Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking advice for cnc machine purchase

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Seeking advice for cnc machine purchase

Quote Originally Posted by JQ_Quint View Post
    Good work !

Wondering whether it's worth adding motion controller (make & connection)...
    Done! The latest version has a row entitled "Stepper Driver/Controller Make / Model"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

@erik65 Glad you found this helpful. All credit really goes to everyone who has taken the time to share their knowledge. I'm on the receiving end of that deal. I'm happy to do my best to organize it and share back for everyone to use as a 6090 reference or template for other similar machines.

Ian,
    As always - more great tips with the brush strips idea. It's a grass skirt for your router!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All,
    I found a really great 6090B thread from user @hokkaju76. In it he details his experience after purchasing the unit from Jcut. He looks to be an extremely knowledgeable machinist because he proceeded to tear much of it apart to shore up stiffness and accuracy. The stuff he found is a bit unsettling really.

The thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...6-finland.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dalcini View Post
    All,
    I found a really great 6090B thread from user @hokkaju76. In it he details his experience after purchasing the unit from Jcut. He looks to be an extremely knowledgeable machinist because he proceeded to tear much of it apart to shore up stiffness and accuracy. The stuff he found is a bit unsettling really.

The thread:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/chines...6-finland.html
    Yep remember reading that and I do admire his work also.
    2 schools of thought here, 1) he unfortunately had a Friday machine or 2) he is chasing tolerances far tighter than maybe others would require.

The whole stiffness question, yes I'm sure his solution will be stiffer, but I'm not struggling to plow through 18mm mdf like butter so extra stiffness for all that work wouldn't be beneficial to me.
    If I was tackling Ali then maybe a different story.

However that said, a true spindle, no runout and minimal backlash is simply what I was after and I'm happy i have that.

My bet is any Chinese machine stripped down to the bone and rigorously tested would all probably find similar issues???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JQ_Quint View Post
    Yep remember reading that and I do admire his work also.
    2 schools of thought here, 1) he unfortunately had a Friday machine or 2) he is chasing tolerances far tighter than maybe others would require.

The whole stiffness question, yes I'm sure his solution will be stiffer, but I'm not struggling to plow through 18mm mdf like butter so extra stiffness for all that work wouldn't be beneficial to me.
    If I was tackling Ali then maybe a different story.

However that said, a true spindle, no runout and minimal backlash is simply what I was after and I'm happy i have that.

My bet is any Chinese machine stripped down to the bone and rigorously tested would all probably find similar issues???

I pretty much agree with all of that, obviously sometimes crap can and does slip through, but I guess for us in OZ we're a bit more pragmatic about these things as we certainly aren't spoilt for choice here, and if it wasn't for dealing direct with Chinese for stuff like this, we'd be instead dealing with local crowds supplying the exact same kit but at 4-10 times the price!

So apart from the people who strive to improve the quality or accuracy of the stuff they buy, I take all quality control issues with a grain of salt, if it's THAT important to you, then you're simply not buying the right stuff. Go to a dealer who will give you the level of quality you want, albeit at a %300 or more price increase, but don't effectively buy bargain basement and then whinge about 0.01" inaccuracies.

For all the Chinese bashing I see on the forums here, I don't see anyone else anywhere offering as good a general build quality for anywhere near the price the 6040's and the 6090's offer. So if you have to tinker a bit, so be it! My 2c!

cheers, Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Gents,
    With the Chinese New Year over and the vendors back, my brother and I are getting close to placing an order.

Here is a loose collection of questions, and some useful pieces of information regarding shipping logistics that we are looking at right now:

- Vendor quotes DDU (Delivered Duty Unpaid) cost of "$X including the customs clearing charges" along with a machine price of $X for a grand total of $X. Is this final destination for a DDU quote "to the destination address" listed in the contract, or is it merely "to the nearest seaport based on the destination address? (need to confirm with vendor) As Ian predicted, this is the important one. We got a quote to truck the machine roughly 70 miles from our nearest seaport and it was $1100.00!

- We asked about a quote for DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) but the vendor told us that for a machine this size the US duty was typically "Low", and that if we wanted to get an estimate we could contact customs ahead of time?

- I found what will likely be the US duty rate by looking up the vendor provided HTS (Harmonized Tariff Schedule) number in the US HTS database. Here's direct link to the page:
    https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=846599
    It looks like it will be 2.4% per column 1. (The obscenely high rate in column 2 is only for goods from North Korea and Cuba) Info here:
    https://www.usitc.gov/publications/d...1gn.pdf#page=3

Transit Insurance:
    - Need to ask vendor to list our company as the insurance beneficiary on the cargo insurance (instead of the vendor) and not just be "listed on" (their words) the cargo insurance. Maybe that's what they meant, but it never hurts to clarify.
    - Need to request that product be packaged correctly to withstand the rigors of shipping - especially considering the salt-soaked air that it will be immersed in for a month:
    - - Wooden pallet with plywood (or other suitable) box framing.
    - - Oil coating to prevent rusting of parts?
    - - Plastic wrap of entire machine?
    - - Get pics of product prepped for shipping with serial numbers

So that's where we are at right now. Any comments/opinions are welcome.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zszabo View Post
    Very interesting read ! Yikes you and your friend had a challenge on that one !
    Great write up !!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Recommend you aeon laser machine, power 1200-1300W, youtube link: Mira

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123