12Z manual R8 keyway fell out?

Thread: 12Z manual R8 keyway fell out?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 12Z manual R8 keyway fell out?

Is this a common problem? The collets now spin freely

Here is the best image I could take looking up into it

The machine doesn't have many hours on it, light work (AL), and maybe less than 50 tool changes.

I'm starting to realize I have not purchased a mill, but I have really purchased some castings with dovetails. I understand my machine could be a fluke, assembled during a bad time when Master Chen was out sick.

The problem here is, I have spent more hours diagnosing and repairing issues on this machine, and I probably need to take the spindle out and fix this now, so here are more hours spent repairing the machine rather than cutting chips. Both the X Y scales rubbed off, those are so important yet they are now completely useless. So there goes more money dumped into the machine installing DROs. I have used several manual mills just fine counting turns and looking at dash marks, I don't 'need' a DRO.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 12Z manual R8 keyway fell out?

I don't have the 12Z mill but many owners with R-8 spindles have issues with their collet keys and most opt to just remove them and use the mill without a key. Apparently the R8 collet taper and drawbar are usually sufficient to keep the collet from rotating withing the spindle. Hopefully others will pipe up with verification or counter arguments. If not, seek out either elsewhere. A search on Practical Machinist | LARGEST MANUFACTURING TECHNOLOGY COMMUNITY ON THE WEB would probably yield authoritative advice.

Default Re: 12Z manual R8 keyway fell out?

Its just a set screw. Take the end cap of the spindle off, and you can adjust it. Or better yet, take it out or leave it out, if you ever spin a drill chuck or face mill in the spindle with the key in, it gets stuck. And the key doesnt hold it from spinning, its the taper, so you are better off not to have it in. I take it out from all of my machines, I spent an hour getting out a drill chuck that was stuck once, not much fun at all.

Or if you want to fix it, should take less than 2 minutes to get to it.