Newbie WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!

Thread: WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!

Hello,

I'm an IT technician trying to upgrade a computer that is currently running a version of WinAMC (1.00.07.12b). The CNC router being used is a C.R. Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro and the controller is an AMC/D2/B1/E3.

The controller was made by NEE Controls LTD but they are no longer in business, so finding the software for this device is proving incredibly difficult.

I'm not very familiar with CNC software or machines so I apologize if this doesn't make much sense, but if anyone has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it!

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!-20151028_101007-jpg   WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!-20151028_101017-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!

I feel your pain. A few months ago I was exactly in your shoes.

You can connect a serial cable to the NEE controller and use any of several different available serial data transfer files. I myself was never able to get my hands on a copy of WinAMC.

Our workflow is something like this:
    1. Use CamBam to draw out the program.
    2. Generate toolpaths with CamBam
    3. CamBam generates a G Code file.
    4. Connect a laptop to the CNC via serial cable.
    5. Open serial transfer software.
    6. Send file.

If the serial settings are correct and the G Code is valid, the program will appear in the list of jobs on the keypad.

Some notes:
    1. The serial cable for our machine was plugged into the controller and run all the way to the near end of the table (the "home" end, not the "park" end). It was in the electrical box, we fished it through a hole in the bottom of the box and used a cheap USB to serial adapter which we bought on Amazon.
    2. The baud rate, parity, etc. were tough to get right. I found some of that info in the manual for the NEE controller.
    3. The specific software we used was CoolTerm, available here: Roger Meier's Freeware
    4. CamBam machining settings need to be set up right (or whatever CAM software is generating your G Code). If you read the NEE manual, it explains some specifics like the first line of the file being PNameOfProgram -- that will result in a new job called NameOfProgram with whatever GCode follows
    5. I customized our CamBam machining settings to include all our tools and offsets, making it easier to generate G Code files from our drawings. For example, the NEE controller uses very specific codes for drilling operations, so I had to program that myself instead of using CamBam's default codes. Again, I found limited information about those codes in the NEE manual.

Try to figure it out, but if you're still stuck I can find and give you:
    1. The serial connection settings. Baud, parity, etc.
    2. an example G Code file
    3. maybe our CamBam settings if you're going to be using that program

Once you get it up and running I have some questions I'd like to ask you. We have some issues with our machine and I'd be interested to see if you have similar issues. Namely:
    1. The controller sometimes powers off, then flickers for a while before coming back on
    2. Sometimes changing tools results in a "Tool Lock" error which seemingly is only fixed by shutting off the power and restarting
    3. The memory sometimes clears itself out

I'm in the process (or, I was, not sure if it will happen now) of writing a script for linux so that I can transfer files to the machine using a raspberry pi (i.e. I don't have to carry the laptop to the shop every time I want to transfer a program). I actually got it to work once but not in a way that was user-friendly enough for the normies. I ran the network cable though, so it would be nice to finish up that script and get the thing automated. I'm envisioning a process where the user can right click a g code file on their windows machine, choose "Send to CNC" and it will send the file via SSH to the always on raspberry pi. The pi will transfer it to the CNC over the USB to Serial adapter. I also considered storing all our files on the Pi and getting a keyboard and monitor for it so we can transfer files right from the Pi (useful if the machine clears its memory)

Good Luck!

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: WinAMC for C.R Onsrud 145G12 Panel Pro - Need controller software!

Hello everyone... I realize this thread is very old, but this is the only thing i have found on the entire www that is matches my problem. I have a 2004 Onsrud Panel Pro 5x16 with the AMC pendant and the NEE controller. I do not have the original computer that was connected to the machine, so I too need to set up a terminal and figure out how to talk to this ancient machine. Anyone with any clues as to where to find the correct terminal software and how to config the serial connection, baud rate, data bits, stop bits, and Parity: Flow Control, etc. I can’t find a copy of WinAMC anywhere. I was able to find a terminal called CoolTerm, but I still can’t figure out what all the config settings need to be to make it work. I may just need to know the serial connection settings; Baud, parity, etc, but I also need the Post Processor for the CAM software to generate the GCode specific for the machine configuration. Can someone please help?