Build Thread jet's CNC kit installation - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: jet's CNC kit installation

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is no gettin around the advantages of the VFD. It is great to call a speed that is within your gear set and do what ya gotta do without any hastles, other than the initial set-up of course but then that is not really that big of deal either.

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Started setting up VFD on the 10K today and I gotta say, it's pretty damn cool even on a manual lathe.

Some friends from the local hackerspace came over and helped me put the column back on the base, so now we're here....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jet's CNC kit installation-mill-column-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Every weekend a bit more progress...

Got the head and the motor back on today. I took the cnczone collective advice and opened up the head to look for gunk. There was a mess of grit it in the head and most of it was magnetic. The gearshafts and gears had stuff stuck to them, the inside of the head was coated, etc. I cleaned it out as best I could with compressed air as my power washer died about 5 minutes into the cleaning. After that I put the most powerful rare earth magnet I could find in my shop in the back corner, I figure as stuff moves around in the oil it'll have a chance of being collected by the magnet.

My VFD stuff is all in a box because stupid me forgot I have to make a part on the mill to fix my lathe before I can use the lathe to turn down the motor shaft for the new motor....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That stuff inside the box is the iron fine from machining that I've been harping about for so long.........Don't forget the inside of the quill too, as it could have some. The best way to eliminate it is to dissassemble and wash with a solvent like kerosene to break the bond that holds the particulates to everything, then repack any exposed bearings and reassemble. Better safe than sorry, I did a half ass cleanup too, and I paid with a full ass payment..................

Don
    IH v-3 early model owner

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I put the VFD on it I plan on stripping it down and doing it right. I needed to get it back together so I can cut a few pieces to fix my lathe and set up the VFD, I don't feel safe operating it like this for much longer.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Phone call with Tommy a couple of weeks ago and two follow up emails, but still no sign of the end stop blocks or carriers, or my Mach3 license. Grrrrrrr.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Slow going on the build, as I work outside on the deck during sunny days and haven't had many rain days to spend on the mill.

But I'm wiring everything up now, and I'm wondering where I should put my CNC enclosure and my case for my full-sized PC. I'm thinking on the wall *behind* the mill, I have about 12" of clearance so it'd be easy to bolt some plywood to the wall and make a little shelf for both of the cases and put a clear plastic shield over all of it.

Thoughts?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

CNC enclosure? You mean your electronics cabinet? I hung mine off of the base on the left side of the mill. My computer is behind the mill for now, but looking in that box, there ain't nothing there that can't fit in to something smaller. Don't use the floppy, cd drive or dvd drive. I just carry a flash drive and require a usb port only. It could easily fit in my cabinet, or in a special built box holding the monitor. The latter is what I want to do with mine. One thing I might recommend is a flexible keyboard. That will go a long way to keeping chips out from in between and under the keys. Them chips go every where.

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have a chip tray on mine yet, so I'm nervous about putting anything under the mill. Maybe I should just suck it up and make a tray...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Without a chip tray tells me there's no coolant either. No worries, those chips just vacuum off. Keep the door closed and cover it with some shop rags and it'll be good. Mounting it close keeps the cabling short which is good.

I used to have a problem with way lube oil running off the machine base onto the cabinet. Kept a red rag on it to soak that up. It was due to a missing one way valve in my way oiler. Fixed now, but even that wasn't a real problem for the cabinet. I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Using mist coolant, not flood, and haven't been bothering with a drip tray during manual operations. Now I'm wondering if should just to make it easier to clean things up.

At the rate I'm going, I'll need to build a new studio just to have enough room...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

about 1/3 of the way through the wiring as of this morning. I bought a controller/enclosure from Bob Campbell and have had to tweak it a bit to make room for the mongo IHCNC power supply.

It's a really nice looking kit/controller and I feel pretty good about how they've integrated everything from EPO to coolant and VFD and use CPC jacks on the case.

We'll see what happens when it's under power...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

For anyone playing the home game, the Campbell Designs enclosure comes with part of the power supply that IH provides (assuming you get it :-). Once I figured that out I realized I just need some fuses to go between the IH power supply and the Geckos and that I'd wasted a good two hours wiring up a board that I'm about to dyke out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After a bit of distraction building a lasercutter (based on Lasersaur's alpha design) I'm back to wiring up the CNC box:

CNC case | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

And not. In early December I took a nasty fall and spent two weeks recovering in the hospital. I'm able to walk/talk again, but I still need to pass some "are you allowed to drive / operate power tools" tests before I do much more than clean the house and catch up on old novels...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Forgot to follow-up, I was able to work as of March but had to play it safe with potential head injuries -- no running, biking, working under cars, etc.

I'm starting to sell off parts I don't need on ebay, starting with a relatively decent power feed for the x axis:

Workhorse AL-200S Power Feed for milling machines | eBay

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default progress...

where are u on your conversion? mechanical or electrical?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mostly finishing the electrical and the oiler. The mill and controller are all wired, I just need to connect them to the PC and start testing.

I'm also holding out on the VFD kit so I can put on my shiny new 3hp motor as part of the upgrade.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: jet's CNC kit installation

Nothing gets in the way of a CNC upgrade at home like all the free CNC time in the world at someone else's shop. :-)

Finally working on this again, I want a 4th axis and it looks like I'll have to do it myself. This week I've started the final wiring. My controller box is almost finished, I've got a dedicated PC set up to boot in both Windows (for Mach3) and LinuxCNC, and it really is time to just plug everything together.

One thing I'm missing is a shield for the Z belt. It looks like I can just heat/bend some polycarb, but one of the pulleys sticks out past the side of the enclosure. Should I just cut slots in the polycarb and press on?

Edit: Charter Oak still sells a CNC kit so I emailed them asking for advice, will post their answer here.

Last edited by jetflatline; 10-10-2015 at 06:21 PM.

Default Re: jet's CNC kit installation

Quote Originally Posted by jetflatline View Post
    - Is the one-shot oiler conversion worth it or is it just a nice feature for shops running 24/7?
    The one shot? NO! Get an automatic oiler. It might be not be a huge deal if you are doing only a few long travel short duration job parts, but in my opinion a cast iron dovetail way machine can damage itself rather quickly if it doesn't get adequate oil. I am a believer in over oiling rather than under oiling. Also, install oil metering devices. This assures that every point gets the same amount of oil every time it cycles. I very well how all the little things can add up, but lubrication is one area you just can't skimp on in my opinion. I won't have another CNC mill that doesn't have an automatic oiler. Save that one shot for a manual mill. Your oil system just isn't that big a part of the cost of your machine, and in my opinion its critical to its longevity.

Sorry it that's already been covered, but it stuck out so much to me I just had comment right away. Now back to the rest of the thread.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast