When will "acorn" release?

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When will "acorn" release?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default When will "acorn" release?

Is there any news about centroids "acorn" board. Features? Specs.??

Acorn Has Been released!!
    On August 11th Mill Acorn CNC controller Kits Started Shipping from Centroid's Howard, PA headquarters!
    for more information (specs, videos etc) and to order your Acorn CNC Control kit visit the Acorn web page here.

<<< Lathe Update...I am happy to announce that Acorn Lathe has been released 10-20-17 and is in stock ready for shipment. buy yours here...
    Acorn CNC controller, Step and Direction 4 axis CNC Control board with ethernet communication.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by cnckeith; 10-20-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When will "acorn" release?

the Acorn board is real and running on a test bed machine and a few are bench testing at Centroid HQ, also two have been sent out to Beta site testers that are just getting going with their installations. the acorn board is a 4 axis step and direction output cnc control board with its own dedicated motion control cpu, it communicates to a PC thru an ethernet cable and runs Centroid CNC software (the same software that is used on Centroid's M400 and T400 CNC controls) and is available in Lathe or Mill. The Acorn board will output a smooth step and direction output of up to 400khz! and can run stepping motors and AC brushless servo motors and drives. The Acorn board also has connections for spindle motor VFD control, encoder input, and 8 inputs and 8 outputs and is compatible with automatic tool measurement and probing devices. the price target will be under $400 for both the hardware and the software and release is set for spring of 2017.

Last edited by cnckeith; 08-22-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Acorn has now run a wide variety of axis motors and drives! Clearpath, Gecko, Estun, Yaskawa...and now we are looking for a few more beta site testers.. if you have the time to work on a Acorn CNC install start to finish and have a good application we'd like to hear from you. send me a PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the spindle output analog? Are the 8 i/o expandable?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dbunyip View Post
    Is the spindle output analog? Are the 8 i/o expandable?
    12 bit analog out 0-10vdc for vfd or DC spindle control is standard.

8 in 8 out. For the I/o. 8 inputs are optically isolated, 2 outs are relay out the other six are open collector. This first version of acorn is not expandable in the IP department. Certain Io can be Daisy chained freeing up inputs for probing, lube pump and other custom uses.

Release date has been set for April 5th. We are on beta test trials currently and getting great feedback and response. The new touch screen operator interface is getting praise from our beta testers.

I will post final specs here in two weeks and you will be able to pre order at that point.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a minute since I've looked at it but that's not enough to run a tool changer correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a minute since I've looked at it but that's not enough to run a tool changer correct?
    Depends on The atc. If the atc is axis motor driven like many ATC turrets on lathes then no problem.. or if it is a rack mount atc on a router no problem for acorn CNC controller.
    If you are looking at controlling a swing arm or umbrella ATC we suggest the oak board with its standard 16 in and 9 out. And expandable all the way up to 273 in and 272 out.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm definitely interested. Before I seen this I was looking at the oak board but trying to figure a way to run step/direction drives with it. I have a lathe with 12 tool turret I'm working on

Will there be support for threading on lathes ?

Downloads
    Uploads

oscilloman, hello. Yep on threading for lathes.

I really cant wait to get my hands on one of these! I have a rebuilt cnc lathe running a pokeys controller, gecko stepper drivers, Schneider VFD for the spindel and all operated via mach4. Its works good, but threading is really sloppy. I think the Acorn will become really popular, because it is made by a company that have been in the industry for several years, and they know what works!

Good job Centroid!

Downloads
    Uploads

MillNUT asks....."Will the Acorn fully support Intercon, DXF, DP4/TT-1, and Rigid tapping options for the Centroid software?

Also, regarding the Centroid software, do you have to install Intercon or can you POST from InventorHSM with the Centroid software as it is shipped with the board?"

MillNut, Hello. Yes on intercon, dxf, dp4,tt-1 and rtap. acorn cnc software is the same cnc software we run on our Engine Shop CNC machine tools and high end retrofits, just modified for DIY use. Intercon is included with the acorn software. You can use Intercon Or any Cad/cam system to program parts with the Acorn board. The Acron cnc software uses standard Gcodes. Most cad/cam systems already have a Centroid post. if not, it is easy to create a Centroid compatible post. Create a part program with Intercon and then look at the g code that Intercon creates. The Intercon generated Gcode gives you the proper format. Then edit the cad/cam post to make G code which matches the Intercon example and you are good to go. I'll be able to post more detailed info on Acorn very soon.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm definitely interested. Before I seen this I was looking at the oak board but trying to figure a way to run step/direction drives with it. I have a lathe with 12 tool turret I'm working on
    What does your lathe currently have for axis motors?
    What kind of motor is on the turret? Small 3 phase motor?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    What does your lathe currently have for axis motors?
    What kind of motor is on the turret? Small 3 phase motor?
    It currently has fanuc servos but was thinking to change to clearpath. I have not looked into what powers the turret yet. I have the spindle out getting rebuilt was waiting on that to get into it further

Hey Keith, do you have any updates on the Acorn board?

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by oscilloman View Post
    Hey Keith, do you have any updates on the Acorn board?

Thanks
    Yeah.. during beta testing we decided to develop a CNC configuration Wizard to complement the Centroid CNC software for use with the new Acorn cnc controller. The new wizard allows a new user to configure machine inputs and outputs with just a few clicks along with easy axis and spindle setups. We have also been developing "canned" drive configurations and schematics for a variety of popular axis drives such as clearpath,gecko,leadshine,DMM, yaskawa,estun,and others. Its added a few weeks to the release date but we feel acorn users will appreciate the new ease of getting up and running fast.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnckeith View Post
    Yeah.. during beta testing we decided to develop a CNC configuration Wizard to complement the Centroid CNC software for use with the new Acorn cnc controller. The new wizard allows a new user to configure machine inputs and outputs with just a few clicks along with easy axis and spindle setups. We have also been developing "canned" drive configurations and schematics for a variety of popular axis drives such as clearpath,gecko,leadshine,DMM, yaskawa,estun,and others. Its added a few weeks to the release date but we feel acorn users will appreciate the new ease of getting up and running fast.
    Its worth the wait guys....
    Marty

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Its worth the wait guys....
    Marty
    Hello Marty; do you have one already? If so, how 'bout a comment or 2.

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Hello Marty; do you have one already? If so, how 'bout a comment or 2.
    Hey Dickeybird.
    I'm assisting with the beta testing. I can't say anymore than that. A few more weeks...Just hang on....☺

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast