How to use Flux in aluminum melts

Thread: How to use Flux in aluminum melts

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to use Flux in aluminum melts

Just bought some flux (only 70 cents a pound) to try in an aluminum melt. When and how do you add the flux? I tried just adding some to a melt after it was melted. Seemed to work great. I then tried adding some to the crucible before the aluminum melted. It seemed to work great.

When and how is the correct way to add flux?

This stuff seems to work. All the dross was just powder I skimmed off the top. The dross was powdery with a few small beads within the powder.

I also bought some degassing tablets for aluminum. I've read about how to add the degassing tablets, but I assume you add after you flux and remove the dross. Is this correct?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Just found the info to my questions else where on the net.
    1) Add flux to crucible before melting.
    2) Remove dross
    3) Add more flux to melt and stir.
    4) Remove dross
    5) Add degas to bottom of melt with tool.
    6) Pour

Downloads
    Uploads

Strangely my fluxing instructions state to apply after the melt has started...to seal the surface to prevent/reduce gas take-up......Degassing takes place immediately before the pour.

Where did the instructions you found originate?

Keith

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, I didn't pay any attension to the web site. I was just surfing around, found the info I needed and exited out. It made sense to me, because I get good results adding before the melt and after the melt. Both ways ended up with a powdery dross. I plan on adding both before and after. The flux is dirt cheap.

Even though I haven't used the degas tablets, the flux "seems" to help with the gassing. Maybe it was something else, but the ingots I made when using the flux had very little gassing pits. The other ingots had a lot of gas pits. I could watch the ingots directly after the pour and see the gas pits appear on the surface.

Downloads
    Uploads

Do you have any info on the flux. Like, what is the composition or where you bought it? Sounds like it works better than just light salt.

I add it just as the metal gets started melting and I try to keep a fuel rich flame on the burner to keep down the O2.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The flux is #770 by Asbury Fluxmaster Products. I don't really have any other information on the product. The local supplier just scooped up 10 pounds of flux out of a big barrel and handled it to me in a plastic bag.

Looks like Asbury is out of Ontario Canada, phone (905)826-2244.

Downloads
    Uploads

Budget casting sells it for $33 a quart. That sounds a lot higher than you paid. I would suggest you go to Budget casting supply web site and get the MSDS for the flux. It sounds like it could be harmful if not used properly. Most of all keep it out of your eyes, and wash up after using it.
    It's basically the lite salt (NaCl & KCl), Arm & Hammer washing soda (Sodium Carbonate)NaCO3, and Sodium Fluorosilicate (this must be the harmful part)Na2SiF4, it's used for water fluoridation.
    It's an Alkali and can cause burns like Lye but not a strong.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by paprjam View Post
    Budget casting sells it for $33 a quart. That sounds a lot higher than you paid. I would suggest you go to Budget casting supply web site and get the MSDS for the flux. It sounds like it could be harmful if not used properly. Most of all keep it out of your eyes, and wash up after using it.
    It's basically the lite salt (NaCl & KCl), Arm & Hammer washing soda (Sodium Carbonate)NaCO3, and Sodium Fluorosilicate (this must be the harmful part)Na2SiF4, it's used for water fluoridation.
    It's an Alkali and can cause burns like Lye but not a strong.
    I find just about everything to do with casting is dangerous stuff! Navac25 explodes nicely when thrown in the local pond...

Keith