6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Thread: 6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Hello group, First question is should a stepper motor have some rough spots when rotating by hand? I know I can fill the different degrees by hand but if I spin it real fast by hand I can feel some places are more rough feeling. Does this mean that the motor is bad? The x axis moves freely when the motor is off of the machine but with the motor on the machine it has rough spots. What got me looking at this is I was running a program and the toolpath was all over the place. I don't think it is the controller. Does anyone know where to get a new stepper motor?

Stepper Motor: 57HD5401-14SB 1.8degrees 3. OA N1405

Does anyone know what NEMA number this is and how to interpret what the motor is?

Thanks in advance.
    Eric

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Quote Originally Posted by ecope View Post
    Hello group, First question is should a stepper motor have some rough spots when rotating by hand? I know I can fill the different degrees by hand but if I spin it real fast by hand I can feel some places are more rough feeling. Does this mean that the motor is bad? The x axis moves freely when the motor is off of the machine but with the motor on the machine it has rough spots. What got me looking at this is I was running a program and the toolpath was all over the place. I don't think it is the controller. Does anyone know where to get a new stepper motor?

Does anyone know what NEMA number this is and how to interpret what the motor is?

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    Not sure on roughness, but doesn't sound good.

Nema is just the physical size of the mounting, so replace with the same size.

There are various parameters for power, but main ones are the holding torque and amps etc. Lots of information on the net, though it can be confusing at times.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

In case anyone is wondering, I'm the twin of the other gfacer on cnczone...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    sorry for posting on this topic that is pretty old, but anyhow for anyone else out there who has this same question heres some rough figures for your nema motors on the chinese machines
    you can see what nema motor you have by the measurement for starters

(photo was taken off of google, but it does match my two 6040 units, mine has nema 23 motors on them of different lengths (how many amps they are is the length for each one, usually on the chinese units the x axis motor is close to or around a 270 oz motor ( 76mm from the front of the motor to the rear of it) sadly to say on my two 6040 units they both have different motors on the x axis so it should be around that, sadly on that area it can get confusing as to as how long or big the motors are due to the different manufacturers and sizes will be a little bit different at times, but it should be pretty close. )

you can also measure the units by the voltage that the units have to find out what type it is (note if its wired properly and has the proper drivers for those motors) usually there as followed
    12-16V DC power supply for Nema 17 stepper motors
    16-24V DC power supply for Nema 23 stepper motors
    24-36V DC power supply for Nema 34 stepper motors
    note, that it may not always be the case as one of my units was only giving one of my motors 12v, however measurements is the best way to go in this case but i figured ide add this in here as well

Stepper Motor: 57HD5401-14SB 1.8degrees 3. OA N1405and how to interpret what the motor is?

also looking at that model number its basically telling me its close to the same as mine.

Model No.:57HD5401
    Length of the motor: 65mm
    No. of Leads: 4
    Holding torque: 15kg.cm
    Current:3.0A
    Resistance:1.5Ω
    Inductance: 3.5mH
    Detent torque:600g.cm
    Weight: 0.9kg

so a nema 23 270oz motor should fit it

could go on and on a bit more about it,
    anyhow hope this helps anyone else on it if you have that particular cnc build.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6040 CNC Router Stepper Motor Help!-nema-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks in advance.
    Eric
    I am not sure if u found the problem but from what u r describing sounds like u may need to check your ball screw . The ball screw on these Chinese made machines are not really ball screws but they r more of a "t" (trapezoidal)thread used as a ball screw and the thread may have a different pitch diameter in that spot along the screw. Please let me know if you have found this problem and if so what was it