Newbie OmioCNC report - Page 73

Page 73 of 108 FirstFirst ... 23637071727374757683 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 2141

Thread: OmioCNC report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: OmioCNC report

I have a X6-2200. How hard would it be to wire in a laser.

Focusable 500mw 808nm Infrared IR Laser Diode Dot Module TTL 12V Carving | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

I've done it, you may want to think about it some more.

1. 500mW is useless. Mine is 3.5W and even that struggles to do anything more than cut paper.
    2. Do you have air blast? Because once you get anything useful on there (power wise) it's going to need cooling. And a mechanism for blowing the smoke away from the lens. Lenses hate smoke. Laser modules hate getting hot.
    3. Do some reading on the 808nm side of it. Different wavelengths work better for different materials, jobs etc. Mine is a 440nM (blue) laser, but there are all kinds of flavours.
    4. The one you linked has no power control. If nothing else, being able to run 1% power just to throw a dot down for alignment then 100% for cut/engrave makes a huge difference.
    5. The YongNuo USB breakout supplied with the OmioCNC does not support the M10, M11 commands for dwell free laser on/off. You end up having the machine move to the end of a line, then stop - burning out a huge hole - before the laser turns off. Or switching the laser on at the start and dwelling before it begins the move. Either way, it's horrible. I fixed it by giving the YongNuo board the old heave-ho and replacing it with a UC400Eth ethernet board, which is a whole other project.
    6. You'll need to sort out some kind of fume extraction. Most of the things low power lasers can put a dent in (plastics etc) release some fairly evil chemistry when you burn 'em. So you need to rig up an extractor fan and either a shoe or an enclosure for your machine.
    7. Safety - make sure you have the appropriate glasses, but also make sure you control access to the machine area. Don't want to blind your cat as he walks through, or your missus as she brings a snack down to the shed for you

So yes, you can do it. It's an adventure. Consider, too, the other option: there are fairly cheap solid state laser units available on their own gantry machines ready to go, probably costing less than what you'll end up burning through in time, materials etc getting it working on the OmioCNC.

Downloads
    Uploads

General metrology Rule of Thumb: if you want to halve the error, you double the cost.
    Sigh.

Cheers
    Roger

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    I've wasted too much time trying to get the spindle to hold its tram in x. Even milling a bit of softwood is enough to knock it back out again. I even tried shimming the inside of the spindle mount with tin foil to try and gain more contact area and cranked those bolts down to 40nm (not at all recommended with aluminium female threads!) and it still didn't really help. Interesting to note though it's never knocked off my Y tram, only the X. Maybe the mount is pivoting on the Z plate or the spindle could be moving inside the mount, or likely a combination of both.

*snip*

It will be interesting to see how it holds out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just out of interest, I checked again after a fair old aluminium milling job (including 10mm DoC/1mm WoC with a 10mm roughing end mill) and it was pretty much spot on still... will check again after a few more jobs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Would you guys recommend removing the z-axis shield? Space above the spindle is not really an issue, but that extra 1-2 inches of z depth is fairly annoying for creating setups. We plan on making a dust shoe soon, and we already have the air blast supplies ready.

Downloads
    Uploads

Interesting zee. Although I never checked mine so soon after making a cut, it was always a fair old time later.

bl775 - probably. The dust cover is crap, there's big gaps around the top and bottom of each half, if you're cutting wood lots of dust finds its way in, the first time I took mine off the rails and ball screw were covered thick in gunk. Keeping the motion parts clean is key, and taking that thing on and off all the time soon gets old. That said, I still put mine back on OmioCNC report

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't bother with the shield, I find it too limited in Z with them fitted.

I don't think it's that big of an issue - when cutting alu the chips are fairly large and big enough to be kept clear of the screws and rails by the wipers. When cutting stuff that makes a finer dust I tend to use a vac shoe.

I certainly wouldn't be afraid to take them off if you need the extra travel, just keep things well lubed and clean as mmpie mentioned. A vac shoe would certainly be a good idea if you are removing them though and cutting dusty/abrasive stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads

Back on to tram. I've just been given my mostly finished new bed so I can drill and tap my new mounting holes. (It's amazingly more rigid, I pushed up my entire body weight feet off the floor in the middle and it only deflected 0.03mm).

Anyway the bed is a nice and perfectly flat reference to dial off. Turns out my gantry is 1mm higher at one end than the other. Currently trying to straighten it as much as I can without having to take it apart and widen holes. But I guess that is a massive factor as to why my machine was so hopeless at holding tram in the X. I was essentially twisting the spindle into a dodgy position to get it straight and I assume the forces of cutting kept pushing it back to a neater fit.

Just as a reference Dharmic how level did you manage to get yours between the four corners and do you have a slump in the middle?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mmpie - personally I would be tempted to measure the distance it's out in Z over the top of the Y rails (or as close as you can get), then insert shim steel of the appropriate thickness on top of the carriages. You will find your Y rails probably wander a little in Z along their length, so you may want to take an average of several readings at various Y positions.

Funny that it could be so far out, I always assume the biggest flatness issue was just the extrusion bed. I wonder where that is coming from.... either your Y-rail extrusions are locked up against the front/back extrusions so they can't really be that far out, and 1mm would be obvious if the X-axis extrusion was misaligned with the top of the gantry arm... that only really leaves a significantly bent lower carriage/screw plate or one gantry arm longer than the other which seems unlikely given that the latter is CNC'd.

If you attach an indicator to the X and run along the top of the extrusion does it drift much?

Downloads
    Uploads

I managed to get the difference down from 1.03mm to 0.68mm after unbolting everything including rails and hammering it into shape. I remember one poster had a problem with the big bottom (Y?) plate the gantry bolts into being thicker at one end but last time I had it apart I measured all that up and there's no more than 0.02mm difference between any point at either side (the marks I wrote are still on there).

What I think the problem is is that the threaded holes at each end of the gantry (where it bolts into the side arms) are at different places at each end. I can feel there is more of a lip between the side arm and the gantry beam at one side than there is at the other. What I think I will do is put folded up tin foil under the side arm to shim it up.

I always knew that I was cutting deeper at one end than the other but I put it down to the crappy bed it came with, one of my panels was thicker than the rest which I'd assumed was the problem.

I don't have a mag base for my indicator so I can't try that suggestion, but that's reminded me I need to get one.

Also, I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about my wobbly x ball screw. It's really, really wobbly. Running the X axis left and right with the rails loosened off made the whole Z axis and spindle assembly rock like an old school V12 engine. Still not sure if it's twisted or just a really bad fit in the bearing, either way, it seems to have little effect when the rails are bolted tight, they force it straight, which makes me think it's probably the latter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm still setting up and would be grateful of a little help with the home switches. The y-axis appears to work, in that the switch stops all motion - I can then press reset and move away from the stop.

Z-axis doesn't appear to work at all, yet the x-axis seems to trigger 2 home switches. I've attached screenshots of when the home switches are made in turn, and of the ports/pins.

On a separate note (and for when I've got the home switches working correctly!) do I need to set up software limits for the opposite direction travel to the home switches?

Thanks.OmioCNC report-x-home-pngOmioCNC report-y-home-pngOmioCNC report-z-home-pngOmioCNC report-capture-pngOmioCNC report-capture-2-pngOmioCNC report-capture-3-png

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mmpie View Post
    Just as a reference Dharmic how level did you manage to get yours between the four corners and do you have a slump in the middle?
    Lots of coke can shims. I re-used the existing bolt holes. Measured the runout at the back of travel and at the front of the deck, packed out to level it. There's not so much a sag in the middle of mine as waves of about 0.04mm in both X and Y - I'm guessing this happened as a result of stress being relieved as we drilled holes after the surfacing ops.

Turned out the frame was pretty square. At least once the new deck was bolted down, no idea what it was like before that. Clamped down a straight edge against dowel pins, measured off the runout, was about 0.02mm across 300mm in X and 0.04mm across 400mm in Y.

