Newbie Desperately needs help with my cnc3040

Thread: Newbie Desperately needs help with my cnc3040

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie Desperately needs help with my cnc3040

I purchased this router 3 months ago and still can not get it to work. I am using the mach3 software and have listened to Paul Campbell's tutorials on you tube. I set up all the configurations
    like he said and i am still having trouble getting the motors to move. (I put the values in the motor outputs configuration that was provided by the chinese mfg). I started out with an old computer I had running Win XP. Then I saw where Paul Campbell recommended a newer computer
    running windows 7(32bit only) and to use the UC100 usb to parallel adapter being sold on ebay I am now running Mach3 on Win 7 but I purchased an internal parallel port card from my
    local Micro Center computer store. I figured this should work just as good if not better than the UC100. I just knew this would fix my problem..........but it did not !!!!

So my question is, do I have to purchase a UC100 to get this to work and if so what value do you put in port #1 of the ports and pins configuration ??????

Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Grady

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie Desperately needs help with my cnc3040

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyw View Post
    I purchased this router 3 months ago and still can not get it to work. I am using the mach3 software and have listened to Paul Campbell's tutorials on you tube. I set up all the configurations
    like he said and i am still having trouble getting the motors to move. (I put the values in the motor outputs configuration that was provided by the chinese mfg). I started out with an old computer I had running Win XP. Then I saw where Paul Campbell recommended a newer computer
    running windows 7(32bit only) and to use the UC100 usb to parallel adapter being sold on ebay I am now running Mach3 on Win 7 but I purchased an internal parallel port card from my
    local Micro Center computer store. I figured this should work just as good if not better than the UC100. I just knew this would fix my problem..........but it did not !!!!

So my question is, do I have to purchase a UC100 to get this to work and if so what value do you put in port #1 of the ports and pins configuration ??????

Any help or advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Grady
    Most likely if you buy a UC100 off Ebay it is likely to be a fake, and is not supported with the software for the real UC100, so don't buy one from Ebay

Windows7 32 Bit with a Parallel Port do work with Mach 3

Have you checked that the parallel port is working, go to Control Panel Device Manager. Is the new parallel port listed? hook up an old printer to see if you can get it to print, if that part is working then Mach3 will work, don't watch to many videos unless they are from the Mach web site Newfangled Solutions » CNC Software Home of Mach3 what works for them, may not work for you, not all setups are the same

Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Mactec54, thanks so much for your help. I am 98% sure the parallel card is working . The device manager shows the card is good to go and when I closed the device manager the router did a 1/4 second jog or movement. This at least tells me it is communicating with the port (I don't have an old printer to test with). I had the motors moving once in the beginning by using the arrow keys (using the old XP computer) don't know what I did, but could never get it to move again a few days later. I think it was the old XP system that worked 1 day and not the next.
    I have been exploring the site you recommended but have not discovered anything yet.

I really do not know what to do next..

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the parallel port set to EPP mode in BIOS?

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Andrew for your help.

I checked the bios in my dell vostro 200 and could not find any reference to the parallel card. Would a windows 7 OS even know what a parallel port is ?
    Is there anything else I can try ???

Downloads
    Uploads

It's not often called a parallel card. Look under "peripheral devices" and see if there's anything about a "LPT port" - if it's there, then it's found your parallel card. See if you can switch it to EPP mode. If it hasn't found it, then that's your problem.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Check your I/o port address in windows as well (if you have not already). On board parallel ports usually use one like 3F8, 2F8, 3E8n or 2E8 when using a pci parallel port check its address and make sure this is the same in Mach3.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I looked in the bios, peripheral devices, and there is nothing listed for LPT Port, parallel port, etc. It is listed in device manager as working properly. In the resource settings it shows 2 I/O Addresses: DD00-DD07 & DC00-DC07. This computer is dedicated to the CNC and has nothing else connected to it (WHY IS THERE 2 I/O'S LISTED ?) I tried the beginning address of each one and it still didn't work. So, I decided to try the ending address of the first I/O (DD07) and I can now move the Y & Z axis (Yeeeeaaaa). X axis will not move and I have tried all the I/O values. WHAT DO I DO NOW ??????
    I am pretty excited that the machine has come alive, thanks to everyone's help

Downloads
    Uploads

Sometimes it seems that all these machines want is a little attention...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Gradyw View Post
    I looked in the bios, peripheral devices, and there is nothing listed for LPT Port, parallel port, etc. It is listed in device manager as working properly. In the resource settings it shows 2 I/O Addresses: DD00-DD07 & DC00-DC07. This computer is dedicated to the CNC and has nothing else connected to it (WHY IS THERE 2 I/O'S LISTED ?) I tried the beginning address of each one and it still didn't work. So, I decided to try the ending address of the first I/O (DD07) and I can now move the Y & Z axis (Yeeeeaaaa). X axis will not move and I have tried all the I/O values. WHAT DO I DO NOW ??????
    I am pretty excited that the machine has come alive, thanks to everyone's help
    Can you state what brand and model number of your cnc3040? I can check online what it is and get back to you.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I dont know if you have this solved yet or not but try to use pin 16 and 17 for your x axis that is what it is on mine.