6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's

Thread: 6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's

Downloads
    Uploads

Default 6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's

Hey all, I recently bought a 6040T from ebay:
    6040T 3 AXIS USB CNC ROUTER ENGRAVER ENGRAVING CUTTER MACHINE MILLING USB PORT | eBay

Arrived and was 90% assembled, just fit the stepper motors and plugged it in. Came with a Parallel to USB Cable and CNCUSB program, plugged it into my New laptop with Windows 10 using the USB cable and imported the supplied settings file and it connected and worked straight away... Carved out a few mickey mouse pieces from the sample file and worked well.

But I had spent abit of time learning Mach3 and wanted to use that, So I got a Parrallel cable and using the PC I bought for the project with Windows XP and used the settings I found online it works... Altho with the 2800mm/min feed rate the steppers were locking up, Reducing it down to 2000mm/min and it rapids fine 80% of the time while manually jogging altho had no issues while running the program at 2000mm/min, 1500mm/min and seems fine altho this is abit slow for some operations. I didnt go back to double check but it didnt seem to have any issues Rapiding with the USB program.

I made a Spindle vacuum boot and a cut out a GTR Logo which worked out alright after I worked out why it was plowing the bit in to the spoil board which was because Fusion 360 was posting G28 but I had not home/limit switches setup.

Here is a few pics of the board

I noticed the Dip switches (SW1, SW2, SW3) were set to 2.5 amps but the Steppers are labelled as 3amps.... Should I adjust this to 3amps?

The KP 1/2 Switches were originally set to both "on" which would have been "8" which im guessing is 8 steps for one full step? I have changed this to "2" which Im guessing is a half step, Hopefully this will help with the steppers stalling while rapiding at higher speeds... Im guessing ill have to adjust my steps per revolution which was 320 and would now be 80? my thinking is if 8=320 then 320/8=40 then multiply that by 2=80

KP 3/4 is for buffering but im not sure what that means exactly.

I would like to setup good earthing throughout the system, as you can see in the following pic the Earth from the Mains plug is actually connected to the "pnf 221-g-3a" which a quick google search says its a EMI filter but then does not go any further... Altho the PDF for it I found on google shows a Earth output from it, Should I open up the case in the hopes of finding the output and then run a cable from this to a point on the chassis to become my Earth Star then earth everything to that?

Ive mounted my home/limit switches on the machine and want to wire them up, I did a test connection to the point Labelled Xlimit and to the ground point, setup the relevant pins on Mach3 and it lights up in the diagnostics so I know that works... But im a little confused about how to wire them exactly, Found all different ways on the net. From what I can tell the best way to do it is to wire the two X-axis switches in series and Mach3 will tream them as limits during normal use and Home while its homing correct?

Lastly is the Nowforever VFD, had no issues with it yet. Wish I could work out how to make the display show RPM rather then my having to work it out, altho its quite easy to... just multiply the frequency by 60... Runs smoothly even from low hz altho not much torque under 50hz. From abit of research ive heard that under 100hz and the spindle creates excessive heat, altho it is water cooled... not that Ive had to run it that low yet.

Looks like both the controller board and VFD have the ability to run the spindle through to mach3 for software speed control but would need to add a relay?

Still have some questions about ball screw lubrications and adjusting the screws/slides that Ive not found answers for yet but overall quite impressed with the machine. I bought it planning to upgrade to a G540 and 48v power supply and Am still planning to, but just want to get it running as good as I can with current setup so I can see how much of a difference the Gecko and power upgrade is.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's-gtr-logo-jpg   6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's-spindleboot-jpg   6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's-705-jpg   6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's-709-jpg  

6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q's-710-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q'

Hi,
    If you are using Mach 3, then I have an identical system to yours hardware and software.
    I have got Mach 3 controlling the VFD inverter. Just 4 wires from JP-3163B v.3.9 to the Nowforever.
    I have also got the limit and home switches working.
    So let's exchange experiences.

FYI
    JP-3163B ver. 3.9 (from I own testing)
    Pin 1: Spindle on/off Relay 1(active low)
    Pin 2: X Axis Step (active low)
    Pin 3: X Axis Dir (active low)
    Pin 4: Y Axis Step (active low)
    Pin 5: Y Axis Dir (active low)
    Pin 6: Z Axis Step (active low)
    Pin 7: Z Axis Dir (active low)
    Pin 8: A Axis Step (active low)
    Pin 9: A Axis Dir (active low)
    Pin 10:Estop (active low)
    Pin 11: X Axis Limit Switch (active high) = when NC switch(es) open
    Pin 12: Y Axis Limit Switch (active high)
    Pin 13: Z Axis Limit Switch (active high)
    Pin 14: Buffer Chips “Enable” controlled by computer if Jumper 3 is set to 1-2 position
    Pin 15: Probe (active low)
    Pin 16: Is supposed to turn Relay 2 on/off but is currently not connected in board.
    Pin 17: PWM 0-10V for VFD Spindle AN1 (if jumper 4 is in default 1-2 position) active low
    Pin 18: Gnd
    Pin 19: Gnd
    Pin 20: Gnd
    Pin 21: Gnd
    Pin 22: Gnd
    Pin 23: Gnd
    Pin 24: Gnd
    Pin 25: Gnd

Jumper 1: 1-2 Internal 5V (default) ; 2-3 External Power Supply
    Jumper 2: 1-2 Enable (by computer on pin 14) ON; 2-3 Enable (pin 14) OFF (default)
    Jumper 3: 1-2 Air Cooling always ON; 2-3 Relay 2 by Computer pin 16 but 16 is currently NC (Default)
    Jumper 4: 1-2 Analog 0-10V Pin 17 ON (default); 2-3 Pin 17 changed to digital Hi-Lo
    Jumper 5: 1-2 Manual (handset?) On (Default); 2-3 Manual Off.

Microstep Mode (on each Axis X, Y, Z but A is on separate JP-1635A driver board)
    K1 K2
    OFF OFF 1 = NO MICROSTEP
    OFF OFF 2 microsteps per step of 1.8deg = 0.9 deg
    ON ON 8 microsteps per step of 1.8deg = 0.25deg (default)
    OFF ON 16 microsteps per step of 1.8deg = 0.125deg

K3 K4
    OFF OFF 0% decay
    ON OFF 25% decay
    OFF ON 50% decay (default)
    ON ON 100% decay

On you q whether you should set current to 3A. YES! for X, Y, Z.
    Sine the PSU on mine is only 10 amps. I have connected the water pump to an another 24V psu instead to save all the current for the stepper motors.

I am now using 16 microsteps. Parallel port Pulse engine set to 45K. Motor 640 Pulse 15us and dir 5u sec to get router moving with NICE smooth sound and smooth G0 rapid movements.

The Toshiba driver chips can take 40V max, so I am going to replace the 24V fan first and then increase the voltage of the PSU to get better performance. With a 24V pump and 24V fan, it is not possible to increase the PSU voltage.
    Someone has been using this board with 32V instead of 24V and the performance improved.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 6040T Possibly Newer model with a better control board? first impressions, Few Q'

For the question regarding earthing, check to see if there's continuity between the earth wire input and the actual chassis of the filter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hojpoj View Post
    For the question regarding earthing, check to see if there's continuity between the earth wire input and the actual chassis of the filter.
    No.
    I took the ground for limit switches from the neg terminal of the 24V PSU.
    The Z-axis probe as supplied had the ground on the touch surface and 5v on the crocodile clip so I had to reverse the wires before I ground the machine using the neg of the 24v supply otherwise the probe will no longer work.

The JP-3163B already has relay on pin 1 for the spindle. So 4 wires from the JP3163B to the VFD invertor is all that is necessary. No extra relays required.

Last edited by reuel; 07-05-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by reuel View Post
    No.
    I took the ground for limit switches from the neg terminal of the 24V PSU.
    The Z-axis probe as supplied had the ground on the touch surface and 5v on the crocodile clip so I had to reverse the wires before I ground the machine using the neg of the 24v supply otherwise the probe will no longer work.

The JP-3163B already has relay on pin 1 for the spindle. So 4 wires from the JP3163B to the VFD invertor is all that is necessary. No extra relays required.

Hi, what 4 connections are made from the ForeverNow VFD to the JP-3163B? I know X1, COM & AN1 from the VFD are the three I know of, what's the 4th? Thank you!