Can anyone identify whats causing this?

Thread: Can anyone identify whats causing this?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Can anyone identify whats causing this?

Hey everyone. Sorry in advance for newbie question. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? I had to setup a new profile for my machine from scratch. Not sure if this is backlash, loosness in machine etc. Any suggestions.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone identify whats causing this?-img_2228-jpg   Can anyone identify whats causing this?-img_2227-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Can anyone identify whats causing this?

I have a similar machine setup on one of my machine. Other than a rack an pinions getting tightened up, the spindle being supported at the top, causes deflection as you are cutting. You will see it more if you surface something. That is the only way I caught it was when I was surfacing my spoil board. The only way around it is to cut slower or shallower, unless you want to get into lowering the gantry. Now your setup up may have something totally different, but on mine with the spindle being supported that high up caused crappy finishes.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey, I could slide the router up more in the clamp. I have plenty of Z travel to do so. It is a tall gantry. She's an older machine and I didn't pay anything for it so I assumed Id be putting some money into it. I will check on tightening the R&P up. I feel like the gears maybe worn for one thing. It is a solid table and figured even if I replaced all of it, I couldn't go wrong with the price. The config file I found in the computer had it tuned quite slow which makes sense now. Also Im cutting without a vac some that may be an issue as well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

So I found that the spur gear was loose on both racks on the y axis. First off the reduction gear is made of some type of nylon? Anyway does anyone know of a source for replacement drive gear for this. I. Im sure with some adjusting and a few parts I can get it running pretty well. Anyone know of a source? Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone identify whats causing this?-img_2240-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

A good reputable machine shop should be able to make you one. Then once you get one done you have somewhere to go for replacements.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone know if Industrial CNC is the same as the old Vortech? I talked to this guy Matt over there who swears I'm out of my mind thinking these are the same machines. Personally I think he's FOC but who knows. Seemed like he was extremely angry when I brought up Vortech. I notice they haven't sold any on ebay. Guess that answers my question.

Downloads
    Uploads

Try Boston Gear. I question the reasoning for using a nylon gear in that application. Was it an engineering decision or a cost reduction decision? Might a metal gear work better? These are the questions that I would be asking myself when looking for a replacement.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Try Boston Gear. I question the reasoning for using a nylon gear in that application. Was it an engineering decision or a cost reduction decision? Might a metal gear work better? These are the questions that I would be asking myself when looking for a replacement.
    Not sure about the nylon either. I'll give them a try. I would think it should be metal.

Downloads
    Uploads

Industrial CNC is Vortech, I bought some replacement pinions from them a few years ago.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blaster214 View Post
    Hey everyone. Sorry in advance for newbie question. Can anyone tell me what might be causing this? I had to setup a new profile for my machine from scratch. Not sure if this is backlash, loosness in machine etc. Any suggestions.
    The Z axis is not very sturdy. I made a completely new one. The original has two 20mm unsupported rails.Here is a model of my current Z axis, Though I have upgraded the machine to 20mm profile rails, this design should need minor adjustments to work with your round supported rails on the X axis.The Z axis does not utilize the original ball screw, though I did for a while, i recently purchased one frome ebay & installed it,

A360

You can download the model if you want.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the original wiring diagram & I just received this from ICNC yesterday. Also, here is a stepper spec sheet downloaded from the web.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can anyone identify whats causing this?-vortech_cnc_original_wire-diagram-pdf   Can anyone identify whats causing this?-cw250-stepperdriver-pdf  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by blaster214 View Post
    So I found that the spur gear was loose on both racks on the y axis. First off the reduction gear is made of some type of nylon? Anyway does anyone know of a source for replacement drive gear for this. I. Im sure with some adjusting and a few parts I can get it running pretty well. Anyone know of a source? Thanks

I have yet to determine the exact pitch & module of the gear rack itself. I am sure it is metric, I just have not matched up the exact module.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Ynnek, Sorry this took way to long to get back to you. The model was great and exactly what I needed. Thanks for that. I was unable to source the pinion from ICNC. I had knee surgery a few months ago so finally back working on the table. I have it running and cutting pretty well now but the Z Axis has to go. Definitely the weak link. I think eventually I'm going to refurbish the whole table. I still cant get the inverter to run off of Mach 3. No clear schematic for the BOB. Does not match the one in the schematic.

Thanks for the model again. How your running after the changes you made?

Adam