Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

No need to worry about the application.

A PPG (Powered paraglider) is first of all a glider which does not need any engine if it gets lift from thermals or one jumps from a mountain, However when you do it from a plain, you appreciate an auxilliary propeller engine which helps you to go upwards. Once up you can stop the engine and glide till you reach back to the soil or you can restart when you are getting low. Mostly they use 2 stroke engines as they are much lighter for the same power but also very unreliable. I am working hard to get my 4 stroke powerfull and light enough to be an alternative.

for the gear system, I will recheck if there can be some backlash in it when the grinding wheel pushes. Actually the 2 cams are connected one to the other at their shafts after having used the gears for indexing.

Given your expertise in the matter, would you mind to comment on the result of a typical grind on the enclosed curves ?
    green and dark blue are the master intake and exhaust lobes respectively.

Till now we never managed to exactly the same lobes but mostly the difference is just after lift of in the elbow of the curve.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx-390-cam-comparison-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, you haven't lived till you've tried to build a CNC profile grinder.
    Couple of things to think about. The contact point of the wheel on the profile is not always on the wheel centerline. It moves up and down on the wheel so you have to comp for the wheel dia. and calculate where the contact point will be. The in and out motion of the wheel will not be the same as the profile measured with a point gauge. A mechanical (rocker & follower) design comps for this automatically but on a cnc you've got to do the math while your profiling.
    Because of this and to generate a smooth profile you need very fast responding servos, very low friction axis, a very fast cnc controller, and super high resolutions.
    You'll want 250,000 counts/rev or better on the rotary axis to get a smooth profile. Since no one makes an encoder that is actually accurate at this resolution level you also need to map out the encoder errors and comp for it on the fly.
    This is why these machines are sooo much more expensive than a conventional cnc.
    Bob

You can always spot the pioneers -- They're the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking at the LIFT curve doesn't tell you anything about the quality and/or dynamics of a cam profile.

Looking at the VELOCITY curve (first derivative of lift) tells you IF you have an error in the profile.

Looking at the ACCELERATION curve (second derivative of lift, first of velocity) tells you how bad it is.

Looking at the JERK curve (third derivative of lift....) tells/shows you haw badly/rapidly you'' be applying the acceleration forces to the V/T - this has an affect on how fast the system will detiorate under any "jack hammer" loads that can occur.

It is the acceleration forces generated by the cam that excites and applies force to the valvetrain and these are what you need to concern yourself with.

Your curves are very classic curves, however there is clearly some visible ripple (aka error) that exists in various places. This ripple, depending on how bad it is at the 3rd derivative, will have more of an effect on your valvetrain than you can imagine.

This simple ripple could be the result of as much as 0.001" backlash in a gear drive cam spindle or it could be wheel balance or prior profile error or machine slop or on and on and on.

YOU WANT 1:1 motion ratio with NO BACKLASH POTENTIAL ANYWHERE when you grind a cam. You can either do all kinds of things to correct for the vibration after its ground into place or, better still, DON"T LET IT GET THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

BTW: we've seen and ground cams that have NO visible chatter/fluctuations in the cam profile and these were found to create havoc in the system during operation. I simply would not accept nor ship a profile that had clearly visible deviations in the lift curve as bad as you have - surely, the ripple/deviations in the 2nd and 3rd derivatives would be far, FAR worse. Your lift curve can't/won't tell you anything about the dynamics potential of the cam profiles you're working with.

When you strive for cam grinding perfection, you'd be amazed at how easy it is to grind really GOOD cams. The hard part REALLY is getting rid of the slop/deviation creations in your grinder. Once you do that, things almost take care of themself.

How do you do that? First get a GOOD, precise sensitive cam measuring machine. Letting Excel or some other software do curve fits to choppy input data is like putting bondo on a rusted out fender - it looks good but the underlying metal is not sound and of essentially poor quality. The whole job will eventually suffer when this "band aid" peels off which it eventually will.

Once you see/find that you have errors, you then systematically go about identifying the root cause(s) and fixing them. Along the way, you'll learn even more about grinding cams than is taught in ANY textbook I've ever stufied on the subject.

I thought I knew a LOT about cams - I did until I started running my cam grinder. Then I learned that the high school educated grinder operator who showed me how to run the machine was clearly far smarter than I - especially in the non-published vagaries of cam grinding. I learned that the classic admontion about instructors was true = namely, those who KNOW, do it, those who think they know teach and/or write about it....

