Mach3 DRO moving... but not the motor...

Thread: Mach3 DRO moving... but not the motor...

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Mach3 DRO moving... but not the motor...

So I ran into an issue.... It seems when the motors stall mach seems to keep going even though the axis is not moving the commanded distance.
    Like trying to move the Y-axis when the X-axis it all the way to one side or (I assume) when the z axis motor gets hot and stalls... My z axis hums a bit.

Shouldn't it error/fault out when things don't go well?

Richard

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Stalls??

Quote Originally Posted by DarkStarMedia View Post
    So I ran into an issue.... It seems when the motors stall mach seems to keep going even though the axis is not moving the commanded distance.
    Like trying to move the Y-axis when the X-axis it all the way to one side or (I assume) when the z axis motor gets hot and stalls... My z axis hums a bit.

Shouldn't it error/fault out when things don't go well?

Richard
    Not if you are using steppers and no encoders.

Downloads
    Uploads

Full servo setup... pretty sure it was an early IH kit...

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

Mach does not close the servo loop, it is closed externally by the drive, the Mach DRO is the Anticipated position, not the actual.
    However the drive should fault out on encoder/following error.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Mach does not close the servo loop, it is closed externally by the drive, the Mach DRO is the Anticipated position, not the actual.
    However the drive should fault out on encoder/following error.
    Al.
    So... the geckos provide a fault signal if thins are not well... I will have to investigate the setup. I Got the mill second hand so I am still getting things fixed and setup on it.

Richard

Downloads
    Uploads

yes the geckos should provide a fault signal when the encoder falls behind the commanded position. make sure your err/res pin is not shorted out. i forget if its supposed to be grounded or connected to positive to short it out and reset it. if your mach screen is still counting and your motors are stopped chances are good someone shorted out the err/res on the geckos to allow the control to keep moving. this really should go to a reset switch and also should send a signal to the control that there is a fault. this is all documented in the gecko manual.

Downloads
    Uploads

<sigh>

Well... time for some pic fest... Every one of the fault lines on the geckos (G320's I think) is shorted...

I am going to try to identify each board and find documentation so I can figure out where I should wire the fault lines to...

Feel free to shout out if you recognize something.... or have any Idea what the LEDs are on the front... I assume they are status lights for the drives but I have no idea what goes to what or what any of them mean.

This is the back of the board that has the LEDs

Richard

EDT: and to top it off.. my Zaxis ball screw is popping up and down and binding... that is was was causing the zaxis motor to act funny.