CNC 3040 - New To CNC

Thread: CNC 3040 - New To CNC

Downloads
    Uploads

Default CNC 3040 - New To CNC

Hi Guys

So im new to the cnc world Iv got a few 3d printers so im ok with some things.

Iv bought myself a cheap Chinese cnc 3040 and iv just managed to get it up and running with mach3.

But can someone explain to me how im meant to use this machine? Hopefully someone has also got the same one.

If you look at my pics you will see what i mean.

The mill bit cannot be lowered enough to touch the mdf im trying to mill? So i thought ok i need a spoil borad not a problem. So turns out i need about 4 boards for it to reach the MDF.

Any ideas i feel like im going insane.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjG7N9TuKSm8oEMyfeGk5NXczmQ8

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC 3040 - New To CNC

I don't have a machine exactly like yours, but is your z lowering to it's full capability. I'd guess it's not. You should be able to jog the Z down until the bit is at the top of the material and then zero the Z prior to starting the cut. Unlike your 3d printer which always starts the build at the top of the bed, a cnc router or engraver needs to know where the top of the material is before each new operation because of different material thickness. You may also have a setting(s) in your driver software which reaches the set input limit (and stops further movement) prior to reaching as far as it needs to go. I'm not sure what driver software etc you are using or what depth of cut etc you used when producing the cut file so suggestions beyond what I've already said are hard to offer, If you bought it new contact the seller for initial setup instructions. If you bought it used, you should be able to find some documentation online with a little searching.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi

Thanks for that. I have contacted the seller and im waiting for a response but the z axis wont go down any further.

I have even powered of the machine and gently and slowly tried to turn the z axis motor and it doesnt move any further down. It does seem very odd but iv measured it and its 3" off touching the bed which seems very odd.

heres the machine 4 AXIS CNC Router Engraver 560W Routing Engraving Milling Machine Mach3 3040 | eBay

What concerns me is i havent seen any youtube videos of this particular one.

Last edited by dfox1787; 04-09-2017 at 03:59 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try to unscrew the spindle holding frame and move it downwoards, it works on my machine....anothr option, just put a press drill on your table, in other words raise your material.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hlopezho View Post
    Try to unscrew the spindle holding frame and move it downwoards, it works on my machine....anothr option, just put a press drill on your table, in other words raise your material.
    I would have to raise it three Inch thats crazy. The bed fasteners wouldn't reach three inch lol. To me this is very bizarre on a cnc machine.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This looks really strange, especially since it looks like that on the sellers photos. What is the purpose of that plate behind the spindle going down? It looks like spindle clamp should be positioned on the bottom of that plate, but there are no holes...

Downloads
    Uploads

the back plate is a splash guard sir on your unit the design of it`s measurement the height etc. it`s for a 4 axis application, that`s why it`s set up higher than the bed, if you want to cut materials on the bed you need to raise it like putting a 2 X 3/4 ply wood, or a slim machinist vise

for me I like the higher Z design, it`s capable even on thick materials or stuff like motorcycle engine cover engraving or any that comes into my mind, but on units with a lower Z measurement you`re stuck on it`s limit, can be frustrating somtimes because you cant do anything if the material exceeds your Z height.

Downloads
    Uploads

I suppose you have already loosened the 2 screws clamping the spindle and lowered it in the mount as far as possible? I would think 3 inches is a bit much. I'd assume you should be able to use the t-slot bed to mount flat plate for engraving. If not, then either the machine was specifically designed to mount a rotary fixture or other work mounting platform like KHOUJ stated, or a different (longer) spindle was originally planned for use in he machine, or something is/was assembled or mounted incorrectly, or it's just a really bad design.

Downloads
    Uploads

Personall I think a really bad design.

I can understand using it for 4th axis but there are other machines that can operate close to the bed and have the 4th axis ability.

I havent seen any youtube videos of anyone who has this machine and im guessing it isnt very popular.

There is no way of securing a spoilboard to the bed at that height.

Iv tried lowering the spindle but it isnt secured tight enough when iv lowered to the height i would expect it to reach. Iv even lowered the mill bit but that isnt ideal.

Cnc by foxinola | Photobucket

Downloads
    Uploads

i have just added a response from the seller for a solution.

Can anyone here shed any light on what they mean. See the Photobucket link.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dfox1787 View Post
    i have just added a response from the seller for a solution.

Can anyone here shed any light on what they mean. See the Photobucket link.

The seller said they are sending long screws for you sir, so that the Z axis will reach to the table that you wanted, it will take 7-15 days to arrive there in your location, they said to try it out first, if it still does`nt work or if you`re still not happy with their solution then you can send back the unit to them well on my opinion fair enough and I think they are sending you a longer screws + spindle attachment bracket to be able to reach the spindle motor to the table.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC 3040 - New To CNC-capture-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Bracket fair enough but i dont understand where the screws will go.

Downloads
    Uploads

As another alternative... remove the spindle clamp mount, and add a simple plate that mounts to the existing Z plate and then mount the spindle clamp lower. A few sets of holes where it mounts to the z would make it adjustable and offer more flexibility anyway. Actually looking at the photos, it looks like you could just remove the clamp from the "Guard plate" or whatever that is... put the guard plate back on with shorter screws and then drill (and tap, it looks thick enough) holes lower and re-mount the clamp onto the guard plate in a lower position so the spindle/bit reaches the table. Then tell the seller to refund the cost of the screws, drill bit and tap

Downloads
    Uploads

mmm i could maybe 3d print a new bracket to accommodate lowering the Spindle. Im still surprised theres no videos of this cnc on youtube with someone using it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by coherent View Post
    As another alternative... remove the spindle clamp mount, and add a simple plate that mounts to the existing Z plate and then mount the spindle clamp lower. A few sets of holes where it mounts to the z would make it adjustable and offer more flexibility anyway. Actually looking at the photos, it looks like you could just remove the clamp from the "Guard plate" or whatever that is... put the guard plate back on with shorter screws and then drill (and tap, it looks thick enough) holes lower and re-mount the clamp onto the guard plate in a lower position so the spindle/bit reaches the table. Then tell the seller to refund the cost of the screws, drill bit and tap
    + one on that...i think you should definetly remove the guard plate, it will limit your z movement range a lot...and also use a sacrificial plate, you can make it out of 1 or 1.5 inch MDF...easy to make, search a little and you will find with no problem how to make one.

Downloads
    Uploads

i think this is the way to go. Whats interesting is i found this video and this has a different bracket. I think i maybe can make one.

Downloads
    Uploads

The spindle holder is incorrectly mounted on your machine. It seems that they forgot to drill four holes into the Z plate and just ignored the mistake and installed the spindle on the bearings. Easy to fix, just remove the Z plate and drill four holes so that you can move the spindle down to the table. 5-10 minutes of work.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AdaptingCamera/videos
    https://adapting-camera.blogspot.com

Downloads
    Uploads

i think this is the way to go. Whats interesting is i found this video and this has a different bracket. I think i maybe can make one.

The difference here is that the spindle holder is mounted on the bottom of the Z plate, just like it supposed to be.

Downloads
    Uploads

Personall I think a really bad design.
    Yes, I agree, but it couldn't have come as a surprise for you. Looking at those eBay images clearly shows that the whole machine is a bad design, not just the Z. Sorry.