I could chase it forever but I forced myself to stop, it's now ten times better than it was and, seriously, gantry deflection is probably now my biggest enemy. If I need it any tighter than this I'm just going to get a real mill instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your ports are set up for two separate inputs on X and Z, so I'd be chasing a mis-connection somewhere. Remove the connectors from the microswitches and short the pairs out in turn using a paper clip, does it work then? If not, probably time to either get in touch with Omio for assistance, or, if you're somewhat confident, open up the box and check the limit switch wiring.

You could set up soft limits but don't have to - I've never bothered with mine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your machine sounds like it arrived in a much better way than mine! I opted not to reuse the original holes because they were so bad. Some were so poorly tapped they stripped, some weren't even straight and some were misaligned, I never bothered to measure whether they were out on the frame or bed panels, for the sake of half an hours work I just decided to do my own which are square, well threaded and properly aligned.

I don't think my X to Y alignment is at all bad, never measured the travel itself but I have measured plenty of things I made and the tolerances and consistency are surprisingly good. I think anyway.

If you use the Mach 3 settings omio send out, it should have soft limits already set up.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies, but it was me at fault I think! The Z-axis home switch got broken in transit so I replaced it with one of the supplied spares. It seems that the wiring on the replacement switch is different to the others. A bit of mucking around with a multimeter and I think the home switches are sorted.In Mach 3:
    Z-switch triggers M3 Home
    Y-switch triggers M2 Home
    X-switch triggers M1 and M6 Home (no idea why)

"Ref All Home" seems to work correctly - motors to each switch in turn then backs off a touch.

If I'm moving around using Mach 3, making the home switches in turn stops the machine so that I have to reset and can then move off the stop - except in the Y-axis! If I trigger the Y-axis home switch and then reset I can only move in +ve Y (ie further into the microswitch!). To recover, I have to turn off the power and turn the stepper manually until the switch is unmade. Is this normal?!

Downloads
    Uploads

What do you mean by reset? Are you pressing the big red button after homing?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No - sorry - not after homing or the big red button. Pressing reset in Mach 3 after 'accidentally' motoring into the y-axis home switch. Hopefully a contrived situation that I'll never be in admittedly, but wanted to test everything out!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default OmioCNC report

Does anyone know if the ball bearings inside the ball nuts are captive? Whilst jiggling things around I decided to strip the X down to clean it and figure out where the play is coming from in the ball screw, as I did get it to bind again.

I think the ball nut might be bollocksed anyway, it was covered in oil and so was the bracket it sits in, none of the others were like that so I guess it's burst somehow?

Also I was right about the holes in the side of the gantry beam being unaligned. They are 1mm further down at one edge.

Last edited by Mmpie; 09-25-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Most definitely not captive!!!! If you remove the nut you need to use a tube to roll it onto (or a bag to catch the balls at least!)

Oil doesn’t mean anything, they aren’t particularly sealed so not like it was full of oil and now the seals have burst or anything. It is quite dark though which might just be dirt but could suggest heavy wear.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by zeeflyboy View Post
    Most definitely not captive!!!! If you remove the nut you need to use a tube to roll it onto (or a bag to catch the balls at least!)

Oil doesn’t mean anything, they aren’t particularly sealed so not like it was full of oil and now the seals have burst or anything. It is quite dark though which might just be dirt but could suggest heavy wear.
    Just as well I didn't remove it in the end then! As I wasn't sure. I found out the ball screw is definitely bent, I'm not sure why but as a guess I think it might have been cut a bit on the big side, the nuts at each end had really been cranked down tight as well. I also discovered one of the linear bearing carriages on the X axis is missing four or five ball bearings. It's never seemed to cause any problem so I'll probably just try to wing it, but if I ever strip the gantry down again I will make sure I have some balls at hand to fill it up.

Page 73 of 108 FirstFirst ... 23637071727374757683 ... LastLast