Several DIY casting questions... Lost Wax & Aluminum? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Several DIY casting questions... Lost Wax & Aluminum?

Downloads
    Uploads

Gene try in the "RFQ" section...There may be someone local to you who would be willing/able to make your parts? Are they mazak? It looks like a job for Brass to me!

Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 27 Olds Parts

Kipper,

The original parts were pot metal with nickel plating. Over the years the tight fit parts have frozen and when there is an attempt to free them up they give way.

I will try RFQ to see if there is any interest. Brass, zinc, aluminum will probably work. Needs to be something that I can have plated and maybe do a little machine work on if necessary. These parts won't get a lot of stress or use. Restored '27 Olds are pretty much for show. I tried a company that did stainless steel, but the quality was very poor.

Thanks for the advice.
    Gene

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wow lots of ideas and replies....link to mold material

Didn't read all the replies.....I have experience in mold making and casting bronze.

This company: www polytek.com....sorry couldn't get hot link to occur...anyway I have used them....they have all sorts of mold making conncoction,,,and a great catalog....they are in PA.

I would recomment making a rubber....silicon or cheaper polyuretheen mold from your original wax....

Silicon is so pliable.....it can do the odd shapes and undercuts....then you can make duplicates of the original and save what work you have done.

I do "ceramic shell" for the casting mold......this is a slurry of colodial silica in layers over the wax......

The ceramic shell is a bit more difficult....you will have to "sprue" and make "air vents" for the wax.....then make the ceramic shell.

then "burn out"......So you need a kiln and furnace....but aluminum melts much lower temp than aluminum....

You might consider checking out local colleges and universities....art schools....some of them have metal casting facilities.

Anyway, check out Polytek....they have a great catalog. That will get you started.

Idea....with the size of your item.....you can make a wax "tree" and cast several or more of them at the same time.

leland

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's tough to spincast some of those parts because of the size and mass. You need large, thick molds to spincast the big stuff and you run into problems with distortion and excess heat.

You could cast in bronze and then plate them, especially if you only need a few copies. Contact a sculptural foundry, that'd be a decent way to go. (doubt it'll be cheap however)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Duplicating wax patterns

If you can get a two-piece, plaster mold made of your master pattern, you can duplicate the wax pattern fairly easily. soak the plaster mold in water, and then pour molten wax into the mold to fill it up. The wax will harden from the outside in, and when it reaches the thickness that you want the shell to be, pour out the remaining wax. If you make a mistake, or ruin the part getting the mold off, you can just remelt the wax and start over. You really should use a dark sculpture wax that you can probably find by searching the internet for sculpture supply dealers- they will also sell the ceramic slurry material that you need to coat the wax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12