You're to be commended for doing what you've done - real creative stuff. You simple need some advancement and/or "clean up" and some tune ups to your proces. It is a way to an end, it only lacks sophistication and the necessary preciseness and perhaps a bit of dynamic clarification.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

NC Cams,

Thanks a lot for the instructive information you provide to me.
    below I have enclosed 3 different camshafts, 2 curves each

first and second are
    Original from Honda Velocity & Acceleration
    Original from Honda Velocity & Jerk

third and fourth are
    Master tuning cam Velocity & Acceleration
    Master tuning cam Velocity & Jerk

fifth and sixth are
    copy of tuning cam Velocity & Acceleration
    copy of tuning cam Velocity & Jerk

Pls. note that Master and copy tuning cam are the same as on previous pdf. doc.

Are the curves clear enough so that you can make some comments or should I show the information in a way which is more convenient ?
    If yes, pls. advise how you would like to see them.

Thanks in advance

Paraprop

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx390-orig-honda-1-pdf   Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx390-orig-honda-2-pdf   Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx390-master-1-pdf   Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx390-master-2-pdf  

Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx390-copy-1-pdf   Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill-gx390-copy-2-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

All the profiles have randomly located issues in them. The velocity curves are visibly rough and choppy and the jerk curves are more than choppy enough to make you seasick. We'd simply NOT ship/do something this rough.

The issues could be grinding related or they could be the result of deficiencies in the measuring proces. I'd be remisss to criticise either or since I've not measured the cams on my equipment - hence, I can't speak for the veracity of the mesturements or the dynamic predictions that would evolve from your mesaurements and/or equipment. If they are, in fact properly done and correct, I've seen and made much better.

I can say the we'd simply not grind or ship cams with the velocity deviations that are evident in the ramp and other areas of the master and copied cams. Our stuff tends to be MUCH smoother and continuous.

These issues could be the result of backlash in a gear driven system or runout or tooling deficiencies or any number of other little or substantial things - I can't tell from here but there are clearly "issues" that we'd not accept or tolerate.

We've ground cams using a supplied part as a master. Do we simply trace it as I suspect was done here? NO. We read the cam and then do selective fixing and/or smoothing. Is this effective? Our first "daytona" cams were just such copies. The client reported that our "copycat" cams made more power than the originals.

When you copy something, it is very hard to NOT copy and or to expound upon deficiencies that may previously exist in the part. If you first remove these deficiences,you can turn an adequate part into agood one. Sometimes, it is actually better to design something from scratch as there may be too many issues involved or it is simply too hard to fix what's wrong.

I don't know enough about your power requirements ("I want more" is not enough info) or the specifics of your valvetrain and/or engine. You may be looking for something from an engine in an RPM range that it was NOT specifically designed to operate.

Example. A 12000 +/-500 rpm peaky bike engine may NOT have the best power curve when you really want/need a broad, flat torquier curve that offers more grunt over the 6000 to 10000 rpm band.

Looking at a simple lift curve won't tell you how to address those needs. You may be in need of a totally different tuning strategy (shorter cams, wider or narrower lobe centers, whatever). At that point, a "custom" as opposed to a copied race bike cam may much better suit your needs.

We offer custom cam design, manufacturing and design services. We'd be happy to quote these services as needed to tailor your engine's power curve more appropriatedly to your needs.

These services could include inspecting sample cams and making specific recommendations based upon a TOTAL review of your valvetrain (springs, weights, etc) and desired operating needs. Feel free to contact me via PM for a quote for our services.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Paraprop View Post
    I am presently upgrading my mill to 4 axis.

On the spindle head (Z axis), I am going to add a diamond wheel grinder.

Right now I am not too sure how to scan an existing cam profile (from an engine intake/exhaust camshaft) into the system.

I am using a 2500 CPR encoder on the A Axis. so I would like to take a measurement for up to each of the 10000 steps in a 360 degrees rotation by a linear encoder head putting out a signal onto the encoder input of the DeskCNC controller card (same as used as feedback for the lathe spindle application). The output of this linear encoder (I still have to purchase it) has a resolution in the 0.001mm range. Then I would like to graph the resulting cam profile, eventually modify it and then produce a G code file to grind another camshaft lobe based on it. The grind is done just by rotating tha A axis and moving the grinding wheel on the Z axis. No need to move the X axis for it.

