Need Help! Stepper motors not going at full speed....or at any speed.

Thread: Stepper motors not going at full speed....or at any speed.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Stepper motors not going at full speed....or at any speed.

Dear CNC-zone.

My name is Mathias, long time user of CAD-design,new time owner of a CNC machine. Just bought a 6040 engraver from my friendlylocal eBay Chinese business-type and the setup so far has been smooth and easy.My current problem is that the stepper motors all show the same problem, a single rotation is slow, "choppy" and it looks like the motor is really struggling, it is like there is something blocking the rotation, making it skip steps.
    My stepper motors have these rotation knobs on top of them that can be twisted when the motors are turned off, and when I crank them by hand there is no obstruction, it rotates freely and smoothly.

I have linked to two videos one with a ruler fromtoday where I was trying to find my "step pr."-in mach3 and a videofrom yesterday where the problem was much worse. In both case the rotation just looks and sounds like all shades of wrong.

I dont think that it is a physical obstruction nor a question of greasing based on the behavior of the stepper motors and the things mentioned above, instead I have narrowed it down to these suspects:

Not enough juice from the parallel port. I am using an IBM thinkpad T42 laptop, and I can tell from what I have gathered that a laptop sometimes dont feed enough power through the parallel ports.
    Bad motor tuning on my part Might be me that do not have enough knowledge about the relation between the things going into motor tuning, you can see the attached image for the very choppy stepper motor, as recommended by the manuel.
    Defect stepper engines. I dont really think this to be the case, since the problem is the same on all three stepper motors ai. something wrong with my setup properly in mach3 or some electronic elsewhere.

I would love any and all input or ideas, thank you all in advance.

Todays video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L2kJP7d7Xg

Video from yesterday