lifting the mill?

Thread: lifting the mill?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question lifting the mill?

Hi guys, I moved recently and need to lift the mill off its pallet.
    In the past I've borrowed a friend's engine hoist and a heavy tow strap, while it worked it was a bit of a scary procedure and always left me uneasy seeing the mill dangle with minimal control.

Has anyone here used a forklift to pick up the mill from under the table (with some thick wood to protect the underside) ?

thanks in advance

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: lifting the mill?

What kind of mill? The table would not be my first choice.

I normally lift from the ram. 2x4s under the ram ways.

Or using straps, using 4 layers of cardboard to protect the straps

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lifting the mill?-img_0585-jpg   lifting the mill?-img_0459-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the reply.
    I'm trying to lift my IHCNC / Charter Oak cnc mill, it weighs like 1k pounds or maybe 1.1k at most.
    I suppose I'd have to use tow straps with the fork lift if I try to lift it from the head (similar to how I did the with the HF engine hoist. It left me a little uneasy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Lifting on the column would be my choice, with a balance strap to the front of the machine somewhere. I'm surprised that there is no lifting hole through the column. You might be able to lasso the head right against the column, but you would want to strap the head down to the base so you are not putting any pressure on the leadscrew.

The table will take a lot of weight downward, but is not designed to lift.

Downloads
    Uploads

The 12Z has horizontal lifting holes in the base.

Downloads
    Uploads

I talked to Tommy last night. Always enjoyed chatting with him. He's doing well and is enjoying his new job.

He mentioned that he used to use a fork lift to move these mills around his shop.
    The preferred method is to place wooden boards under the table, move the head all the way down and move the table all the way back to get a low center of gravity. Moving the table back will prevent it from tipping backwards when lifted.

He liked to lift from behind, but could also be done from the front.
    Since I want the stand to go close to a wall, mine will need to be lifted from the front.

I will try to grab some pics when I do this in a couple of weeks.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi guys, I rented a fork lift and repositioned the mill onto its table. Worked like a charm and far safer (in my opinion) and less stressful than using an engine hoist.
    I had a komatsu fork lift with 5000 lbs lift capability, it managed to get into my garage easily and it was quite maneuverable.
    I put 2 pieces of wooden board under the table and taped them in place.
    I set the forks under the table, as close together as possible without contacting anything.
    After I lifted the mill up from the pallet an inch I tilted the forks inwards towards me to prevent the mill from tipping backwards, this cradled it nicely and I was able to hop out, remove the pallet and put the mill on the table without much trouble.
    I set it down gently and tightened down the screws holding it in place.

Unfortunately in the excitement I did not have a camera handy. Wish I had remembered!