.018 backlash??? What's wrong? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .018 backlash??? What's wrong?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bryan,
    stack your two bearings and place them on two supports so inside cones float. Then take an indicator and set it to zero on the top of the top inner. Next move the inner cones toward the indicator without lifting the outer races from supports and read how much you get from the bearings on the indicator. Lastly fab a new spacer out of shim stock that is slightly thicker than your indicator reading. I would consider adding .003" and then test it under tension and see if the races feel right. If you need a greater distance on spacer then make it out of tube.

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was going to suggest shim stock as well. But I would call IHCNC and see if they can just mail you a few of the spacers they use. I bet they wouldn't charge you much if anything for them. They have been pretty good at supplying me with parts in the past when I have damaged my machine doing things I shouldn't have.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Screw Jack : anti-backlash

@sdfoiler. I know you're working on CNC machining. However I found an excellent video on anti-backlash for screw jacks by the company Nook. You cou;d probably ask them to do a CNC video on anti-back lash.

Nook Anti-backlash video

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Post 16 is the correct reply.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Got mine from Fastenal. Bought 5/8 i.d. x 1" o.d. in .001 and .0015 thickness' and 7/8" i.d. x 1 3/8" o.d. in the same thickness'. I even ended up shimming the new bearings I installed.

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Brace should be only one (inner or outer) ring of bearings.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

McMaster has a number of shim washers. McMaster P/N 91437A717 is a 15.2mm ID 20mm OD 0.015" thick. About a buck a pop so not too bad, especially since you may one or two on the X and Z axis. If you already have the shim stock you can create the center hole by sandwiching shimstock between a piece of wood and ~3/16" polycarbonate, pilot drilling to 0.250", and then plunged with a 3/8", 1/2", and then 5/8" endmill. I think drilled a stack of 2 or 3 at a time. Then use layout fluid, scribe the OD and cut with snips. Then sand/deburr. Need to be super careful, as the edges are super sharp.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Found these at MSCDirect with free overnight shipping:

MSC Item Detail

MSC Item Detail

Bearings are a little more expensive, but I could overnight them free, so it still wasn't too bad. Hopefully I can get things put back together this weekend when I have some time and see if it solves my problems.

Thanks again gang!
    Bryan

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The best bearings in the world will forget when you install it.Good luck and forth.Yancho

Downloads
    Uploads

sdfoiler, pm sent.

If you dont mind me asking, what did it take to fix your backlash, and how good an improvement did you get?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12