Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router

Requested pics...

This is the z axis stepper mount upside down showing the 6 holes I drilled and counter sunk to attach the supports with screws.
    Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-cam02160-1-jpg

To clarify, the spindle doesn't attach to the supports I made. The supports are mounted to the top of the z axis carriage to keep the entire assembly from twisting ( being pushed upward) when plunging into material. You can see there is very little space around the spindle, just a couple mm's...
    Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-20150624_162011-1-jpg

Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-20150624_161847-1-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by RamzInnovations View Post
    Requested pics...

This is the z axis stepper mount upside down showing the 6 holes I drilled and counter sunk to attach the supports with screws.
    Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-cam02160-1-jpg

To clarify, the spindle doesn't attach to the supports I made. The supports are mounted to the top of the z axis carriage to keep the entire assembly from twisting ( being pushed upward) when plunging into material. You can see there is very little space around the spindle, just a couple mm's...
    Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-20150624_162011-1-jpg

Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-20150624_161847-1-jpg
    Ah ha! Much appreciated on the reply and pictures, and my apologizes for the late response - I've been swamped, too.

Solid, I get it now.

Now that I've got a better idea on what's going on, I'll jump this mod ahead of the enclosure.

Make anything cool lately? I always like seeing what other people are doing.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router

I can't find a way to upload to upload .tap files....any ideas?
    any chance i could get the file for the makita mount please mate.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just upgraded my steppers and drivers. I no long have drivers in my black box! I got 3 JMC-motor.com iHSS57-36-20 integrated closed loop steppers. 2nm or 283ozin. I was cutting some Delrin (PE) this morning. 1.5mm DOC s9000 PID controlled too! s2000 works! F3600 yes 60mm/s 141in/minute -- on a 3040! I did a number of things to get my latency down. Turned off Motherboard audio, removed print spoolers, only daemon still running is sshd. I went from 15000hz step rate to 20000hz step rate. I can get 7.2meters a minute jog rates. I have a video of mine running that 9000rpm 60mm/s cutting Delrin (PE). In my black box, I have the transformer, the rectifier board, and the Breakout board (BOB). I'm running Linuxcnc on Linux, since XP is no longer getting updated.
    Yes it's a mess... Been collecting the nice birch plywood from the granite shop when they end up with spare pieces. Once I get enough, I'll build the stand and enclosure. Running hall effect sensors for X home and Spindle speed, induction sensor for Y, and a micro switch for Z. The X, Y, and motor sensors are each driving a 2n2222 transistor across their respective pin. Spindle speed is pin 10, X is 11, Z is 12, Y is 15, probe right now is 13. Z is a switch with a capacitor for debounce. Normally open. I love the anti-twist X mod you did. I'm saving up to get supported rail and making the Gantry sides higher, wider and some bracing, and going to make Z taller. The 2 X rails will be further apart, tweaking the gantry design a bit, I could get X to over hang the sides so, Z could be wider and higher as well.

Anyone wanting those steppers email jmcxx@jmc-motion.com first and talk to Michael. You'll want to get the tuner box they have. Soon as I can get one, I'll start reverse engineering the rs232 serial protocol for the motors.

I'm back with another mod...

Flood coolant

And making some real chips!

I've been running this with the flood coolant for almost 3 months and it's been really awesome. Although I have a vice mounted in the pic I've been using a high density plastic spoil board setup using T-slot nuts and straps to hold down parts.

I decided to make a bow riser for my wife since she's been wanting a bow. So I went to the local metal supply and picked up a 1 1/4"x6"x9" slab of 6061 Al and this is what I came up with.... yeah a 1.25in thick of Al on a 3020!!!

Only 2 tools needed to make this bow handle!

1/4in 3 flute flat end with 45* helix from YG
    1/8 2 flue ball nose with about 30* helix from Suncoast

The accuracy is mind blowing!

***Latest recipe for 6061:***
    CAD/CAM: Fusion 360
    Cut Type: Adaptive, toroidal strategy
    DOC: 3.5mm
    Cutting Feed rate: 814mm/min.
    Ramp Feed/Angle: 680mm/min @ 7degrees
    Spindle RPM: 20,000
    Flood Coolant: Jancy Slugger Water soluble cutting fluid

Key things I've found that make this 3020 a reliable and accurate machine:

1. Spindle motor mod
    2. x-axis support guides
    3. Adaptive machining strategy
    4. 1/16th micro-stepping controller running @ 35k kernel speed on Mach3

Robi

Downloads
    Uploads

They go around the router body. From what I can see on Z to top he has very little clearance between the router and the guide supports, we are talking a few milimeters. The integrated closed loop steppers I put on make it easy for me to snap a 6mm endmill if I didn't mind bending things on the gantry. I just got some 15mm Rod I'm going to be doing the same upgrade on mine. I just have to plan for a 2.2kW air cooled er20 or er32 spindle. Right now I'm cutting a spindle bearing support so I can run a 88mm spindle body.

Robi

Downloads
    Uploads

My 400w spindle burned out the brushes. So i took off the fan and chucked my 3/8 DeWalt drill to the 8mm shaft. It is running at 4800rpm and I'm able to use a 6mm bit, which I couldn't with the straight spindle motor. The extra mass of the drill stopped the wobble I'd get. Yes it looks extremely cheesy, but works really well. The only down side is it's really loud. The JMC-MOTOR.COM iHSS57-36-20 steppers are really nice, did I should say REALLY REALLY nice to have. I haven't lost a step since I put them one. You should really talk to Michael jmcxx@jmc-motion.com to get some of these integrated closed loop steppers! I paid $114 each for the 2nm or 283ozin motors. They act like 425ozin motors since I don't have to worry about loosing steps. The also have an alarm so if they get to far out of position you can have them estop your machine. There is also a signal to say when they are at position (PED). Soon as I get money, I'll be getting a tool changing spindle for around $2000. Yes it's over kill on this machine, how ever I will be building a new machine and all the nice part off this one will go onto that one and this one will revert to stock -- well mostly stock. It'll have a new spindle mount which you can see me milling in the picture. so it can handle anything that I can bolt on. IE 52mm, 65mm, 88mm, and 100mm. Search ebay for "3kw tool changing spindle vfd" for a 100mm diameter water cooled BT30 spindle with lots of extra features. Mods, Upgrades and Fixes Thread for 3020 and 3040 Desktop Mill/Router-cnc3040drill-jpg

Robi

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi !
    i got 3040 300w spindle 4axis usb version ,,
    and want to upgrade with makita like your (have one before just rt700c model)
    what usb / win 10/x64 os controller i need ?

i dont like xp or idea of buyin one old pc for it ,,i will use laptop for fusion 360 and running it with cnc
    windows 10 x64 os
    you say best thing we can update are
    "1. Spindle motor mod
    2. x-axis support guides
    3. Adaptive machining strategy "
    spindle motor mod is makita + better board ?
    x-axis support are ??

3 is smart way to pick speed tools .... i guess

thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea if i should get one of these and heavily mod it or get a MillRight Carve King or even a MillRight M3 with some rigidity upgrades. I really just need something relatively fast and accurate at aluminum for under $1000. I'm new at this and not sure I could make all the mods described here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Has anyone tried to add a laser to this CNC? I am considering buying a CNC for metal with laser capability, but the ones available have small working area. If a laser can be added to 3040 with usb, it would be awesome.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That MillRight only has NEMA 17 steppers, I notice. With $1000 I think a 6040 would be worth it so you can have an 80mm spindle, meaning ER16 or even ER20 collet, and the same 24k rpm. If it's a 3040, you'll be using ER11 collet, so check that and see if you're still okay on tooling. One of the things to look for is the rated max carving speed of the machine. It's a good sign if this is specified. I'd expect 3500 - 4000 mm/min.

That's if it's $1k and under on the machine itself, though. There's a lot to spend on related stuff, if you're starting out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12