canadian cnc plasma

Thread: canadian cnc plasma

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default canadian cnc plasma

Hi All

I'm new to cnc, bought a Dynatorch last spring and set it up in my garage. So far its just a hobby but would eventually like it to be a business. I use Corel 3x, sheetcam and DT programs, i'm looking at design2fab for future consideration making HVAC fittings, anything to pick up work.
    Took awhile to catch on to the programs, DT and sheetcam are pretty simple, corel is another story but slowly getting the hang of it also.
    So far i have just been doing metal art type things, and i made a sign for our house i'll post on here, not sure whats next, i have a few ideas for custom metal art, maybe a head ache rack or a gate or ???
    Great to see a place for Canadians on here..

EDD
    Winnipeg

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canadian cnc plasma-100_1301-jpg   canadian cnc plasma-100_1304-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nice looking work you got there, I see you are from winnipeg, I was born in Gimili

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is my address Sign...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canadian cnc plasma-im000306-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a pic of my Plasma table, I am currently using Mac3 and Lazycam for cutting... Would really like to find something better than Lazycam, anyone have any sujestions... Not lookig to break the bank..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canadian cnc plasma-0fbf_3-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wouldn't vcarve or cut 2d work for you, not too expensive. cambam is cheap and would do for a cam product. what cad program do you use? Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use corel draw, the only problem with corel is when you export your image as a dxf file , lazycam will not always open it! Looking for something with cutpaths , and kerk compansation... Lazycam is just not that good, very poor when it comes to leadins as well... Would like to get something that would do it all as well as being able to post the gcode.

Downloads
    Uploads

Smile plasma table

Hi Pure-Powder,
    Did you build the plasma table by yourself ? Beautiful machine !!.
    Do you use the 1000 hypertherm with machined torch? use THC system?

Mongkol

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi pure-power, try cut 2d its only $150.00 for your gcode and also alibre express is a free cad program . Their 2d drawing isnt the best but their suppose to be coming out with a new version which has better 2d drawing capabilities.I have corel draw as well but I prefer alibre. theres also inkscape and a few other free programs that can do 2d drawings and save as a dfx. Graham

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice sign!! are using 1/8 or 1/16 plate? i had only been cutting 1/16 so far,but ran out and decided to try 1/8 for the cowboys, huge difference in clean up for some reason... the little bit of slag that was there come off really easy compared to the 1/16... not sure why though.. Good looking table, and i envy you on the size of your shop... im set up in my 22x30 garage.. but it does the trick for now.
    Im using sheetcam, does everything i need.. cut paths, lead in/out options, kerf, etc. plus they have a yahoo group for any questions or help you need, not sure of the price, it came with my table but www.sheetcam.com has all the info. What are you running for a plasma cutter, i opted for the 1250 Hypertherm and so far it has performed perfect, using fine cut tips for this thinner material... Gimli eh? been through there a few times... are you still in MB? Pure-Powder sounds alittle B.C.ish though.
    Do you make your living with the table, so far mines a hobby as of yet, but would like to turn into a business eventually... at the moment in working in Mexico on my real job and just do the plasma thing when im home on break, kinda sucks as i would rather be cutting steel..

Regards
    EDD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile

Ewardo, I use a Hypertherm 1000 It has plenty of power for what I do... I only cut as a hobby. I do now live in BC, move away form the flat lands many years ago... here is a pic of my shop! This was taken last winter, no snow here yet!!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canadian cnc plasma-salvage-cars-024-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ed what post processor are you using in sheetcam.. What thc are you using... I am using hypertherm phc, was wondering what i would use as a post processor setup if I was to use Sheetcam...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use Dynatorch post processor, but sheetcam has a whole list of different PP including Dynatorch in there program that you can pick and choose from, wwwcncinformation.com is a guy named Ivan Irons,he has put together a bunch of different video's relating to cnc plasma,including sheetcam... you can also find him/them on youtube...sheetcam has its own tutorial, but i found watching the vids helped, i cant really compare sheetcam to anything else as its the only one i have used, but for a guy like me that runs diamond drills for a living, learning this program on the puter was relatively simple, but i did watch his video's half a dozen times before it really sank in. Any drawings i make or modify in corel, i export as .dxf into sheetcam, sheetcam spits them out as a .tap file, open .tap file in Dynatorch and it cuts the peice....once into Dynatorch it also can modify the file by sizing, rotating, nesting, etc... sheetcam also has a nesting feature and a bunch of other things that i cant think of at the moment, would be better if i were home and had it infront of me.

EDD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

forgot to mention... thc came built in with Dynatorch program. They also have a few tutorial videos on there web site www.dynatorch.com and youtube

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

catching a flight in a hour, but i just thought of something.... you can download a free trial from sheetcam and check all the post proccessors out, play around with the program, it will only write 150 lines of gcode though...
    but it will give you a idea of what its all about.

EDD

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Finally made it home, here's a couple pics of my table...

EDD

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails canadian cnc plasma-100_1427-jpg   canadian cnc plasma-100_1428-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

edwardo, nice looking table....

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is your table inside your garage, does it get super smoky when you cut!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Its in the attached garage, the red box under the table is a down draft air handler, i just bought some duct from home depot and use a old furnace fan to suck the smoke and fumes out, but want to convert to a water table asap as its not practical during winter, sucking the warm air out and the cold air coming in. Whenever i have alot to cut i have been spraying water ontop as im cutting,makes a huge difference not only with dust and fumes, but with warping...

EDD