Slurry for investment casting

Thread: Slurry for investment casting

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Slurry for investment casting

Hi all,

I have been reading lots of stuff on the internet and have even made a few phone
    calls to casting supply companies that cater to investment casting supplies for
    industry.

What I am looking for is an affordable solution for an investment slurry and
    reinforcement (white silica sand?) so that I can experiment with casting aluminum and
    bronze at home. Some have suggested plaster of Paris, Portland cement, and
    masonry mortar but I haven't found anyone who is willing to say what actually
    works. I plan to cast wax patterns in rubber molds, invest them, do a high
    temperature burn-out with a pottery kiln, and then cast while still hot.

Any of you folks have experience with this? Maybe shoot me in the right
    direction for more info? Thanks.

Randy

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would give the Shidoni Foundry, just north of Santa Fe, NM a call. I was there once on a Saturday and got to seem them pour several hundred pounds of bronze, way cool!

Shidoni*-*Home Page

They use a lost wax process and coat the wax with investment material. As much as I can remember they dipped the wax in a liquid then dip the coated wax in a fluidized bed of investment silica material. When that was dry they would go back do it again and again to build up the thickness to the desired level. Then it went to a huge burnout oven to melt out the wax and harden the mold.

At the time they had open house on Saturday with a pour in the afternoon. You could walk around the shop, talk to the tecks and artists. Then stand 10' from several hundred pounds of bronze being poured into various projects. We were so close, if lade had broken our feet would have been in serious hurt.

If you find out the nature of the materials please post.

Craig

Downloads
    Uploads

I do only green sand but plaste of paris, portland cement and morter and silica sand are about as cheep as is possible. why not just get some and try it?

In the words of the Toolman--If you didn't make it yourself, it's not really yours!
    Remember- done beats perfect every time!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default I don't want to discourage you or anything

But casting high-temperature metals can be quite dangerous, especially if you don't really know what you're doing. I'd strongly urge you to find someone who does know how to do this, and get some hands-on instruction. There's a lot to this besides knowing what "slurry" to use, and small-seeming mistakes can be fatal, to you as well as your projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy2 View Post
    Hi all,

I have been reading lots of stuff on the internet and have even made a few phone
    calls to casting supply companies that cater to investment casting supplies for
    industry.

What I am looking for is an affordable solution for an investment slurry and
    reinforcement (white silica sand?) so that I can experiment with casting aluminum and
    bronze at home. Some have suggested plaster of Paris, Portland cement, and
    masonry mortar but I haven't found anyone who is willing to say what actually
    works.

[They probably don't want to have to feel responsible for what happens to you when you try this at home...]

I plan to cast wax patterns in rubber molds, invest them, do a high
    temperature burn-out with a pottery kiln, and then cast while still hot.

[Except for the very most delicate patterns, it's not really necessary to cast while the molds are hot.]

Any of you folks have experience with this? Maybe shoot me in the right
    direction for more info? Thanks.

Randy
    [Where are you? Maybe there's an art college or foundry nearby where you can take a class.]

Andrew Werby
    United Artworks- Sculpture, Jewelry, Furniture,and other Art Objects, plus Art Resources, Techniques of Sculpture, Jewelry and Lapidary, an Online Bookstore, and a Custom Art Referral Network

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

HERE's some good info on using plaster based products for metal casting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Find a hobby shop that caters to people who do silversmithing for a hobby. Lost wax casting is used for jewelry making.

The slurry is a clay material which can be baked to harden it, almost like low temperature ceramic firing. But as Andrew says there is a bit more to it than dipping your wax pattern in a puddle of clay and cooking it in the oven. Follow his suggestion and find a night school course or a local club.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

The French used to cast bronze bells using cow manure. I really don't recommend it though.LOL

Dick Z

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Not straight; it was mixed with clay.

I think that is also the daub in wattle and daub as used for the walls of houses many eons ago.

An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Geof, That process must still be used today in castings for bull horns. The type the idiot protesters in Wisconsin are using spout nothing but bulls**t.LOL

Dick Z

DZASTR

Downloads
    Uploads

Try looking for a dental supplier in your area, gold crowns are cast using investment plaster, with a lost wax process.

David
    ( never stop learning )
    http://www.steamcastings.co.uk/

Downloads
    Uploads

i have used a mix of plaster of paris and fine white sand to cast aluminum. Straight plaster has a lot of moisture and will blow up.

add as little plaster to the sand. just enough to bind it together.

bake to drive off any water. I've also used a microwave oven.

my molds were split, so i don't know how it works with wax.

do some exsperimenting. just make sure there is no moisture in the mold.

Default Re: Slurry for investment casting

you can use plaster of paris. that will work well and it has a number of advantages compared to ceramic shell casting. first, you can make the mold much faster as it does not require several dips and dry cycles. second, the materials are cheaper and need much less professional tools although the final plaster mold will be heavier than a ceramic shell mold. you can add playground sand to strengthen the mold and alos make it cheaper. if you still need any more information just dont hesitate asking me. I have made hundreds of bronse sculptures with investment casting method.