Profile in Intercon Lathe

Thread: Profile in Intercon Lathe

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Profile in Intercon Lathe

Hi, I am new to Intercon lathe. It is CNC11 ver 3.16. How do I start a profile? At the moment what ever I seem to do, the Z starting distance gets closer to the chuck, becoming minus, hence cuting material on the X positioning movement. I know it says "do not do a move in Z until the second line", but no mater what I do, it is still doing it. Thanks, Colin

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Profile in Intercon Lathe

It is hard to say without seeing your program, but here are a few basics.

Assuming you are doing a Diameter Turning profile (and not an End Facing profile), your start point in the Profile header needs to be both clear of the raw stock OD, and clear of the free end. For example, if the free end of your part is going to be at Z0, then your starting point needs to be at a positive Z. If you plan to use tool nose radius compensation, then you should allow at least enough positive Z clearance for twice the tool nose radius. E.g. if your tool nose radius is 0.031", your starting Z should be at least Z+0.062". I usually just use Z+0.100 unless time and space are critical.

From that starting point, try putting in a series of lines that do this:
    1) Move only X- to a point at least one tool nose radius beyond the X dimension where you want the cutter to first meet the face.
    2) Move only Z-, to meet the face (i.e. move from the Z starting position to Z0).
    3) Move X and/or Z as needed to follow the remainder of your profile, going always Z-, and generally X+.

If that still does not work for you, post a copy of your program (.LTH file); a Report so people can see your tool description (vector and nose radius); and perhaps a screen shot of the F8/Graph screen, zoomed in on the part that does not seem right.