- which is probably due to current draw and power curve. that is the minimum recommended frequency)
    im running mine shown in the video off single phase 220v . it does output around 360v at full speed 24k rpm 400hz (metered)
    my power input for vfd i wired for testing only originally - its fused supply is 13 amp max
    the maximum current so far recorded (seen) is 8 amp. - except when i sunk a big cutter into the table when it hit 14 amp and blew the fuse (yeah- my fault)
    in this vfd when switched on- it takes about 10 seconds to come on- presumably slow charging the capacitors so no huge inrush current surge.

i originally set it to 10 seconds acceleration/deceleration for testing. after monitoring current ive changed it down to just 3 seconds! - all good!
    the vfd always runs cool. its still only on a 13a supply.

monitoring the current is the best way to set everything. you will see the current rise as the rpm is lowered. i use the hsd down to 3000 rpm for drilling and havnt stalled it yet... but can get much higher current readings. (8amp)

being a chinese unit- i purchased another as a just in case spare. its now running a big hydrovane compressor, it starts it no problem in 3 seconds but does draw 26 amps from the supply for a couple of seconds to start it then drops to 6.9 amps while filling the tank. the 26 amp draw does cause the lights in the workshop to dim briefly. lol
    so- the vfd if set up properly is more than capable - up to 400 hz. ( definately its maximum setting , not 1000 or 2500 as shown on some ebay listings)
    i checked this with the factory as i have some big atc spindles here that require 800hz (the only models i know that do this for sure are control techniques which run up to 1000 hz)

you could try running the auto tuning too- which works ok

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, it kinda bums me out that I gave up so fast on installing that vfd. I am sure that it would work just fine for my projects. The largest cutter I have a 2" table surfacer and I am not doing any kind of production work with it. But, at the moment I am a one man shop and have am busy all day. everyday. So, I really need to go with something I can plug in and use. Even if it means spending a little more money. The bonus to doing that is that I am actively looking at getting a mid sized cnc metal lathe from China. I currently have an old emco compact 5 cnc lathe running linuxcnc. But it is really too small to be a handy tool for most projects. But, If I ordered a lathe it would likely be 380vac and I would be able to plug it into the fancy pure sine wave inverter phase converter. At least that is the thinking there... Of course it too will likely sit in the corner of the shop getting turned on once a month and used for 5 minutes and then shut off for another month.

I would like to hire an employee or two, but the worry about picking the wrong employee and he/she costing me my entire business is a real concern. So, until I spend some time researching how to hire the perfect employee, I will be stuck handling production on my own.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, you seem very happy with this machine , May i know which supplier do you buy from , I decided to buy one cnc router this year , It is difficult for me to decide , can you please give me some advise , my email : paulvorster1965@yahoo.com

Downloads
    Uploads

austin
    according to inovee they have a vfd that will do what you want-
    my query reply posted below

Thank you for your reply.the blue is our answers.

Price for 7.5kw 220 single phase to 380v 3 phase.
    Yes ,we have.
    What is maximum output Hz?
    0~650Hz.
    Do they have standard rtu modbus?
    Yes,
    Braking facility?
    Yes, with high quality original resistor.

Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=austin.mn;2051520]Here is the link to the youtube video with the 220/380 vfd

its great isnt it---- its mine !

Downloads
    Uploads

austin. i just received a new 220 to 380v inverter that does up to 650hz !
    tested on a spindle and works fine
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VFD-...311.0.0.My29To

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12