New Here Where to buy DIY parts from inside Canada? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy DIY parts from inside Canada?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to buy DIY parts from inside Canada?

Oh wait, there's a Canadian clubhouse? How do I become a member?

Yep, with the Canadian dollar so low, it's hard on us.

I am using Bosch Rexroth made in Germany linear rails that I sourced from a guy locally at a good price for my build. If other Canadians want his contact info, send me a PM, I know he still has some size 20 he wants to sell.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Where to buy DIY parts from inside Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomD View Post
    The Canadian approach I am taking on a 4x8 is wood. I build all kinds of precision stuff out of ply, very high quality stuff, then I use epoxy to seal it against moisture uptake. I see these crazy builds where guys weld a base table, and attach 80/20 to that, and use that to mount their tracks. It's three tables. I'm going to hardware bond cold rolled stock, like CNC router parts sells, to the wood. I have this basic set-up on my trimaran, and it has been solid for 20 years, outdoors.

Another approach that might work is to build off granite surface plates. They turn up so cheap around here that the guy I bought my last one from bemoaned the fact that they only guy who had offered him a few hundred, on his starret piano sized reference plate wanted it for a woodstove. Too big for an 4x8, I could never move it, but maybe for my smaller table, I might start with a 2x6.

I'm pretty familiar with building accurate fixtures, but the whole CNC part has had me stumped for so long, so while I see no reason why these approaches won't work, I haven't tried them for lack of skill with the electronics. Personally I am sourcing all my stuff from Ebay, or the US, via a ship to the border company for the US stuff.
    Where are you getting surface plates for cheap in Canada? Where can you get anything machining related cheap in Canada??? I get everything out of the US. I have yet to find anything in Canada as cheap as I can get it online out of the States.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12