Canadian Can Cam CNC Routers--looking for opinions

Thread: Canadian Can Cam CNC Routers--looking for opinions

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Canadian Can Cam CNC Routers--looking for opinions

Hello. This is my first post after doing much reading here.

I am wondering if anyone has seen or used the Canadian Can Cam routers?
    They appear to be Chinese machines but upgraded to Canadian CSA specs.
    The prices seem OK (by Canadian standards).
    They have ads on Toronto Kijiji.

The Can Cam website seem a little shy on info on the spindle manufacturer etc.
    However, I have emailed the company and gotten prompt responses.

This is their website:

CNC Router | CNC Routers Canada | Desktop CNC Routers | CanCam | Up In Class, Down In Price

The machine I am looking at is this 4x4 one:
    B1 Series Light Duty CNC Routers | CNC Router | CNC Routers Canada | Desktop CNC Routers | CanCam
    B1-44M (Light Duty 4 by 4′ CNC Router) | CNC Router | CNC Routers Canada | Desktop CNC Routers | CanCam
    The company rep said the frame is steel, but the website say aluminum.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Redcedar

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Redcedar; 05-22-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Canadian Can Cam CNC Routers--looking for opinions

Most of the spindles are going to be like for like on lower end machines and even the cheapest are quite capable I paid £146 for a Chinese 2.2kw VFD Spindle water cooled combo and have had no problems whatsoever really pleased with the noise levels compared o air cooled where fans running at 24k can be annoying. Ask if they have any customers near you that you can contact, and try to take a look at one in action

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Louis_Cannell View Post
    Most of the spindles are going to be like for like on lower end machines and even the cheapest are quite capable I paid £146 for a Chinese 2.2kw VFD Spindle water cooled combo and have had no problems whatsoever really pleased with the noise levels compared o air cooled where fans running at 24k can be annoying. Ask if they have any customers near you that you can contact, and try to take a look at one in action
    Thank you, Louis.
    It's not the spindle that worries me too much.

I am more concerned with the general quality of the machines
    and if anyone has comments on the customer service.

Someone out there must have bought one and has an opinion.

Redcedar

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just purchased a CAN CAM Minitron D23M - 2'x3' with a water cooled spindle. I am very happy with how solid this machine is. I just got it on the weekend so just getting it going. I was actually on here trying to find some info on what to use as a reservoir and possibly a sealed unit with coolant like the PC coolers. If you are still looking at these guys shoot me a reply or PM, if I can do that??

I think they are great guys. I've called the guys at all hours and weekends. Tom actually was talking be through and issue, that I caused BTW, while he was tucking his kids into bed. I live in Hamilton and they are in Oshawa, so I drove out a couple of times. Once to see and once to pickup.

Cheers Peter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just curious, its been a while since this post, is your opinion the same now that you have used this machine for a while ?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Haven't used the machine a whole lot but I am still pretty impressed with it. The fit and finish aren't super high end but frankly it does not affect anything. It's still rock solid and customer support is fantastic. I just sent a list of questions on how to do a bunch of stuff and they got back to me quickly. I don't think you can beat it for the money. Especially if you are located in Canada, with the dollar the way it is.

Cheers Peter.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Peter
    I have been looking at the CAN CAM Minitron D23M - 2'x3'. I would like your honest opinion on your machine.

Thanks Brian

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nortonalta View Post
    Hi Peter
    I have been looking at the CAN CAM Minitron D23M - 2'x3'. I would like your honest opinion on your machine.

Thanks Brian
    Hey Brian - I really like this machine. As I said the only thing that is a negative is the fit and finish. It's hard to lubricate because the covers aren't easily removed and the grease fittings are cheap and actually popped out when I greased it. I purchased a larger sized fitting and I can grease them now, but I had to modify my grease gun to get at them. I have had absolutely no complaints about the workings of the machine. The controller works well and it still seems to be rock solid. There are a few modifications that I would like to make. Like cutting holes in the metal shroud to get at the grease fittings and ball screws for lubrication of the X axis. You have to switch out the grease fittings, but that is something that may have been replaced by CANCAM already. I know they went to an Air cooled spindle, which I do not really have an opinion regarding. I like the water cooled spindle but again I had to make a better system for the coolant. I made a plexiglass reservoir and it seems to work well. Again just something you want to do because a reservoir was not supplied and the pump was just a tile saw pump. I had a plastic container first,which seemed a little Mickey Mouse.

Here is a pic of my setup - Canadian Can Cam CNC Routers--looking for opinions-img_3728-jpg

The dust boot isn't that great and again may be something I would modify to make moving it a little better. It does seem to work OK - well, as I have an MDF spoilboard and surface it every once in a while and takes the dust away well but leaves chips. I just recently added a compressed air nozzle to blow chips and dust out of pockets, which works really well. Here is a pic of that.
    Canadian Can Cam CNC Routers--looking for opinions-img_4617-jpg

I cut tiny slots in guitar fret boards and the machine works really well for that, so again no complaints about the machine itself. I looked at other machines which were comparable and they were about $2k more, so even if the fit and finish was much better the savings was well worth it. I always struggle with depth of cut for both tiny bits and longer bits. The travel of the Z doesn't seem to get low enough for the small bits and then also not high enough with the long depth of cut bits, but again I do not think other machines are better in that respect.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards Peter.