Is it actually possible to do so ? I could not find any hint on the docs. Available on the web. If yes, is there somewhere a similar application I could use for reference ?
    Until now I can only find samples of scans done with the touch probe connected to the Lim input but I am afraid this method is not as accurate as if I go for the linear encoder even though I already got 2 sets of the IMservice touch probe. Also in the literature nothing hints about using the touch probe for parts rotating on the A axis.

Attachment 41427

Thanks in advance for nay hint.

Paraprop

Daniel
    Hi

speak to this guy at http://www.sportdevices.com/
    they had some cam-profiling device that enable scan camshafts , i couldn't find a direct link to the page .

cheers

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Given that the first cam of the 3 is a Honda production cam, I should be reassured that part of the results shown should come from the lack of accuracy of my measurement method right ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Perhaps.

IT could be technique, lack of proper preparation or even a bogus part although the Japanese stuff I've measured is darn near jewelry in quality.

It is not easy to read cams. You don't just throw them in the machine, spin it around and wah'lah, get the data.

It took us WEEKS of experimentation with known good/pre-read cams to find the proper way to read a cam. We also spent a lot of time eliminatng deficiencies in our equipment and yes, even the software.

Unless you have a known good baseline cam to use as a yardstick/reference, you can't really know if you can or should trust your measurements

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

WHat are the tolerance of the profileshape on a normal cam?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default fix typos scattered all over the post

There is no such thing as generic tolerances for the profile shape of a "normal" cam.

They vary from profile to profie, engine to engine and manufacturer to manufacturer. Some engines are more sensitive to others with regard to lift deviations and others are more sensitive to abnormal changes in the velocity, acceleration and/or jerk rates.

You could have a BIG lift difference but a small acceleration and/or jerk deviation and the engine won't know the difference. Yet, with the opposite condition, you'll tear stuff up.

We supply the velocity plots to our payiing clients ONLY and ONLY when the client specifically requires it in a certified cam data chart - it is included in the quoted price of a/the cam cam analysis service and this is not necessarilly inexpensive.

Analysis price goes up if/when the cam has "issues" and we have to figure out if it is a reading problem or a manufacturing problem or simply a bad design - after all, you're paying for "right data" and a bad analysis does no one any good.

We do not offer such technical info outside that which we supply when we analyze a clients cam on a contract basis. Very few if ANY of the commercial cam grinders even supply velocity or acceleration data as standard or even optional fare to their clients - no matter what you pay for the cam.

We don't supply it to our NASCAR clients unless they are a VERY good customer and need it for problem solving purposes. in short, you ain't gonna get free cam tolerance specs on a M/B. No cam maker in their right mind gives this data out.

Why do you think that Audie, Andrews and/or Cam Doctors were created???

Answer: because cam makers have ALWAYS been notoriously close mouthed about ANTHING that has to do with the shape, dynamics and/or tolerances of their profiles. Period. Paragraph.

Downloads
    Uploads

Paraprop I have been doing what you want to do for years. It is within the realm of your Deskcnc system with the 4th axis and TP100 probe. Basically you will center the cam under the spindle and then locate a starting point on the cam . Next locate the depth of the base circle and set to Zero. Then rotate the Aaxis .025deg at a time while probing down with the spindle at each .025deg rotation. This will give you a point cloud of the cam lobe tied to a reference point on the camshaft. Next load up the points cloud in the Cad program to do the smoothing between points, THere will be a ton a points to deal with.

The grinder can be a simple wheel mounted stationary next to an x/y table that uses your Aaxis to rotate the cam for grinding while the y axis provides the interpolation to grind the profile.

Now everything HAS to be aligned with procession as far as the center of the probe to the centerline of the cam for probing and the center of the wheel to the center line of the cam for grinding. Being you are doing it straight line without a rocking arm it is fairly simple with no translation needed for the arm movement.

I would suggest you build a seperate grinder. DOn't use your mill to set up for grinding. The micro dust will eat your mill alive in no time.(;-)

Is it NASCAR perfect NOPE, will it do what you need? Absolutely Been doing it for years in small engines turning into the 10k range without problems.

We KNOW kart racing engines(;-)

(;-) TP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Vmax549,

Thanks a lot for these motivating news.

How do you fool the DeskCNC software to digitize out on the A axis ?

Are you using 3D mode ? (2D does not seem to work)

Do you switch the A to be the X axis and define Ymin and Ymax to be 0 ?

Then set Z "min" to be the base circle and Z max a bit more then the Max lift ?

Good comment about dust. Indeed it is not a problem to mount the grinder onto a dedicated ball screw setup.

Indeed my kart engines do not go much over 8000 RPM

Paraprop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The method proposed by VMAX549 will ONLY work if you are cutting a flat tappet cam with the bottom of a bottom cutting cutter. Reason: this is pretty much how a flat follower "sees" the profile.

However, if you have a roller cam or a finger follower cam, you won't even come close to duplicatiing the lift profile that you're intending to achieve. To cut the lobe you have to compensate for the fact that there is a geometry difference/offset that has to be accounted for between the cam and the radius'd follower. This is why a roller cam and a flat tappet cam of comparable durations are SO, SO much different in shape.

FWIW: we tried the 0.25 deg method and, yes it will cut/shape a cam. Yes, the engines will run BUT said cams tend to generate/impose a LOT of superfluous vibration into the valvetrain - so much that you can actually HEAR a difference in the how the system sounds while running.

The sound that the 0.25 deg "flats" (that's what you're effectively cutting) make resemble a "machine gun" to some extent. Imagine what that superfluous shaking does to a valve spring at high RPM.

NASCAR performance? To the go cart racer, their local race track win is as satisfying as any NASCAR win and, due to the $$$ consequences, a bit MORE highly valued.

This is why one of the top go cart cam grinders uses the exact same method to grind the go-cart cams he makes as he does for the high dollare V-8 cams he grinds for pro racers.

VMAX549's admonition to craft up a grinder is well said advice. The HSM pictured device should be scaleable to do what you want to do with relative ease.

Noticeable difference? If you do not consider an end of race drop off in race performance due to killed springs inconsequential, then there is no difference between a ground cam and a 1/4 deg cut cam. However, in our work with 5hp Briggs race engines, this sort of diminishment of performance and/or its affect of part durability was deemed unacceptable.

BTW if anyone saw the inspection traces of a 1/4 deg cut cam as opposed to the exact same profile generated with a ground cam, even a neophyte could readily see the difference between the two. It is very easy to choose/pick the smoother ground shape from the cut shape. When given the A vs B "blind taste test"' choice, absolutely NONE of our clients EVER chose the cut cam over the ground one when we offered them the choice 'tween the two.

The key phrase in VMAX549's post are, ".... do the smoothing between points, THere will be a ton a points to deal with...." It is easy to get/generate 1 deg lift data and have Excel graph out a smooth lift curve that SHOULD occure. It is HARD to turn that into a SMOOTHLY transitioning lift profile on a hard metal cam that does not drive the valvetrain into spasoidal fits of herky jerky motion.

ANY cam grinder learns that lesson after a while as pretty much all of them made model cams and/or masters using the interval flat cutting method over the years - most have simply gone away from it for reasons of quality, durability and speed. It has become easier and FASTER to CNC grind them when you have access to the "right" equipment.

BTW, We do it (make cams) day in and out for small, medium and large single and multi-cylinder engines that work in stock, race and prototype applications.

Downloads
    Uploads

Paraprop, I am using MACH3 cam software. It has a direct probing cycle G31.
    Deskcnc uses the bed of nails approach I believe. Ask DeskCNC for advice there. Or you can do it another way, that is to switch the Y axis to the Aaxis and reset the steps to get A rotation when the Y movement is called for. Then you need to calculate the circumference of the Max lobe radius from the centerline to be able to set the A axis envelope so it represents the circumference of the lobe. Not quiet as easy but can be done.

Another thing to consider is to probe a point between the two teeth on the cam gear that has the timing dot. Probe it using the Aaxis for rotation, set the center between the teeth to zero that will give you the reference point needed so the two lobes will be timed to the gear correctly. When you grind it, do the same thing again to set the zero point of rotation.

The smoothing of the points in the point clouds is neccesary to ensure there is not the railroad tie effect in the profile(;-) once smoothed the CAM Doctor(WITHIN reason) nor the engine could tell the difference .

Just For what it is worth (;-) TP

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

NC Cam,

Thanks. Indeed I will only grind simple flat tappet cams. I cannot cut it with a flat cutter because I have to weld up the original cam lobes with a Rc 62 TIG welding rod else the cam lobe would not last. (my apologies if I used the wrong unit as it is a year ago that I sourced these welding rods).
    I guess that using a properly aligned grinding wheel with a movement perpendicular to the cam axis should yeld the same result than a flat mill cutter.

Given that I can go yp to 10000 points per 360 degrees, I can theoretically achieve 0.036 deg. large " facets" around the lobe. That is about a 7 times finer finishing.

I do well understand your point about the quality of the end result and won't argue there. You had well highlighted the issues in the threads covering cam grinding. Nevertheless, those parts being manufactured in Thailand, they do cost very little in comparison to the U.S.

On the other hand getting a specialist in the U.S. to make me a special grind will set me back about 80 to 130 $ + shipping + 20% import duty + 7 % VAT + duty clearance agent fee. At the end, it is more than an entire new engine costs here. Quantities needed are limited too.

Paraprop

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Several coments:

Simply welding HARD metal onto a lobe is not necessarily adequate for cam profiles. Reason: you have to crank the engine under marginal lube and high loads to start them. The metals have to have high scuff resistance during this guaranteed period of marginal lube. The ONLY weld material that we've ever seen work on welded cam lobes is Wahl Colmonoy #5 or the next harder alloy - I think it is #56.

Single pass welds won't hack it due to weld diliution of parent metal. You need dual pass welds at a minimum. Proper post weld stress relieve is MANDATORY. Yes, the welded cams do work - but for how long. We've found that it is not an isssue of if the weld will spall but, rather, when. Low stress applications may be more tolerant - all our stuff is high stress. Sooner or later, ALL the welded stuff we've worked with starts to come apart or, worse yet, the cams break due to the welding affects on the parent metal.

For this reason, alternative methods involving steel billet cams were developed for restorative or custom prototype applications that offer better performance, all things considered.

WHether it be steel billet or welded OEM cams, ultimately, a proper post machining/welding heat treatment is absolutely essential/critical.

Yes, you can THEORETICALLY get 10000 points MATHEMATICALLY. However, your ACTUAL machine resolution probably will not/can not be that fine. You'll be lucky to hold 0.000010" and more likely 0.0001" at best.

Again, we've been thru this already with high buck servos and steppers as well. High resolution servo's will work if you run them slowly to keep follower error low.

We've YET to see steppers NOT yield step free finishes on cam profiles. Interestingly, we've also seen them leave 'steps' on OD ground journals. Steps that are visible to cam inspection measurements as well as the naked eye.

Comments re: so called "custom grinds": We are one of the very few cam grinders/designers who does NOT offer "cookie cutter grinds". All our grinds are SPECIFICALLY designed for the specific client using THEIR parts, their operating conditions and their valve train geometries. However, just like tailor made clothing, tailor made cam profiles are not inexpensive.

So called "special grinds" offered by name grinders are essentialy "off the shelf" generic grinds that are, at times 20 years old or even more. Depending on the legacy of the design and the design philosophy used at the time, they can be OK or perhaps superb or, sadly, parts breakers.

Frankly, we've had chances to inspect/measure some of these gems and found some to be quite lacking in sophistication and/or development. Some aren't much better than stock profiles. Some are works to be proud of. There is no way to figure out which is which by looking at catalog specs.

For your application, I'd be a bit weary of anybody's $130 "custom ground cam", especially a reground or welded one.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

We have been regrinding cams with Berco rocking table cam grinders since 1970. We began with automotive cams and moved into industrial camshafts. As cores became difficult to find we started manufacturing, and are now the leading manufacturer of new replacement cams, cam lobes, cam sections, and cam muffs for the industrial engine market. We started out using Cam Doctor but we've used an Adcole exclusively for about 13 years. We bought a new Landis 3L several years ago, and we have traded up since then. We now have two CNC cam grinders. Occasionally we have to manufacture a cam that is too big for our CNC grinder (for instance a cam for the Cooper GMV compressor - about 18" dia). We have been able to achieve good results using a CNC vertical mill.

Clay at Kams, Inc. - cam and cam follower manufacturing and regrinding for industrial engines.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cam grinding on CNC Mill

I still haven't come any further with my project except that in the meantime I bought a cam measuring setup from Performance trends.
    It is a great time saver for cam evaluation and also for comparison after I do finish my cams on the old self made duplicator.
    As soon as I have a moment, I will look deeper into the softwares data files and see if I can use the data to make the G code for the CNC cam grinding.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Grinding Cam profiles on a DeskCNC 4 axis mill

Try this one: G-CAM Web application to build CNC GCode to grind cams: https://sites.google.com/site/tsmeweb/resources

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12