Newbie Looking To Purchase An OmioCNC X8-2200

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking To Purchase An OmioCNC X8-2200

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Newbie Looking To Purchase An OmioCNC X8-2200

Evening All.

I'm new here, having stumbled across your forum looking for cnc router reviews.I have posted in the tell us about yourself page I do have engineeringexperience, serving as an apprentice for 5 years in a small machine shop andgaining experience of lathes, mills, grinders and basic cnc G coding on aconverted Bridgeport mill.

Basically I am considering purchasing a Omiocnc X8-2200, I'm going with thissize due to the item size I want to machine or I'd go smaller. Having startedto look at the 8060 CNC routers, I stumbled across the Omio and have understoodits H-win rails are better than the linear bearing types.
    Material wise I will be cutting 15mm MDF and 6mm acrylicto start with for my jobs, but will of course look to cut other materials andthicknesses to make the machine work as I get used to it.
    I’ve read up on the various controllers, the usual blackboxed type is the preferred version paired with Mach3, but this Omio has thisnewer standalone orange box which sounds appealing and just swallows anoutputted G code, but is also very different it seems.
    I’m in contact with another forum member already,Zeeflyboy (we both fly RC heli’s) but I wanted to seek other people’s opinionsas well who’ve had or have these machines already, how are you finding them andare you pleased with it?
    Also this new orange control box, is anyone using itcurrently and is it good to use?
    Thanks for your time.
    Ian

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Newbie Looking To Purchase An OmioCNC X8-2200

Iain - long thread on them here. There's even some commentary and manual links for the orange box towards the end.

I've just used mine to knock out a cold resin injection mould from aluminium and have to say I'm quite impressed with the speed, precision and quality at the price.

There are gotchas. Their engineers apparently don't understand the concepts of ground, shielding or earth loops and some modifications are a good idea to improve all of that. The bed will deflect a fair bit under load. The lubrication is purely manual. After sales support used to be top notch but it seems to have turned to poo.

That said, it's much more machine than the sh1tty el cheapo eBay 6040s without heading into the price bracket of proper milling machines or VMCs. I have zero regrets in purchasing mine. And they'll simply eat up your MDF and acrylic no problems at all.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Buddy.

Thank you for your time and reply, it's appreciated.

Wow, that is good work there on the two part mould. While at this point I have no intention of cutting aluminium, it's comforting knowing I could do it, just adjusting feed rates and cut depths accordingly.

Ah, I had been reading that thread along with other Chinese machine ones and they have all mentioned, as you have, about the lack of grounding and shielding etc. So I think the thought is if you experience weird problems, check these points and/or add in grounds on delivery and setup.

I must admit to being glad I stumbled across the Omio machine now, as I was looking at the eBay style ones and the pricing isn't any real different, but the benefits with the better slides is great.
    Could be an order going in this week I feel :-)

Thanks.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the question of the orange vs black box pretty much boils down to this:

Do you have a spare PC laying about you can use with Windows XP or Windows 7 as a dedicated controller for your router?

If you have to buy a PC to drive it, the orange box starts looking good. But, if you have a spare PC or don't mind hunting a cheapie down, it offers a hell of a lot more flexibility and control than the very locked down orange box.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dharmic View Post
    I think the question of the orange vs black box pretty much boils down to this:

Do you have a spare PC laying about you can use with Windows XP or Windows 7 as a dedicated controller for your router?

If you have to buy a PC to drive it, the orange box starts looking good. But, if you have a spare PC or don't mind hunting a cheapie down, it offers a hell of a lot more flexibility and control than the very locked down orange box.
    Hey.

Very good point.
    Finding a suitable cheap PC won't be a problem, I may even have one here already, but I do like the allure of not having to worry about keeping another PC working just for the cnc. With the orange box, I can work on the design on my preferred PC and copy over via USB stick and hit go.
    There is talk of additional features available when using the black box & mach3 combo, but I don't think I would need them. I just want to cut, pocket clearance and engrave text for back lighting, which should all be achievable using even the basic G code.

I'm still skimming through the other topic to gleen more information as well.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

Coolice,

What made you choose a X8-2200 over the X8-1500? I'm kinda stuck between the two. This will be my FIRST machine.

Did you purchase the X8-2200? I am looking at a X8-1500 and I was hoping to get some feedback. I've seen a lot of not so good things about the Chinese machine, water pump noise and controllers in particular. So, I'm wondering what you have to say? My preference is a German machine, but at $4000 less I'm awfully tempted to roll the dice with OmioCNC.

BTW, I'm a disabled guy who still builds RC Warbirds but can't fly anymore. Anytime you or Zeeflyboy wanted talk RC, count me in please. Seems like we share some common interest.

David
    david@rcwarplanes.com

Downloads
    Uploads

When I bought mine the decision was simple - the 2200 had an ER20 collet, the 1500 had the smaller ER16 collet. I had a few 1/2" shank mills kicking around from a manual mill and wanted to be able to use them for surfacing and maybe hogging operations, so the 2200 was the way to go.

This may have changed since, but I've no regrets in buying the more powerful spindle version.

:edit: yeah, it has changed - mine's the X6 and the X8 wasn't available back then

Downloads
    Uploads

That's a good enough reason then.

I missed the spindle power difference but the difference between 1.5kw and the 2.2kw is not a big deal to me.

The X6 things is my fault, I just had a "brain fart" at the time.

The bigger bed caught my eye, I will use it mostly for signs and large scale R/C planes.

If you had it all to do again would you buy another OmniCNC router?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat104 View Post
    Coolice,

What made you choose a X8-2200 over the X8-1500? I'm kinda stuck between the two. This will be my FIRST machine.

Did you purchase the X8-2200? I am looking at a X8-1500 and I was hoping to get some feedback. I've seen a lot of not so good things about the Chinese machine, water pump noise and controllers in particular. So, I'm wondering what you have to say? My preference is a German machine, but at $4000 less I'm awfully tempted to roll the dice with OmioCNC.

BTW, I'm a disabled guy who still builds RC Warbirds but can't fly anymore. Anytime you or Zeeflyboy wanted talk RC, count me in please. Seems like we share some common interest.

David
    david@rcwarplanes.com
    Hey David.

Ah a fellow modeller, these machines are popular with us modellers.

In the end I didn’t go with a CNC router, but went with an 80 watt X700 clone laser cutter instead. Having tried a smaller K40 40 watt laser, it seemed to show me that this route gave me greater flexibility to do other things to make the machine earn it’s keep. Also there is less problem with dust, I just have to extract the fumes out of my workshop.
    The router is better for cutting thicker materials, but I’m easily cutting 12mm PLY with this machine and it is working for the main application I wanted it for. Maybe in time I will add a router to the workshop as well.

Ian

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought about laser at first but I need to cut 4mm aluminum and the router seems a lot better for my need.

Let me ask you a quick question; (NEWBIE question) I like a lot of things I see better on the X8-2200, but I don't understand. Is it just as reliable as the "old" way of having a computer tethered to it running Mach3? Any reason that it would not accept a USB 3.0 thumb drive?

I understand that you may not speak from first-hand experience but you have done more research than me, for sure since I have done none!

If you need something routed in the meantime (until you add one), let me know and maybe I can help. I plan to order mine this weekend, whichever one I choose.

Downloads
    Uploads

My take on the orange box is this:

It's competing against Mach 3 with eleventy billion users and years of bugfixing and features etc, or more recently say UCCNC which has a smaller but highly active user base here and elsewhere. With either of those, if you get stuck, there's a wealth of online help and - with UCCNC anyway - there's manufacturer support and a reasonably quick turnaround on bugs and enhancements.

The orange box is a mystery package. Anything goes wrong or you get stuck, then at the moment you're stuck with Lance and co for support - and there are plenty of posts about how patchy that can be.

For me that doesn't feel comfortable. It might work fine, and if it does you've saved the cost and hassle of wiring up a computer. But, if it doesn't, you're kinda screwed. And I haven't yet seen enough people post "I have one of these and it does all the stuff you want to do dharmic and it works brilliantly and I've never had a problem with it" to make me feel confident about them.

Downloads
    Uploads

That was pretty much my thought, "lack of support". I was drawn to the 2200 because of the 2.2kw water-cooled spindle. I'm sure the air-cooled 1.5kw is fine but I believe in over kill.

I was hoping you would say that EVERYONE was saying it was working flawlessly!

Downloads
    Uploads

To be fair, I've not seen anyone post a hatespew at the orange box or even, really, complain about it. Could actually turn out well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dharmic,

I'm not sure I understand which machine you went with?

Your work looks real good to me!

I'm still torn/confused (or something) between the X-8 1500 and the X8 2200. I would go for the X8 2200 if I understood it a little better. I'm hoping that you can shed some light on that.

My biggest concern with the X8 2200 is that I loose control over the machine. Plus, as a NEWBIE, I've done ALL of my research on the kind of controller that's on the X8 1500.

Downloads
    Uploads

I primarily cut aluminum, and I run out of rigidity far before I run out of power even with only an 800w spindle, but I would get a larger spindle just to have the larger ER collet on it, er16 is pretty limiting for even simple things like getting an edge finder (there are far fewer options that come with 1/4" shanks).

You can always change the controller out if you really want to. Mach is the safe overall bet, even for incidental reasons (finding a reliable mach post for your CAM of choice will be trivial). I wouldn't be scared of the orange box controller, but I don't regret getting the black box even as I'm gutting it and building it a different way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks!

I never thought of being able to switch out the boxes! Good idea!

What type of aluminum do you cut? I will need to cut aluminum occasionally and I'm curious.

Downloads
    Uploads

The X8s and orange boxed weren't on the menu when I bought mine, it's an X6-2200L with the black box which I've modified since to replace the usb interface with a CNCDrive UC400ETH ethernet controller with a cheapo isolating breakout board, added another power supply and laser driver.

Downloads
    Uploads

All 6061 so far. I need to move to 7075, but I haven't put any to chips yet.

And you don't even need to change the whole box. Even the orange box is going to have a VFD and 3 stepper drivers with their power supply in it. You can keep all that and change just the motion controller out for like an ESS if you want to use it with mach. Or you can take a black box and hook it up to one of those chinese standalone motion controllers for a similar setup as the orange box. It's just parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

As a new owner of an x6-2200 with orange box I can say that so far I'm extremely happy with it, build quality and accuracy of cuts. Delivery was very quick and hassle free

I love the orange box once I found the right post for fusion.

I've only just done my first cuts on aluminium and it seems to chew through it easily one thing I did add a cheap Chinese mister to it when I first received it and helps considerably.

So far majority of my work ( all hobby related) is isolation milling of pcb. Out of the box the orange box model works with coppercam so was extremely happy that no headaches there. Accuracy is great as I do all my work in 0603 Smd and it has no problems with this, with 15 and 30 deg vbits I'm finding it can do all I want.

Finding a post for fusion was another matter but now have a working one but currently doesn't support the 4th axis. No biggy ATM but mine is 4 axis machine so would like to use at some time.

I'm glad I went with the orange box as I didn't want to have a pic tied up, Very way to use and I simple copy m Gcode to USB plug in and away I go.

So in the short time I've owned this bit of kit I'm extremely happy with my purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat104 View Post
    I thought about laser at first but I need to cut 4mm aluminum and the router seems a lot better for my need.

Let me ask you a quick question; (NEWBIE question) I like a lot of things I see better on the X8-2200, but I don't understand. Is it just as reliable as the "old" way of having a computer tethered to it running Mach3? Any reason that it would not accept a USB 3.0 thumb drive?

I understand that you may not speak from first-hand experience but you have done more research than me, for sure since I have done none!

If you need something routed in the meantime (until you add one), let me know and maybe I can help. I plan to order mine this weekend, whichever one I choose.
    Hey Buddy.

Ah, yeah in that case the router is the better option as to cut metal on a laser you need to spend big money. I must admit that is the only downside with a laser and that is thin metal or carbon fibre cutting, as it just can't be done.

Hmm, I think this orange box question has been answered well. For me I liked the idea of it as it was a small, self contained controller that would (hopefully) just work. You transfer the Gcode from your PC to orange box via USB and away it went, but as stated with not much of a following yet, if you got into problems there is minimal back to help you. Where as the Mach3 option has a lot of user already that have no doubt had the exact same problems to advise you how to get out of them.

Thank you I'll keep that in mind. So far I'm ok with the 12mm PLY for my maximum usage, but in time may go for a small router as well.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast