When will "acorn" release? - Page 4

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: When will "acorn" release?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When will "acorn" release?

It sure does and that makes the set up so easy. You fill out information or check a check box. So simple, even i can do it!....

Beevo

Beevo - Arizona
    Metal Deformationist

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoecken View Post
    Beevo, does the basic software have that Wizard? If so that would be great.
    Hello. Yes the Acorn setup Wizard is included with all Centroid CNC12 software levels.
    here are the screen shots from the wizard, simple drop down selection boxes, radio buttons or fill in the blank to configure the machine and Acorn cnc system.
    the wizard remembers your currents settings so you can always go back and run it again without having to reset everything, change only what you need for quick easy configuration of the cnc control.

When will "acorn" release?-acorn-wizard-tab-1-png

When will "acorn" release?-acorn-wizard-tab-2-png

When will "acorn" release?-acorn-wizard-tab-3-png

When will "acorn" release?-acorn-wizard-tab-4-png

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When will "acorn" release?-acorn-wizard-tab-1-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

I figured you would conjure up some shots.

Beevo

Beevo - Arizona
    Metal Deformationist

Downloads
    Uploads

Scott,
    The Acorn looks great and I love the software interface. Question, when you run the gcode is there an option to have it display the tool path as it cuts out the given item, like you find on many packages. I saw you can look at the projected tool path by pressing one button, just curious if there is a screen that shows the tool path being cut in real time.

Russ

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMAN172 View Post
    Scott,
    The Acorn looks great and I love the software interface. Question, when you run the gcode is there an option to have it display the tool path as it cuts out the given item, like you find on many packages. I saw you can look at the projected tool path by pressing one button, just curious if there is a screen that shows the tool path being cut in real time.

Russ
    That's a question I have as well Russ. Surely it does but I'm sure one of those grizzled experts will be along soon to put us straight

Milton in Tennessee ya'll!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    That's a question I have as well Russ. Surely it does but I'm sure one of those grizzled experts will be along soon to put us straight
    Yes, it's called "Run Time" graphics. Press F4 -Run and then F10 RTG On/Off and it will display as you are cutting. You can also set parameter 150 = 1 and it always be on when a job is running

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ajaxscott View Post
    Yes, it's called "Run Time" graphics. Press F4 -Run and then F10 RTG On/Off and it will display as you are cutting. You can also set parameter 150 = 1 and it always be on when a job is running
    Thank you, O grizzled one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Folks,

I wanted to post my results in converting my Precision Matthews PM-727 manual mill to a CNC machine using the Acorn board. I built a simple electronics cabinet to house the Acorn board and power supplies. The schematics hook-up published by Centroid for the Teknic drives went without a hitch. I used Misumi low profile 15mm ball screws which allowed me to squeeze the ball nut inside the tables with clearance.

After backlash calibration, I measure less than a thousanth of error over 300mm of travel when using the DRO that came with the mill). Very Nice.

CNC Specs:
    Drives: Teknic Servo Drive (SKHP Type)
    Power Supply: Dual Teknic IPC-5
    Ball Screws: Misumi C5 BSS1505 Low Profile (5mm Lead)
    Fixed Mounts: Misumi C5
    PC: HP All-in-One (Core i3) Touch Screen

Photos and Videos Posted here:
    https://goo.gl/photos/EddCrajE9wguNNAy7

Feel free to PM me if you have a similar mill and want to convert it.

Enjoy,
    Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When will "acorn" release?-img_20170728_213936-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is something else I did when doing the conversion: automatic tool setting!

Here are a couple of tool set gauges I made to take advantage of the probe input that the Acorn has available.
    The first one is made from a piece of left over polyurethane from some casting I did, yes it looks just like a throw away plastic tumbler.
    I bored a hole through it and pressed a stub or metal rod (aluminum) with a lead wire attached. I elected to use RCA plugs as they will pull out of the socket they are plugged into if you catch the cord on something or inadvertently turn on the spindle. Ask me how I have verified this in fact works...

The second one is a modified Fowler electronic tool set gauge. I wired in a switch and RCA socket. The switch allows the setting tool to be used normally if desired.

Beevo

Beevo - Arizona
    Metal Deformationist

Downloads
    Uploads

Woo Hoo! The Big Brown Truck delivered mine this morning. I feel all squirrelly inside!

Downloads
    Uploads

Acorn CNC Controller quick start video page is here. Acorn Quick Start Video page.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this acorn board compatible with a pendant? I use one a lot and would miss not having one.

Downloads
    Uploads

The Acorn CNC controller is plug and play compatible with a USB keypad pendant such as the Xkeys pad seen below. Centroid provides free of charge the CNC xkeys macros and graphic file so anyone can transform a Xkeys pad into a CNC operator pendant in a few minutes.
    here is a link to the xkeys macro download. USB Keypad Operator Control Panel for Centroid CNC - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum
    When will "acorn" release?-xkeys_mill-jpg

Centroid will also soon announce USB MPG compatibility for Acorn as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnckeith View Post
    The Acorn CNC controller is plug and play compatible with a USB keypad pendant such as the Xkeys pad seen below. Centroid provides free of charge the CNC xkeys macros and graphic file so anyone can transform a Xkeys pad into a CNC operator pendant in a few minutes.
    here is a link to the xkeys macro download. USB Keypad Operator Control Panel for Centroid CNC - Centroid Community CNC Support Forum
    When will "acorn" release?-xkeys_mill-jpg

Centroid will also soon announce USB MPG compatibility for Acorn as well.
    I'm currently using the vistacnc pendant P1A-S is it going to be compatible with that one. I see they have several plug ins available for it on the vista site. I'm wondering if one of those is usable. I did send an email to their tech supporrt asking this question but no response yet.

Tom

Downloads
    Uploads

not sure.. but we can look into it.. rick just hooked up an xbox controller and is using it

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by cnckeith View Post
    not sure.. but we can look into it.. rick just hooked up an xbox controller and is using it

Thanks for looking into this cnckeith. I'm currently using Mach 3 on a Novakon torus pro and have been wanting to upgrade for a while. I was going to go with path pilot but someone recently told me about the Acorn. He is running a centroid control (one of the more expensive versions). It works well for him so I'm considering giving it a try. On my machine Mach 3 does some bizarre things some times. It handicaps me while learning cnc to use it. I sometimes have to figure out if the errors are machine or operator errors. It has done some things that were clearly Mach 3 related so its time for a change.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Guys;
    I also am waiting for a pendant solution. I currently am running my pro with mach and using a vista ps2 pendant that is almost a necessity after a couple years of use.. I tried some of the non-encoder models out there but just didn't like the use of buttons to move the axis. If an acorn system that is compatible with the Vista unit is made available, I'll most definitely strap one of these systems on my pro.
    Thanks for all the information guys.
    Bill\

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Downloads
    Uploads

Below is a summary of the various ways to control the Axis Jogging and various other machine tool functions with the new Centroid Acorn CNC control system.

Currently there are four main ways for an operator to control machine tool function with the Acorn CNC controller.

1.) Use the included Touch Screen active Victual Control Panel (VCP). The VCP is a richly featured "soft" Operators Control Panel with is included at no charge with the Acorn CNC12 software. Simply touch the LCD screen to press anyone of the machine customizable Operator Control Panel Buttons to control any machine tool. This is the most popular way for an operator to control a machine too with the Acorn CNC controller.

2.) Use the VCP with a regular non-touch screen LCD. The VCP can also be used with a mouse if a non touch screen is being used (using the mouse to press a button works with a touch screen as well) simply click on the button you want to use and it works. Jogging, spindle control, tool check..etc.. it all works with the mouse.

3.) PC keyboard machine tool control. Any regular old PC keyboard can be used to control a wide variety of machine tool functions. For instance the operator can simply press the arrow keys on the PC keyboard to control machine tool movement of the X and Y axis and the page up and down buttons are the Z axis etc.. Fast, Slow, Incremental and Continuous mode etc..etc.see a legend of PC keyboard shortcuts used for Centroid Keyboard jogging, click here.

4.) Use a keyboard emulator device such as the robust Xkeys pad or a Game controller that can emulate keyboard strokes and combinations (like seen in Ricks video above). For large format machines it is convenient for the operator to employ a Operator Control Pendant to control the machine tool as its nice to be able to take the pendant to the location of the work when setting up tools and part zero positions. Centroid has developed macros for the Xkeys pad and the keypad art work and it is freely available to download below.

Controlling Machine Tool Functions: Centroid CNC controls have a "keyboard jogging” feature built into the Centroid CNC11 and CNC12 software. This allows a regular PC keyboard to be able to control axis jogging and other machine tool functions. So while its nice to have the Centroid CNC operators panel (part # 11077) for Allin1DC and Oak board based CNC systems, whether its mounted in the Pendant (M39 style) or in the Console (M400 style) or Panel mount, for those Acorn CNC DIY'er that are on a budget you can use a plain old PC keyboard to control axis Jogging and other machine functions. The “keyboard jogging” feature is much more than just machine tool axis jogging as you can also control Spindle ON/OFF, FWD Reverse, speed UP/DN, Coolant control for Flood and Mist, Feedrate Override, Cycle Cancel, Tool Check, Feed Hold, Cycle Start, and a bunch of other machine tool functions which you can customize using the nine available auxiliary keys! While using a PC keyboard for machine control is nice and inexpensive a better alternative and more convenient option is to use a dedicated USB Keypad like the Xkeys pad. Found here on amazon.

5.) and Coming soon....A Plug and Play USB wireless MPG is in the works.

Here is a video Marty made showing the various ways for the operator to interface with a machine tool using the Acorn CNC control.

Last edited by cnckeith; 09-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.

What are the shipping arrangements and costs for Europe?

Downloads
    Uploads

Folks,

Just wanted to pass along some useful information. I was having a problem keeping dimensional accuracy on some hole profiles. Keith pointed me to a host of tech bulletins on Centroid's website.

Check it out: CENTROID CNC controls,CNC Controller, CNC Retrofits,CNC Milling Machines,CNC Lathes,CNC Routers,5 Axis CNC Cylinder Head Porting Machines,CNC Rotary Tables,Fanuc Retrofits,Digitizing Probes,Conversational Programming

I followed bulletins TB1, TB36, and TB37 to calibrate backlash and turns ratio properly using the Acorn.

What a treasure trove of information and great support from Centroid. Keep up the good work Keith.

See attachments before and after calibration. The engraving is the before. The hole profiles are after. I measure less than 0.5 thousandths error after calibration. Sweet.

Enjoy,
    Mike

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When will "acorn" release?-20170916_235506-jpg   When will "acorn" release?-20170917_201507-jpg  

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast