Need Help! Manufacturing a 300 X 250 2mm thick aluminum lid...

Thread: Manufacturing a 300 X 250 2mm thick aluminum lid...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manufacturing a 300 X 250 2mm thick aluminum lid...

Hello every one, I am new to this forum and need some help on Manufacturing a 2mm thick aluminum (6061 T6) lid..

Below are the images of how the part looks like.

Manufacturing a 300 X 250 2mm thick aluminum lid...-capture1-jpgManufacturing a 300 X 250 2mm thick aluminum lid...-capture-jpg

My first option on manufacturing the above part is through stamping/ drawing process by using a 2mm thick alu 6061 T6 sheet.. Since I have seen Aluminum trays/ pans used in medical & baking industries are made through drawing/ stamping sheets..

But my concern is whether the part can be manufactured through stamping/ drawing process by maintaining the inner radii as 1mm and 5 degree draft on side walls?..

My second option is die casting the part. I feel it might warp badly due to the cross section being so thin with out any supporting ribs... (I need the top & bottom face really flat & the part will be anodized)..

Another option is machining the part on a 6mm thick Alu 6061 T6 sheet, provided the manufacturing cost is less than the above two process... Since it is low volume production ( 100 - 150 pieces/ year)..

Experts please throw some light on the above options... And please do suggest if there are any other cost effective process which can be considered to produce the part....

Thanks in advance.....

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Manufacturing a 300 X 250 2mm thick aluminum lid...

It looks like a simple cut-out. If it can be made from sheet, I'd say send it out for laser cutting.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the corners I'm going with a CNC gut part from the 6mm stock. Those corners will get bad wrinkles. You can try forming it in a vise and see what happens. If you do use 50xx series aluminum. 6061 will crack.

for 100 a year I'd hog them all out on the CNC with a vacuum and toggle clamp hold down jig.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    It looks like a simple cut-out. If it can be made from sheet, I'd say send it out for laser cutting.
    But how do I manage to get the smooth bends on the corners?...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Looking at the corners I'm going with a CNC gut part from the 6mm stock. Those corners will get bad wrinkles. You can try forming it in a vise and see what happens. If you do use 50xx series aluminum. 6061 will crack.

for 100 a year I'd hog them all out on the CNC with a vacuum and toggle clamp hold down jig.
    Thank you warrenb..

How about die casting?.. Keeping the cost aside do you think the part can be produced with out any warpage on it?...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi.

My oppinion is the same 6mm 6061 with vac fixture. For the smooth edges use a corner rounder and you are home.