CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...

Hi

I bought a CNC 6040 a couple of weeks ago and i have some serious problems.

The machine and the controller for the stepper motors works ok. I have tried it out with Mach3 and it seems to function correctly. The build quality of the 'thing' is ok, not great, but its a robust piece of equipment.

My problem is that I cant get the spindle motor to function. I have programmed the VFD that came with the 0.8 kW water cooled spindle according to the instructions from the seller:

PD013 = 8 (factory reset)
    PD005 = 400 Hz
    PD004 = 400 Hz
    PD003 = 400 Hz

The first time i started the motor ran for about 2 mins, with the water cooling running, then i stopped it as it seemed to be working.

Now when i press start on the VFDs control panel the motor jerks, runs maybe a turn or two and then the VFD trips with E.O.C.A (over-current).

I have checked and measured the cables for shortcuts and bad connections but they are ok.
    I have tried to measure the resistance of the windings in the motor but i dont know what values are ok. If I measure between any two of the three windings i get next to 0 ohms ( maybe 3-5 ). Is this ok, or is it a sign that the motor is broken?

I have an ongoing discussion with the seller about the spindle problem ( and some other issues with missing cables and wrong sized collets ), but the seller acts a bit evasive and asks me to produce some sort of evidence of what is wrong. The seller told me to bring the VFD to someone who could check if it is broken. But i dont know of anyone who could do that.

I have even made a short movie clip and sent that to the seller since he says that all text is machine translated to chinese and that they have to see movies or pictures describing what the problem is.

Does anyone here have any advise on how to find out what the root cause of the problem is?

Edit: Personally I think the motor is broken. But how would I prove that it is the motor and not the VFD?

Many thanks
    /Fredrik

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

A low reading of a few ohms is normal for a AC induction motor, have you tried a start command with the motor disconnected?
    If it goes into O.C. in this mode it usually indicates a shorted solid state power device.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Al.
    I feel a bit stupid not having thought about that obvious test myself

/F

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I just tested the VFD with the spidle motor disconnected at the motor end of the cable.
    When pressing start the VFD display starts to show acceleration ( increasing revolution ) and continues to increase the speed until it reaches 400. Pressing stop gently decreases speed until it reaches 0.

Is this the proof i need to convince the seller that it is the motor that i broken?

/F

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you tried disconnecting the control lines from the spindle to the controller, and just powering and controlling up the spindle directly from the vfd since? Effectivley bypassing any relays, etc.

Also, my unit had a similar problem, it turned out to be some swarf from the mounting holes in the controller case shorting some pins!

The spindle should happily run for hours when testing it without any coolant when not under any load.

Another problem my one had was that the parallel cable that came with it, was shielded at both ends, and noise was feeding back into the control circuitry making it go haywire. Changing the cable also helped as the unit had numerous earthing problems, and the multiple earths was not helping at all in the end.

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Ian

Thanks for your advise but I am running my spindle without any connection to the controller. Just the vfd connected to the spindle.

I am currently uploading some more video proof to photobucket. I will update this post when it is done.

/F

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would see if you can't find the acceleration curve in the Vfd manual, that might be the cause of your problem, I had an over current fault on my new spindle when I had the curve programmed wrong. Do you have the Vfd manual? More than likely it's on the web someplace.

I had a similar problem with my original 2.2 kw watercooled spindle. It failed with the same error after the first time it was used hard. Of course that was outside of the warranty period so I was on my own to deal with it.

What's curious about yours is it failed so early on. Even if I hooked the old spindle up today it would run fine until it got to between 70-80 degrees f. Then show the over current.

I am not sure how you can truly test either the Vfd or the spindle without a second one of each. I know it is frustrating. I went the cheap route and just replaced both with new Chinese Vfd and air cooled 3kw spindle.

Just to see the result I installed the new Vfd while the machine had the old spindle still on it. Programmed it to match the acceleration curve of the 2.2kw motor, and had the same issue.

It sounds to me like the spindle is blame, do you know anyone else that has a Vfd / spindle set up you could try the spindle on?

I am sorry for your frustration, I went through it to with a US importer of a similar machine.

In the end I had to deal with the issue myself. On these machines you will learn lots about how they work. They do work you just have to work the bugs out of them.

If they won't replace the spindle you have a few options.
    Go the eBay route , it's cheap but quality is questionable
    You would get a new spindle and Vfd for a few $ US

Go with a better spindle from columbo, I have another thread on here where on of the other people on this site is a legitimate US dealer. A spindle and Vfd set up that small would be pretty affordable.
    This option would be the best.

Wait for china to possibly send you a new one.

If you have to buy it , go bigger on the power, a spindle that is .8 kw can be overloaded pretty easily.

I hope I was a help. If you need the columbo dealers info,I can find it for you.

I hope your day gets better. I am off to see the eclipse.

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all your wisdom Jon.

Today I spent some time trying to produce some evidence of my problems.
    I ended up with two new videos which i sent to the seller.

And

And Jon, yes my day actually got better later on
    /F

Downloads
    Uploads

Had a look at the videos, with the collet size that is normal, one of the first things you'll need to do is buy a set of ER11 collets, as the set of cutters they supply are all usually small shank, but generally you do get a 1/8th and a 1/4 collet with the spindle. Maybe this seller just doesn't supply the 1/8th, or they forgot it?

Out of curiosity, have you tried removing the spindle from the machine chassis and just powering it up on laying it on a towel or something so it's electrically isolated from the machine, assuming it doesn't have an earth wire inside the connector from the vfd to the spindle that is? I say this in case there is a form of digital grounding or earthing not properly implimented, and the spindle may be completing a path and introducing noise inappropriately?

From all i've seen here and with my machines, crappy mains and digital ground or earthing, or the lack thereof is the biggest problem with these units, even with my large unit the earth lead was cut off!

cheers,
    Ian

It's a state of mind!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also... check the spindle cable and make sure pins 1,2 and 3 are connected to the 3 phases from the VFD - they may have wired the cable incorrectly and now you have the earths figured out for the rest of the machine one phase may be shorting to ground.

If pin 4 is connected it should be to ground and I'd recommend cutting it to see if it helps.

I have 2 chinese machines and one had no shielding on the VFD cable and it produced enough EM interference to take out the wired ethernet. The other one arrived with no ground connected in the power socket and 110 volts floating between the chassis of the machine and the PC ground. I'm glad I checked and tied everything to ground before rewiring it for mach3.

--
    Jon

Downloads
    Uploads

Default huangyang inverter 2.2 E.OC.A error

i i have the same problem but my inverter was running ok and today something poped (explode) inside it.
    i´ve been running this inverter for almost a year with no problem.
    now when i press star it displayis the error code E.OC.A
    does somebody know how can i resolve this?
    i need to test for shortcuts but dont know how..
    thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all,
    Im having a similar problem my motor will run all day on 400 hz but when I try to change frequency it will run for about 4-5 mins then shows error code and slows to stop.
    Tried different things but to no joy .
    Can any one help.
    Thanks
    Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Together

Actually i have 3 CNC Machines to Set-up. The CNC 3020 worked real well! the Spindle i s a little bit crappy (Bearings) and also the rest is not a Swiss Standard. But hey, for the money its ok, and it works. i even modified it, so i can right now Turn on and off the Spindle and also set the speed with linux CNC. Modification was very easy.

The Second:
    A CNC 6040, just as this one:
    Ball screw CNC 6040 (800w spindle 1.5kw VFD) + 4 axis + tailstock, (four axis, rotation axis) cnc engraving machine CNC Router-in Wood Router from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com

Here is the Controller of it.
    CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...-6040-jpg

After a few hours mechanical reparations, and conector, etc repairs, the machine worked... wuu haaa!

But i had the problem that the spindle was speeding up way too slow...
    It was running fine, exept it had about 10 secs to reach the full speed.
    Therefore i searched for the manual but found no manual for this CNC Spindle Driver / VFD...

so i took another one, which looked similar to my menu.
    Now i changed the delays, and now the machine isnt working.... I think i changed something wrong, because the manual and the machine i have, probably have a different menu....

P013 is definitifely the Reset Menu, so i done a reset. now the spindle runs very slowly. i f i turn up the speed a little bit it gives me a overcurrent error.

The VFD is a 1.5kW and the motor has about 0.8Kw.

now my questions: Does anyone have a manual to the VFD on the Picture?
    Does anyone have the Standart settings of this machine? (And the Motor Datas?)

Thanks a lot in advance

Greetings

Simon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello Togheter

No one has a Manual for this VFD?

It is a RLPM2-1R5G-S2-2-485 ...

Now i found some Settings which worked for me.....

I have now to fine tune it, because there are some things still wrong, for example the RPM Value, is about 4x bigger as it is showed on the panel...

I found the Manual for the HY07D543B , and this seems to be come to the closest of this VFD.

The Settings i made, actually are the following:

First, to set back all other settings / and the Wrong ones (Perhaps you should thry it without PD013 First, if its not working then go throug all again with PD013 first, to reset all settings. With a reset, all other parameters are set back, also perhaps still good parameters...)

PD013: 8 (Factory Reset: Factory)

then

PD000: 0 (Parameter lock: OFF)

PD001: 0 (Source of Commands: Operator) [I think Operator means the Controll panel of the VFD, can chanched to a External input]

PD002: 3 (Source of Operating Frequency: Operator) [I think Operator means the Controll panel of the VFD]

PD003: 400 (Main Frequency)

PD004: 400 (Base Frequency)

PD005: 400 (Max Frequency)

PD006: 2.5 ( Intermediate Frequency)

PD007 0.50 (Min Frequency)

PD008: 220v (Max Voltage)

PD046: 13 (Stops the Machine when a Stop switch is connected between GND and RST)

PD070: 1 (Analog input : 0-5Volt) [I think this value is just neded if Set in PD001 something else then 0, not sure]

PD072: 400 (Higher Analog Frequency) [I think this value is just neded if Set in PD001 something else then 0, not sure]

PD073:0 (Lower Analog Frequency) [I think this value is just neded if Set in PD001 something else then 0, not sure]

PD141: 220v (Rated Motor Voltage)

PD142: 5 (Rated Current Motor) [This one is the one of the most important, Less, means less force, More means more heat you can

PD143: 4 (Motor Pole Number) start with 1 Ampere to test...]

PD144:3000 (Rated Motor Revolution)

Also you should Pay attention to your Maximum Revolutions per minute, given by the Motor type (and the bearings of the Motor).
    If you go over the specifications, you will Destroy the Motor.

Anyway, if someone has a original Manual i would be happy to take a look at the PD Parameters.

Many thanks in advance

Greetings Simon

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...-hyxxd-vfd-manual-rlpm2-1r5g-s2-2-a  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...

Here is. Inverter which you have is the same, but another name.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...-d5m-20user-20manual-20v1-0-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,It just so happens that I think that I can help you with a VFD manual for a PRT-E1500w .I do not know how to download it (new here) so can Email if required regards coldte

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Re: CNC 6040T E1500w VFD/Spindle problem...

Hi, The vfd you downloaded is not the one that I have,this one is specifically for the prt-E1500w water cooled router and front of console is a different layout.Would upload but not sure how,will e-mail if required. regards coldte

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: CNC 6040 VFD/Spindle problem...

Hi, I have a similar machine ,A PRT_E1500w USB Router itself new. From what you have sent in post and what I have read (and Tried ) in other post about resetting vfd I reset with D0176. so perhaps we should both check! Personally I would switch to manual,configure D0001,D0032 and connect motor and run from console ,this will tell you for certain whether it is ok or not .Mine runs well and is fully adjustable.Please note you will not run without Resetting fault code(Been There) Hope this helps a bit

Downloads
    Uploads

i WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE THE VFD INFORMATION MANUAL FOR THE PRT-E1500W. i HOPE IT IS THE USB AND NOT THE PARALLEL PORT TYPE. IF SO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS bn2bp6@aol.com. if this helps you will be my HERO. THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH. JLB1

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a very old thread you should start a new one

Last edited by mactec54; 02-20-2021 at 10:04 AM.
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast