Shars and Glacern vises the same?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shars and Glacern vises the same??

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TClarke View Post
    Even if they came from the same source (which I'm sure they don't), based on what I've seen with my own eyes, that would mean that shars gets the factory rejects, hence the lower price.
    It has nothing to do with names, it has to do with hard evidence. I've seen both vises. They're not the same.
    Hi TClarke, this is Joey from Shars Tool. I just want to clear some air here: 1st) My new SV440 or SV690 or SPV615 or SDV620 vise are made in Taiwan 2nd) My vise are NOT factory rejects (I am shocked that one can make such comment without any hard evidences). 3rd) the spec on the high end vise in question are 100% accurate and each vise come with a inspection sheet showing the measurement on parallelism and other key dimension 4th) I do not know if my SV440 or SV690 or SPV615 or SDV620 vise are made by the same factory as Glacern's vise, but I am confident that my vise would not disappoint anyone if you put my vise against Glacern's vise. 5th) I have been selling these vises, quite a few of them in a short period of time, to machine shops that put them on Haas or Fadal or other CNC mill and so far I have not hear anyone calling me with an issue on quality.

Just because I sell my vise lower in price does not translate to lower quality, I do so just because I am just a competitive person in nature and there are a lot of machine shops and IH needs a high quality vise with a reasonable price.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Davo J View Post
    Shar's spammed another forum not long ago when there advertising didn't go through quick enough. They showed this beautiful picture of a 4" vise then under that they pictured the 6" vise. The castings on the 6" were crap and the jaw key was crook and every one let them know what they thought. that tread has since been taken down.
    I have not heard a bad word about Glacern, with there product or there service.
    Dave
    Hi Dave,

This is Joey from Shars Tool. Thanks for bringing this up about the vise key and casting, I have already addressed this two issues with the vendor and on my next shipment of vises, which arrives in May, this problems will go away. Thanks for letting me know about it and I will always try to improve my tool's quality if I hear someone is not satisfied.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by SharsTool View Post
    I have been selling these vises, quite a few of them in a short period of time, to machine shops that put them on Haas or Fadal or other CNC mill and so far I have not hear anyone calling me with an issue on quality.
    Not true. Read the archives, people complain about your products frequently, and it's no exception with your new vises.

I've gotten the short end of the stick enough times dealing with you. You say you stand behind your product, but you never actually own up and correct the mistakes. As machinists, it costs us time and money, and empty apologies don't fix that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TClarke View Post
    Not true. Read the archives, people complain about your products frequently, and it's no exception with your new vises.
    Hi TClarke,

the vise we are talking about here is my new SV, SPV, & SDV vise, not the vise that is made in China and with a lower price. This new series of vise is a new product for me, and I just started selling them since March of this year. Please tell me where you have seen people complaining about the new. If there is a problem, then I will try to fix it with every resource I have.

Downloads
    Uploads

TClarke

Have you even brought anything from Shars Tool, If so we would like to see the photos of what you have

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    TClarke
    I have both so I know what you are saying is incorrect, & I have also the kurt 3600 vices as well that is the reason I put the photo of the 3600 its half the price of what we payed for the Kurt 3600
    Since you're asking TClarke for pictures, how about showing us a picture of your Glacern and Shars vises side by side, Mactec?

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Downloads
    Uploads

BobWarfield

If you want to pay for the shipping from our Indiana shop to the Tennessee shop so the 2 can be together for the photo shoot, the pleasure would be all mine,You would have to pay the return shipping as well, the weight of these vices is around 67lbs plus packaging & for a added bonus, I will add a Kurt of the same style as well

Last edited by mactec54; 04-18-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

No need whatsoever, Mactec. Take a picture of each.

Cheers,

BW

Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    No need whatsoever, Mactec. Take a picture of each.

Cheers,

BW
    Hi folks,
    I don't have either of these vises yet; I am shopping for a "quality" 4" right now.
    Here is my comment copied from Hoss's G0704 thread:

Shars has a bunch of closeup photos of their SV440 on their website.($195)
    Check them out yourself:
    http://www.shars.com/products/view/8...Vise_00004quot
    If they chose the best example for the photo shoot, I'd rather pay the $30 extra and get a Glacern GSV-440. (On sale for $224.95)
    It looks like the same casting, but the milling and finish is lacking.
    See attached photo:

Unfortunately, Glacern has only one photo of the GSV-440 so it's hard to tell, but the fit and finish looks better to me. Anyone would have to see actual delivered product from the 2 sources to know for sure.
    Also, using them would tell the truth, whether the paint is nice or not.
    Shars' tolerances may be right on for all I know.
    I personally find the badly milled corner on the photo I have included to be scary.

Since Shars' representatives are watching this thread, I apologize for using your photo without permission. It is your photo however and you do have it on your public pages for all to see.
    Randolph

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shars and Glacern vises the same??-shars-sv440-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Randolph

We were talking about a different vise the one in this photo

I think that is a old photo of the one you have put up, I agree that is really bad & he should change the photos for the new vises he has

I would never buy any vise with a key that holds the back jaw in place not even a Kurt, Once you have used the vise style in the photo you would never go to any other style. A little more money but worth every cent

I just added another of the same style vise that is on one of my Haas machines this is a Kurt vise, that had to be replaced 3 times by Kurt manufacturing before they got it right

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shars and Glacern vises the same??-haas-vice-jpg   Shars and Glacern vises the same??-202-0995a-jpg  
    Last edited by mactec54; 05-04-2010 at 09:04 AM.
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    I just added another of the same style vise that is on one of my Haas machines this is a Kurt vise, that had to be replaced 3 times by Kurt manufacturing before they got it right

Now you're saying that Shars makes higher quality vises than Kurt? I've never heard anyone complain about one of those higher end Kurt vises, other than the hefty price tag. You're the first, so perhaps you could enlighten us as to why that vise had to be replaced 3 times? Who'd you buy it from?

Also, why would you bother posting a picture of a Kurt vise on what is supposedly your machine, and then just grab a picture of the Shars vise (which you supposedly own) off the Shars website?

You really are full of it, buddy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Davenco

Why the photo of my machine with a Kurt Vise, If you read the other posts I said that I had these Kurt Vises

I have 8 of the those Kurt vices on machines I have, I even have that same model vise on a Bridgeport Knee mill, So eat your heart out, Davenco

I can't show you the photo of the Shars Vice as it is on a machine doing a customer job, if the customer saw the photos on here of his work that would not be good, as soon as it is done, I will take it off the machine just for you, then I can take a photo of the Shars Vise I have

The photo of the Shars Vise was the one we were talking about in this post not the cheap vise Randolph was showing, thats what the photo was for Davenco

You can contact Kurt If you want, this is the second time I have returned one of there Vises for quality problems, (the contact name at Kurt I Have) When you pay over $600 for a Vise like this, There spec should be 100% not about 60% correct

If you read other post on the Zone you will see other people had some problems with Kurt vise quality, I'm sure Kurt has addressed there quality problem by now, or they would not be able to compete with Shars or Glacern with this vise

That is why when we saw the Shars & Glacern Vises we just had to have them & try them out so far both are as good as the Kurt & half the price, Only time will tell

So Davenco you have egg on your face, the only one full of it is you

Even when I show one of my own machines, you still don't believe me

Last edited by mactec54; 05-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.
    Mactec54

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shars and Glacern vises the same??

I have 3 D688 Kurt vises and a 6 inch kurt vise all in the price range of about $500.00. The D688 vise thread bends because of two conditions, 1. the screw is in compression, and 2. the larger length of screw for gripping wider parts. No more Kurt vises.

Kurt makes a vise with the screw is in tension for about $1000.00, good product.

The Quad -1 vise, not manufactured any more after searching for this vise, in my estimation is about the best design ever for a 6" vise. Glacern and Shars have similar designs with the screw in tension. I don't know about the quality of the Glacern or the Shars, that is for your criteria.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Shars and Glacern vises the same??

[QUOTE=ksanalytical;761858Has anyone noticed that Shars.com has started selling eerily similar vises to Glacern?[/QUOTE]
    You are not the first to point that out. Somebody got his 5 minute of fame last year when his GLACERN vise came with a poorly painted black over SHARS blue, and he posted pictures on another forum.

You will also find that Glacern is pretty cagey about country of origin of everything except their new Eagle Modular vise (built in the US).

My take: why buy Glacern when I can buy a Kurt D688 for the same price, which is built in the US. Of course, if you want/need a CNC style, the Kurt 3600V at $800 is significantly more... but if you wait a couple weeks, a Enco 20% or 25% off sale will go a long way to erasing the difference.

Tim
    Tormach 1100-3 mill, Grizzly G0709 lathe, PM935 mill, SolidWorks, HSMWorks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12