Industrial Hobbies Build

Thread: Industrial Hobbies Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Industrial Hobbies Build

Well I worked with Gene at IH and ordered my Mill. I don't know what you call someone who researches so much about a mill that their eyes hurt .

I got the Manual Mill with the power feed to start my journey.

I started out looking at the X3 type mills but my project needed more travel on the table. Many hours of research led me to this Mill. I have the space to support the foot print (Not a huge amount really) and just kept comming back to the fact that buying once a little larger than I need (Of course a little more money) was in the long run cheaper than buying twice.

When I got to the ZAY type RF-45 clones I found my way to the IH and after reading the threads feel I went the right path. Gene was patient over the three days it took me to get my configuration ordered (I wanted the VFD but not in the budget at the moment) .

I also have seen NOTHING but good feedback about the IH for its class of machine. I did my american iron home work but I really am not there yet from a skills perspective or a foot print perspective. I looked hard at a Grizzly RF-45 clone but had I not really paid attention to the CNCZONE forums I would have ended up with a 3 phase machine which I don't have power setup for. So props to the CNCZONE for this gold mine of talent and information.

So I will cronical my setup here.

I am also getting the G0602 Lathe to setup as well.

Thanks to Gene and all who post on the CNCZONE for the help!!!

I love to post pictures so I will be starting soon

Here is my last cnc project.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=26227&page=13

http://www.practicalmetal.com

Similar Threads:
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike,

3-phase is not a problem. It just means you need to buy a $150 VFD. It will cost you more in the long run to convert later. And the IH motor is non-standard (large frame, small shaft), which makes it more difficult to do the conversion yourself.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Downloads
    Uploads

not necessarily. i did a 56c conversion and it works really well.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anybody notice that the IH guys dont post on the IH forum? And if they do post which is about 3 or 4 times a year they just say (Call us at the shop) ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Davo727;
    We at IH are a very customer orientated company. Most of our customers contact us regularly to chat about mills, problems or anything on their mind. We read all the post daily and enjoy the diversity of subjects that are the norm. We post when a customer has a problem and we have them call us and the problem is usually resolved very quickly. We sponsor this forum to give every machinist at every level of experience a place to share their ideas, thoughts and intellect about the thing we all love the most, making chips.

IHCNC
    Gene & Tommy

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IHCNC View Post
    Hi Davo727;
    We at IH are a very customer orientated company. Most of our customers contact us regularly to chat about mills, problems or anything on their mind. We read all the post daily and enjoy the diversity of subjects that are the norm. We post when a customer has a problem and we have them call us and the problem is usually resolved very quickly. We sponsor this forum to give every machinist at every level of experience a place to share their ideas, thoughts and intellect about the thing we all love the most, making chips.
    he he... that was fast! :rainfro:

dad used to say... "once is ignorance. the second time you're stupid!"

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    Mike,

3-phase is not a problem. It just means you need to buy a $150 VFD. It will cost you more in the long run to convert later. And the IH motor is non-standard (large frame, small shaft), which makes it more difficult to do the conversion yourself.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Where do you get a Variable Freq Drive VFD for $150.00?

Evan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by IHCNC View Post
    Hi Davo727;

Cool, post a pic once in a while of a IH mill making IH mill parts or something new and special

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HI Folks;
    The new IH website will have plenty of movies and pics. It is about half done and should be out in about 3 to 4 weeks.

IHCNC
    Gene & Tommy

Downloads
    Uploads

Default IH Mill Arrived today

I did some upgrades before my unit shipped I decided to add the VFD and the DRO.

Got my IH today and gave it a quick overview and it looks good. I will work to carve out a spot for it and fire it up.

Thanks Gene for puttin up with me and to all you will like the mill and the service also.

Did I mention this thing is big. I am 5'-10" and notice the head on the mill is way down.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Industrial Hobbies Build-ih-mill-size-jpg  
    MetalHead - http://www.mechmate.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Congrats on the new mill! Gene & crew are really outstanding on service. Great bunch to talk to on the phone as well. That smile on your face looks similar to the one I had when my mill showed up! You`re going to have some fun with the new gear!

Downloads
    Uploads

Mike.. thanks for showing yourself in picture

http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/