Newbie Considering Omnio x6-1500GT or X8-220 for craft / sign business. Are they up to it ?

Thread: Considering Omnio x6-1500GT or X8-220 for craft / sign business. Are they up to it ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Considering Omnio x6-1500GT or X8-220 for craft / sign business. Are they up to it ?

Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum and CNC routing. I'm considering Omnio x6-1500GT or X8-220 for craft / sign business. Long story short, I'm getting treatment for cancer and have been unable to work for past 12 months due to after effects of surgery. I 'm starting a part-time job for 2 days a week and want to start a wooden sign / craft gifts business to do another 2 days. I really enjoy doing hands on stuff

Ideally, I'd like to get a CNC shark, but in the UK they are double the price compared to buying them from the US.

I've read many forums on the Chinese machines and have a few questions that I just can't seem to find answers for:-

1) Are the two OMNIO machines capable fo being run for approx 5 hours per day for say 3 days per week ?
    2) I've seen lots of posts about using shielded cable. Can anyone give me brand/make of cable to use ? I was thinking of using shielded twisted pair ethernet cable as I don't know any other cable to use.
    3) I've seen dust extractor feet on ebay for the 6040 machines. Will these fit the Omnio Routers
    4) Does anyone make an aftermarket perspex cabinet?

I need to ensure I keep dust to a minimum as I had most of my left lung removed last year. I'll be using a P3 mask venting the extractor outside and have an air filter running in the shop.

Thanks

Shindig

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Considering Omnio x6-1500GT or X8-220 for craft / sign business. Are they up to i

I would not buy the X6-1500GT for a business. The X8-2200L is better suited with it's more stable guide rails. No idea if it will do the amount of hours you want, mine has done about 15-20 hours total so far, engraving wood, PCB's and milling light aluminium. I'd bet the electronics or the spindle will be the first to go... so you might want to start saving up to eventually replace the controller box with something better.

You don't need much power, already an 800W spindle will work fine for your needs (I mill aluminium with my 800W air-cooled spindle ; I chose air-cooling as I don't like the idea of running water lines along electric cables) I have not replaced cables on my X4-800 yet, it still works fine.
    I'd make a thick spillboard of 2 layers of 18mm MDF which I'd permanently mount to the table, maybe drill in some rampa nuts for fixtures, as the table is quite flimsy being made of separate sections of aluminium which will flex and resonate.

If you already go for a dust extraction why bother with a perspex cabinet? It will make working with the machine a lot harder... I've mounted aluminium sheet of 120mm height along the sides and against the back of the machine to prevent chips going everywhere but have no other dust extraction or anything. I just use a shop vac during the milling.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Considering Omnio x6-1500GT or X8-220 for craft / sign business. Are they up to i

Thanks for the input Javanree. Some good points there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk