Aluminum or Magnesium Scrap - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aluminum or Magnesium Scrap

vwdevotee

Quote Originally Posted by Rekd View Post
    BTW, if the tranny tails are off a VW, it's magnese..

'Rekd
    Not always. Original (very old) transmissions and engine blocks from VW were an aluminum/magnesium alloy. Later air cooled models (around 1970 comes to mind) they started hasing out the magnesium. One needs to be really careful though because automakers are starting to reintroduce magnesium to reduce weight and vibration/noise in certain parts.

This was one of the few posts which held my attention straight to the end!
    Well done!

Eric

Downloads
    Uploads

Given all the interesting talk on burning metal powder some may be interested in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite especially some of the links to videos/pictures towards the bottom.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by foamcutter View Post
    Okay Guys,
    Is there a good way to tell the difference in Aluminum or Magnesium scrap? I think I have aluminum but I'm not totally sure. I bought some transmission tails and valve covers the scrap place said were aluminum. I just would like to know if there is an easy way for me to tell the difference. Thanks for the help Ron
    Yes there is a very good and safe way to tell the difference between Aluminum and Magnesium. Place a small drop of Duzall Flux on the piece in question. If the remains clear it is Aluminum. If the drop turns jet black it is magnesium. Duzall is liquid flux used for soft soldering. It can be obtained from most welding supply houses. Duzall is a trade name of the Esab Co.
    This stuff is not expensive comes in a small plastic bottle and is acid based, so be carefull with it. Handle it with the respect that any acid needs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123