Updating tool path for a changed hole location

Thread: Updating tool path for a changed hole location

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Updating tool path for a changed hole location

Hello Folks,

In Camworks it is relatively easy to update a change to an "Open Profile" for example. You simply "edit definition" for that feature then update the tool path. It is not so easy to update a change to a hole location. There is no "edit definition" for a hole on the features side of Camworks. The other day I did something that provided a relatively easy way to update the tool path for a hole location that was changed in the model but I can't remember what I did. Any suggestions how to quickly update the tool path for hole that's been moved would be appreciated.

Harvdog

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Updating tool path for a changed hole location

Quote Originally Posted by Harvdog42 View Post

There is no "edit definition" for a hole on the features side of Camworks. The other day I did something that provided a relatively easy way to update the tool path for a hole location that was changed in the model but I can't remember what I did. Any suggestions how to quickly update the tool path for hole that's been moved would be appreciated.
    Is the hole defined by the hole wizard, or is it an extrude cut?

Did the AFR detect the hole or did you define the hole? Did you change the diameter of the hole or just the location?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I often extrude cut holes and counterbores. For me it's slightly easier than using the hole wizard. But that's not to say I can't use the hole wizard if it provides an easier way to update a the tool path. I usually define the holes instead of using the AFR. Sometimes I change the diameter but the issue seems to arise when I change the hole location.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did this test today to make sure it worked for me:

1.) Made a part with a circular extrude cut (as a hole)
    2.) Defined the mill part setup
    3.) Added 2.5 Axis feature, Hole, selecting bottom of hole face (not sure that matters as it is finding arc centers)
    4.) Generated Operation plan and saw succesful drill toolpaths

Then changed the paths as follows

5.) Edited the solidworks sketch the extrude cut is based on by dragging the circle sketch to a different area of the part
    6.) Clicked on the "CW" tab, PROMPT:

"Part has changed. Select Full to rebuild all CAMWorks data or Light if changes do not affect CAMWorks data."

Select: Light

7.) Checked toolpaths and hole is now drilled in new location.

Does this work for you? If not, is there any sort of color icon next to your feature on the CW tab? If you make a change that somehow changes the feature definition (as an example, cutting the 4th wall away from a pocket) it can cause camworks to get confused and not update. This is because it doesn't know what to do since the feature it is trying to plan for isn't compatible. This isn't likely since we are talking about hole drilling but just a thought.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks CW,

Your method worked great. That's one less programming issue I have to deal with.

Cheers,

Harv

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Glad it is working now. Those types of problems can be maddening.