2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel.

Thread: 2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel.

2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel. Don't try this at home, my machine has been reinforced.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel.

tool life & chip load follow up video.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

more hardened tool steel milling action.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Milling cold rolled steel on a 1/2 end mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

danaman

I can assure you your spindle won't last that long mill steel like this or any steel for that matter, the spindle Bearing arrangement is not designed for cutting any type of metal, even though lots do, expect a short spindle life, the AR500 is quite easy to machine with any carbide tooling, is not classified as a tool steel, even though it is heat treated, it is abrasion resistance armor plate

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    danaman

I can assure you your spindle won't last that long mill steel like this or any steel for that matter, the spindle Bearing arrangement is not designed for cutting any type of metal, even though lots do, expect a short spindle life, the AR500 is quite easy to machine with any carbide tooling, is not classified as a tool steel, even though it is heat treated, it is abrasion resistance armor plate
    I've been milling nothing else but aluminum and steel on this thing for 2 years, it has out lived it's warranty and for $140 it's cheap and easy to replace. Ar500 is used for tooling of mining equipment and other tools. Ar500 is basically 4130 hardened to a brienal hardness of 500+ = 56 Hrc. Carbide hardness ranges from 45 to 65. No not every carbide can cut 56hrc it must be around 60hrc+ to mill hardened 56hrc steel. 60+ Hrc carbide end mills are pretty expensive.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by danaman View Post
    I've been milling nothing else but aluminum and steel on this thing for 2 years, it has out lived it's warranty and for $140 it's cheap and easy to replace. Ar500 is used for tooling of mining equipment and other tools. Ar500 is basically 4130 hardened to a brienal hardness of 500+ = 56 Hrc. Carbide hardness ranges from 45 to 65. No not every carbide can cut 56hrc it must be around 60hrc+ to mill hardened 56hrc steel. 60+ Hrc carbide end mills are pretty expensive.
    You have got lucky with it, yes they are cheap, aluminum yes everyone uses them for aluminum

It is not referred to as a Tool Steel, it is referred to as abrasion resistance alloy steel and anyone that has used these types of steel no what they can be used for
    I have cut the ar500 many times, it's like cutting butter compared to hardened tool steels, it is nothing like 4130, as a material or to machine

Any very basic carbide cutter will cut it, there is nothing difficult about machining it, the cutter you are using is a very poor choice of cutter

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

2.2kw spindle can mill tool steel? It is very amazing. What kind of bits you use?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMa View Post
    2.2kw spindle can mill tool steel? It is very amazing. What kind of bits you use?
    The tool he is using is a boring bar, which is normally used on a lathe, so nothing special about the cutting tool

Others have cut steel with these spindles before, it does not always have a good outcome

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, that is amazing. I would be afraid to do that with my 3KW spindle. Aluminum cuts great, but that has got to put a lot of stress on your machine. Hard to see what kind of machine you had but first time I have seen a 2.2KW cut steel, thanks for sharing.
    Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The tool he is using is a boring bar, which is normally used on a lathe, so nothing special about the cutting tool

Others have cut steel with these spindles before, it does not always have a good outcome
    It looked like a single insert indexable end mill to me, which is much different than a boring bar in construction.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    It looked like a single insert indexable end mill to me, which is much different than a boring bar in construction.
    Do you have a link to the end mill like this, they take a TP style insert, I think you will only find some cheap Chinese cutters using this style insert

We have the same type tool holders, that we use in Boring heads, they can be used any way you want, you could call them what ever you want, there original manufacture was as a Boring Bar, more than 40 years ago, any type of boring bar can be used like this, as long as the insert has enough clearance, they work very well, we use them, only because we have a supply of inserts, we use other Boring Bars as well, the one's in the photo have more insert clearance, and a positive rake so cut much better, and would put a lot less load on the spindle

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel.-dsc_0374-jpg  
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

The cutter he is using cannot be used as a boring bar. The cutting edge is vertical and has no relief. A boring bar has relief just like the three ones you showed. Using a boring bar as an indexable end mill results in a wider cut at the bottom and narrower at the top. An indexable end mill will have a weldon shank and more body material left to maintain stiffness. A boring bar is much longer and will have to much flex. A boring bar is not an indexable end mill.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

it does appear to be a single cutting edge. perhaps that is why it works.

As for another reason why it works, the low depth of cut means that there isn't much cutting forces generated. its that simple.

he might not have enough stiffness to cut mild steel with a 4 flute, 1 inch diameter 4 flute end mill.. if the depth of cut is say 2 inches. the cutter would simply bounce off the work, not enough force generated to press the cutting tool into the metal. the reason why of course is the cutting edge is a radius, there is a minimum amount of force needed to dig into the metal. if the radius of the cutting edge is large enough and the stiffness of the machine is low enough, its not possible to cut the metal. doesn't matter what the rpm or the feed rate is, to some extent.

but with a single flute, high rpm cutter head, the rotational inertia of the spindle alone can compensate for the lack of stiffness.

its like using an air hammer drill to take off lug nuts.. same physical processes involved. you can't exert 200 foot pounds of torque on the drill, but the drill can exert that much torque against its own rotational inertia, 1% of the time. you only have to hold back 2 foot pounds (average) while the lugnut is driven off. (i know, a 100:1 ratio is unrealistic, but its mechanically possible)

Last edited by Eldon_Joh; 11-05-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    The cutter he is using cannot be used as a boring bar. The cutting edge is vertical and has no relief. A boring bar has relief just like the three ones you showed. Using a boring bar as an indexable end mill results in a wider cut at the bottom and narrower at the top. An indexable end mill will have a weldon shank and more body material left to maintain stiffness. A boring bar is much longer and will have to much flex. A boring bar is not an indexable end mill.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk
    Yes they can most have a relief like this photo

You can use a boring bar the same way, they work just fine for roughing, then finish with a Endmill these small Boring Bar are quite inexpensive and can be used in a collet just the same as what he is doing, here is a photo of the same type that he is using, note the relief on the insert that is why they work well in a boring head as well they have about 5 deg relief

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.2kw chinese cnc router milling tool steel.-milling-cutter-tp-png  
    Mactec54